Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone had a 406 coupe?
  • Tiboy

Fancying one for our second car, which needs to be fun but have 4 seats and be <2k.

Anyone had one and got some feedback? or any other suggestions? 😯

Shibboleth
    Free Member

They’re just the same as any other 406, but less practical.
    If you’re after fun, I’d be looking elsewhere…

Always thought they were a very pretty car though.

starsh78
    Free Member

Mondeo ST220 is far more practical and quicker by 3/10 sec 😉

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I had one, was a total pig and I spent most of the 12 months of ownership in hire cars. Shibolleth summed it up very well

Harry_the_Spider

Brother in law has just bought one. I look forward to his tales of woe.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s a puegeot, it will have lots of random electrical faults. Probably quite nice to drive though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

306 cabrio? I looked at them and test drove one, it wasn’t bad, no idea re. reliability, and of course stw gave the idea a slagging.

Older Audi cabrio or similar?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

None of the Audis from that age that I tried were fun – I would look at an Alfa.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’d look at BMs, lots of choice so you should be able to find a good 3-series coupe within budget.

Celicas are a hoot too, again, lots of choice. I’d be avoiding any Alfa older than 2 weeks old 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Nothing other than the looks attract me to the 406 coupe – big VERY Heavy engine up front. I’ve no problems with peugeot electricals, never found that problem myself across several of them (he said, having just had to replace the washer pump – but not bad after 140K miles).

Tiboy

Well thanks for the opinions everyone, surprisingly someone actually offered a real personal experience which is great! rather than the usual I’ve herd they’re rubbish!

I’ve had an Alfa GT, was lovely but the build quality makes Halfords apollo bikes look downright special!

306 cab is an option but have had a 306 before, was a cracking car but the wife and I do have a rule to only have a car once.

BMW just doesn’t appeal, at that age finding a clean unmolested one is tricky and the image just doesn’t appeal, sorry! (and sorry to anyone who has one)

Harry the spider: which engine did he go for?

Cheers

NorthernStar
    Free Member

If you like the Pininfarina styling then what about the Fiat Coupe? Looks great inside and out (the Peugeot looks good from the outside, but on the inside you could be sitting in any car – pretty bland really).

If you go for the 20V Turbo version then it’s good for 155mph plus and there’s plenty around for less than 2k. Build quality is actually pretty good on these too as they were handbuilt by Pininfarina – not Fiat. Seats 4 adults in comfort so what’s not to like?

Tiboy

Sounds an option, will take a look, cheers! 😀

andyl
    Free Member

406 coupe 2.2 HDI and get it remapped. Plenty of power and you can drive it more as it is better on fuel than the V6 or the woeful 2.0 16V.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Also interesting that lots of people on still slate Italian cars – in particular Alfa for reliability issues.

Sure there were some issues in the past but things have vastly improved in the last 10-15 years.

My father works as an AA mechanic and to be honest he attends proportionally just as many breakdowns of German cars as he does Italian. He also says that 90% of these breakdowns are completely preventable and related more to the owner of the car rather than the actual car itself.

In other words if people look after their cars properly, regular servicing, check their oil, tyres, fuel etc, etc then most breakdowns would never happen.

Food for thought!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I was offering personal experience having owned a 307 xsi for the past 6 years. Nice enough to drive, lots of electrical faults. I wouldn’t buy another Peugeot that’s for sure.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The non-turbo 20V Fiat Coupe engine is suppossed to be rock solid – I heard. The 16v versions are the opposite.

I also heard that the insurance group on the Fiat Coupe is so high because the cabin is pininfarina so costs big to repair.

The Fiat Coupe I test drove had a very ‘power-steering’ feel to the steering, whereas the 156s I’ve had had lovely steering, better than the Alfa GT I have now.

I also test drove one of those Rover 220 Coupe things and that was a real fun drive but chewed the tyres.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a 406 coupe?’ is closed to new replies.