Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone got their rod stuck down their drain?
  • austinburner
    Free Member

Trying to clear a blocked drown, using rods with a brush attachment on end, went in fine but now can’t get the thing out.
    Gets stuck at the same point every time & I can’t shift it.
    Anyone had this & fixed it?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Is the rod actually “lost” down the drain?

scaredypants

No idea, but I’d guess the drain has a crack/misaligned section and the end’s hooking up on it. If it isn’t that far along, maybe shove something smoothish (bit of plaggy drainpipe ?) underneath the rod and see if that can lift the end over the lip ?

Wally

Use the double screw end – sounds like you have simply hit the fat/soap blockage. You have to screw through the break it up.

rwamartin
    Free Member

You have to screw through the break it up.

Ensure you twist the rod in the correct direction otherwise it unscrews.

allthepies
    Free Member

He can’t remove the rods i.e they won’t come out the way they went in.

crankboy
    Free Member

Has the blockage cleared? If so try flushing some water down you may have a bit of debris caught behind the brush. Otherwise a misaligned or broken pipe. In which case time for brute force and agnorance pull with steadily increasing force till the brush comes free or breaks. 50/50 chance you will need the drain checked. Next time use the screw end. I have no qualifications to post on this subject.

johndoh
    Free Member

I feel your pain – a cold wet Saturday was spent clearing ours. A few times I thought it had stuck but thankfully it freed. Could smell shit in my nose all day…

tomkerton
    Free Member

No but word of warning, I have snapped a set of rods in the drain, the brass collar failed.

Had to dig to the joint and get a drains man to break the pipe to retrieve the plunger and rods. Expensive, time-consuming and annoying.

Go careful, and if it’s stuck fast get a local independant bloke round (forget dynorod and the rest) to see what he can do and possibly CCTV/jetblast or otherwise sort the problem.

I feel your pain, good luck.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Is it top water drainage or foul?

lesgrandepotato

I might be missing the point, but have you looked for the next manhole down? It doesn’t have to come out forwards if you have enough length the make the next exit?

wwaswas

have you looked for the next manhole down?

That was my thought – can you keep pushing it through until you get to the next access point and then unscrew the end and pull just the rods back?

Android
    Free Member

I had a similar problem a while back. I managed to get it out by shoving just the rods from the next manhole up and bashing it on the end.

Good luck.

Andy

austinburner
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Thanks for all your worthy support & suggestions.
    Got an expert in & he found a manhole half way down the garden. When he lifted it, there was my rod end with the brush head – Doh!
    Anyway, rods removed & blockage now gone thanks to the experts.
    Will approach drains with a lot more caution in the future!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Anyway, rods removed & blockage now gone thanks to the experts.

I’m not sure an ‘expert’ was required to solve this…. just a little thought.
    I bet the ‘expert’ was laughing all the way to the bank.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got their rod stuck down their drain?’ is closed to new replies.