Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone had a cortisone injection in the shoulder?
  • ianv
    Free Member

Had one in the elbow but for some reason I cant help feeling that a shoulder one will be way more gnarly.

Does it hurt?
    Will I be able to drive immediately after it?
    Will I need to stay off the (road) bike after it?

Curly68
    Free Member

I have had two in my right shoulder. Everyone said that it would hurt like hell but the first didn't. I went back a few months later as my shoulder was hurting bad again, they then did another injection which was a little worse than the first one. They had to push the needle up and along the bone to get to the part of my shoulder that was hurting. I had three injections that day in my shoulder! Two from the front and one in the rear. I had to lay off exercise for a couple of days due to swelling but driving was ok.
    In the end I had to have my shoulder redone as the damage was too bad!
    Hope yours turns out better!

jedi

why do you want it? what happened to the shoulder?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yep. Felt a bit weird with a foot-long needle going into my back to get the stuff underneath the shoulder blade and up into the shoulder ligament area. Felt faint immediately it was withdrawn, but no ill after-effects…

ianv
    Free Member

"why do you want it? what happened to the shoulder?"

Got hit by a car, over the bonnet and landed on my shoulder about 12 months ago.

I have some sort of inflammation in the shoulder gives me a shooting pain when I move the arm sharply or backwards (this efin hurts!). There is also a constant nagging pain (more managable)

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I have had many and often go for one when my left shoulder seizes up (I have Impingement syndrome on the shoulder cuff, both sides)
    I dont get any pain from them and in fact they work a treat for me.
    The right one has been sorted with an op but the left still causes hassle.

ianv
    Free Member

Thanks for that, feel reassured now

snakebite
    Free Member

I had 3 in my right shoulder/socket over 9 months….first two were not that effective so with the third and final

they had to get the 'quite thick needle' into the ball joint socket. This was done by pushing the needle in and then lifting my arm slowly to let the needle past bone/cartlidge etc….i felt the needle scrape on my arm bone…. I din't faint, but was quite sick as he pulled the needle out….luckily into a sink.

Ive since been told cortisone is a bad thing……

Bunnyhop

After a frozen shoulder which was dragging on and on the doctor finally agreed to an injection. I too was told it would be really painful, was surprised that it wasn't that bad. This didn't work though.
    3 months later I had another one, they were both in the front of the shoulder, but the Dr. tried a different place. This one worked a lot better.
    I just felt a bit funny for an hour after, with no other symptoms.

Go in the surgery with a postitive mind, this should help.

me1onhead
    Free Member

I think it depends on who is actually doing the procedure. I had two injections in the right shoulder from an orthopaedic consultant (an unpleasant experience as opposed to painful), but the injection I had for frozen shoulder administered by a registrar on the left side was far worse.
    However, I was in so much discomfort from the frozen shoulder that I was grateful for any help in alleviating the pain. The consultant warned me of a "steroidal spike" that I might experience for a few hours after the jab, so I drove straight home from the hospital and rested. He was right too – once the anaesthetic started to wear off an hour or so later, my shoulder throbbed like a umm…..throbbing thing for a few hours which would have made driving a car awkward if not dangerous.

brakes
    Free Member

my Mum had a frozen shoulder so the doc gave her a cortisone injection
    she felt so good afterwards she went straight out and did a load of gardening and made is twice as bad 😐

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a cortisone injection in the shoulder?’ is closed to new replies.