• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by igm.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone got touring racks on a 456?
  • marionheck
    Free Member

Anyone? if so which model and hwo do they work?

Have foudn the tubus disco, any one have any experience of them?

Pictures greatly appreciated of any bike with rear racks and panniers.

Many thanks

Dave

druidh
    Free Member

I have a Topeak Super Tourist DX on my Ti hardtail. Clearance is huge, so I can’t imagine it being a problem on a 456.

I’ll see if I can find a pic for you.

slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve fitted a cheap non-disc specific rack on my Inbred, which has probably got a similar rear end to the 456.

I had to improvise to keep the disc brake side away from the calipers but the rack remained stable.
    BTW I tried doing the same with a more expensive Blackburn rack but it didn’t work.

Hope this is of some use.

brant
    Free Member

please note. rack mounts were only added to enable male purchasers to justify new frame as “being able to have a child seat fitted”, not for actual use.

julianwilson
    Free Member

nice touch, Brant! my mate had a bontrager rack (just found it in lbs) fitted to his summer season which cleared the hayes disc calliper just fine. I think it comes made with a slightly prettier version of slugwash’s modification already on it.

Clink

slugwash – one of your rotor bolts looks ‘loose’ – presume that pic was a while ago though?

slugwash
    Free Member

Clink wrote… ‘one of your rotor bolts looks ‘loose’ – presume that pic was a while ago though?’

Aha, I never noticed that detail in the photo before. The picture was taken in June and I did notice I’d lost a rotor bolt in the Autumn, so it could’ve fallen off anytime between those two times. Cheers anyway.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I had a wiggle lifeline one on mine, the bottom curly bit of the rack caught on my lx caliper slightly, it was below where the rack was all welded etc, so could have hacksawed it off if needs be.

Suppose rack, frame size, and disc caliper will all have a say in whether it’ll go.

igm

Brant – I not only used that excuse, I actually ran a Blackburn / CoPilot Limo childseat set up on my 456. All that was needed was one extra nut on the brake side rack mount as a spacer to spread the rack, plus a little hacksaw work on the hook on the bottom of the rack. Worked well, but the little one is on to a LOCT seat now.
    Can I send the 456 back for a full refund as it is no longer needed for child seat duties? (Or possibly a Ti456 if you could paint one red so it doesn’t get spotted as a new frame).
    My mate runs his daughter’s CoPilot on a standard Inbred (geared for child carrying of course).

Iain

VanHalen

please note. rack mounts were only added to enable male purchasers to justify new frame as “being able to have a child seat fitted”, not for actual use.

brant – i`ve just that very conversation with wifey. expect a call in 6 months or so when the nippers old enough to use a sprog seat.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Generally, a lot of racks which claim not to be compatible with discs seem to be OK in practice with a good deal of bodging.

🙂

igm

Van Halen – give me a shout at the same time if you want a seat and rack to go with – might well have one available… iain dot miller at CE dash ElectricUK dot com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got touring racks on a 456?’ is closed to new replies.