• This topic has 54 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by irc.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Anyone guilty of hoarding? Success or failure stories?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I went mad in our spare room recently…..whole van of junk mrs t- r oh but i might use that…we moved in 5 years ago- ive never seen it. Its going

And when i get back to aberdeen i plan to do the same in both garage – several piles of what can only be described as scrap parts from my recent landy project,,,,.3 engines , a whole discovery , a gearbox…………as well as other junk ancilleries.

Its actually therraputic. The only thing i like hoarding is wood….for the stove 🙂

How ever i go through phases and when it comes to bikes….that all gets hoarded. Its memories innit. Ive only sold 2 bikes in my life- usually ride to destruction- and i regretted both.

grey

Trailrat, I’ve still a Kangoo 4×4 multi space you might like 🙂

Northwind

I know exactly how it works with me, I’m a longterm ebayist and a bit hoardey and so if I’ve got anything that’s concievably got enough resale value to sell, I can’t bin it. But actually selling things is a pain in the arse so stuff gets boxed up or hoarded or stashed or heaped and generally buried to the point that only a fraction of it will ever get sold.

I actually did sort out and sell a ton of stuff over the last few months, the more you sell on ebay the less hassle it is per item after all so it’s been pretty productive. But the trick is to stay on top of it, so mostly I’m just avoiding putting anything new into the heaps, there’s a box of “to ebay next” which usually does get emptied. And to know when to give up- anything that doesn’t sell after a couple of goes at most gets binned or charity shopped.

A success story for the garage- I started metal scrap bins. Now stuff gets split into ferrous and alu and thrown in there. It’s still useful for scavenging- I pulled some bits of mech out a while back- but it takes things out of the “might be useful” pile. And some day I’ll actually weigh the alu in (the steel goes to the metal recycling). But even then it’s moved stuff from “hoard” to “get rid of” which is half the fight.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Youll need to hold onto it for a while for it to be worth weiing in…. 35p a lb for alu atm…..

Hence ill be taking all my scrap to recycling.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Did you ever email me about that – maybe it gone to my junk mail.

Im not allowed any more projects atm.

Ive been instructed that i must get the hall and bed rooms finished is year and at least get plans and structural calcs done for the extension for next year 🙁

Northwind

I’ve got, I dunno, 60 or 70kg probably. But it’s more the sentiment, in my head it’s already in the bin, I’ve just not taken the bin out yet. So it’s no longer “that mech that I might want a bit off some day”.

grey

I forgot to mail you,it only needs front springs and a rear calliper for mot.
    Well that’s what it failed on before Xmas.

br
    Free Member

I’ve got to be careful, as my workshop is 12 metres long, and double height – so even with loads of stuff in it, it doesn’t feel at all overflowing.

And then there’s the garage, which hasn’t a car in it and as is as big as the workshop…

wilburt
    Free Member
    Frankenstein
    Free Member

Think I need that book to add to the other books I have… Oh wait more clutter.

Ok going through stuff today as I bought mtb shoes and boxes are everywhere.

I can walk through the garage but can’t service my car or bikes as there is a fridge and washing maxhine.

Ordered a new bike too…

Today I aim to fill up my recycling bin and have a tidy bedroom 😀

twonks

I’m searching the utility room (excuse for a dumping ground) at the moment for a network hub that I bought 2 years ago as we now need it.

Whilst there I thought it would be good to have a clean out. So far have used 3 big rubble sacks and still have half of it to clear.

All sorts of crap. Boxes for items long since sold / thrown out. Old laptop & PC components. Music CDs everywhere.

Magazines went early in the summer but one thing I can’t let go is near on 1000 cds sat in the living room taking valuable extra chair space.

Loft has 4 suitcases full of clothes I’ll never wear, and the garage is a minefield of used rubbish mainly car audio and bike related.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My father:30,000LPs, no divorce.

RustySpanner

Is he having a new years eve bash?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hmmm?

irc

I’ll need to attack the garage/shed. Camping gear handed down from my dad I’ll never use. Not big stuff, bits and pieces.

A scabby Spesh Hardrock hanging in a corner with Ice Spiker tyres fitted. Just to save me changing tyres on my other MTB if we get snow.

Half a dozen part worn touring tyres despite the fact I’ve 4 or 5 new ones on the shelf for when the ones on the bikes need replacing.

Not hoarding – 3 brand new rapid rise rear deraillers. It isn’t hoarding when you stock up on something you’ll keep using but which isn’t made any more.

6 man Vango family tent bought for a holiday before plans had to change. Put up once in the garden. Need to gumtree/ebay that come spring.

And so on…..

Sounds bad. But Mrs IRC is 10X worse.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Anyone guilty of hoarding? Success or failure stories?’ is closed to new replies.