• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by bol.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone got/tried Pure Jongo multi-room wifi speakers?
  • bol

I’m asking the question a bit late, as I’ve already ordered them, but would be good to know how others have got on. I started off looking for a single Bluetooth speaker for our bedroom, but then started getting carried away looking at Sonos. I finally came across Jongo and then found an eBay store selling refurbished ones. I bought a couple of 20w rechargeable ones on a BOGOF and an adapter for my main stereo – under £100 all in.

Now, Sonos it won’t be, but hopefully it won’t be too bad for the money. Has anyone got any experience or tips?

Incidentally, their equivalent of the Sonos Play 5 (well 4.5 maybe) is currently on eBay refurbished for £100. If it all works well I’ll be snapping one of those up too – whole house ultimately for about 1/4 the price of Sonos?

ahwiles
    Free Member

we’ve got a few Pure bits and bobs, they’re not bad at all.

But the software’s a bit hit and miss.

for example, 1) Our Pure Jongo speakers don’t work with a BT homehub5, but the evoke radio does.

2) often the pure connect app’ will only play 1 track, and then close. repeatedly.

3) the multi-room function works, except when it just doesn’t – it’s about 50/50, cutting in and out.

4) the pure connect app’ will often totally fail to see the NAS.

now, i’m a computer moron, it’s very possible that all of this is my fault, but why does it need to be so problematic to listen to music? mostly, now, i just play music from my phone, through the Pure Voca, using the line-in.

rossburton
    Free Member

now, i’m a computer moron, it’s very possible that all of this is my fault, but why does it need to be so problematic to listen to music? mostly, now, i just play music from my phone, through the Pure Voca, using the line-in.

As someone who has read and tried to implement the main specifications (DLNA / UPnP) for doing this sort of thing it’s basically a miracle it works at all.

DLNA is a disaster but it was meant to be a standardised disaster. Sadly the point of DLNA – interoperability – is nonsense and there’s just so many bugs/quirks/crazy that making it work properly is almost impossible, which is basically why Apple and Google created Chromecast and Airplay respectively out of frustration. It’s just quite annoying that neither of them opened the technology so now instead of one broken but fixable way of doing networked audio we now have three ways: one still broken but fixable, and two closed ones that will never work together.

(Rant over)

bol

I understand there is a software patch to enable Jongo to work with Home Hub 5 now (although not an issue for me thankfully). I’ll give it a go and see what it’s like.

stumpy01

I kept looking at them, but was put off by the mixed reviews about the patchy quality of the apps & general software functionality.

I’d be interested to hear what you think of them.

In the end, my Wife got me a small Anker Bluetooth speaker that is so good I tend to use it all over the house where I originally intended to have a few Jongo speakers set-up; original idea was ‘old school stereo’ to remain in the living room, but then get a Jongo for our bedroom & one in the kitchen. But, the Anker speaker just gets carried around & battery life is so good I rarely have to charge it.

bol

Well, the unit to convert my existing stereo has turned up, and works well. The app is a bit clunky, but the sound quality is much better than my old Bluetooth connection. It is a bit frustrating that it will only stream locally stored music wirelessly, as I haven’t bothered storing music on my phone since iCloud, but the fact you can Bluetooth to any unit and then sync to the others wirelessly means that Spotify still works, albeit a bit more clunkily. Given that this little box cost me £14, I’m not complaining so far.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got/tried Pure Jongo multi-room wifi speakers?’ is closed to new replies.