Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Anyone got their heating on yet?
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

on all the time, in as much as the thermostat (at the top of the stairs) is set to 15 degrees.
    Thinks it’s kicked in 3-4 times this last week.. Thermostatic valves on all radiators.
    We get a rebate on our bill every year but that is a. because a g’teed rebate is part of our ‘dual fuel’ agreement. b. we overpay every month to be sure we’re covered for the winter period. Overpayments are typically so much that we do end up asking for some of the credit amount to be paid back to us.

Oh, reminds me, must pick up some firelighters on the way home – woodburner will likely be lit tonight..

edlong
    Free Member

Tried to the other day when it was a bit parky.

At some point since the start of summer (?) something appears to have got f’d up and I’ve only got heating in the bathroom.

Anyone recommend a good heating engineer in South Leeds?

ac282

I leave the heating on morning and evening all year. I have the thermostat set at 17 – 18°C

I think the heating kicked in on a couple of mornings this week.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

cant have the radiator on in the hall because the front door is draughty – so all the heat would escape.

Sort the draught out then!
    That’s half the reason your heating is on full tilt, and the reason it’s costing you a fortune.

Junkyard
    Free Member

heating on in septemebr is is hell you soft lot

No fire till october minimum and no central heating till you can see your breath and then only if someone else complains

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Ice on the car windows this morning but warmed up this afternoon so maybe hold off a little longer as I’m a tightwad.

totalshell

just amended our pattern.

hot water 5.30-5.45 heating (18 c ) 5.30- 6.00
    pm hw 6.00- 6.10 heating (20 c ) 6 – 7.30

thus far the heating hasnt actually come on.. so all cosy on the pennines

last years gas usage at similar settings was 16k kwh

(4 bed detached 4 people)

soobalias
    Free Member

Sort the draught out then!

no that would ruin the aesthetics, besides the radiator isnt on in the hall, so whats the problem.

spawnofyorkshire

sorting out all draughts makes a big difference in your perception of how cold it is. The room may be only 1/2 degree cooler due to the draught, but if your sat in one, even a very light one will make you feel much colder.
    I draught-proofed my home, turned down the heating and halved my bills. Much more comfortable and the rooms are barely different in ambient temperature (measured with proper thermometers)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are your internal walls between the hall and heated rooms ?

Flaperon

Off until the clocks go back. Though since the bedroom is at the top of a well insulated three story house I’m tempted to fit another thermostat up there, assuming I can find the pipes.

soobalias
    Free Member

to be fair, the walls are pretty solid, the doors however are not at all and with not insignificant gaps at the bottom, due to floorboards/laminate rather than carpet.

dont tell ‘her’, but i have control of the thermostat in the boiler.

but those of you who like an argument, once you have finished the thermostat/radiators/draughts issue, might like to move on to the drying clothes by hanging them directly over the radiators.

brakes
    Free Member

yes, been on a couple of weeks now – wife has a paranoia about baby bakes turning into an ice lolly overnight.

Stoner
    Free Member

Still on solar thermal for the hot water here. Tank full of 60deg water. When it only manages to get to 50deg by the end of the day, it’s time to think about turning the biomass boiler on.

No need of heating yet. House is a cozy 20+deg in the evening thanks to the solar gain through the main south window letting the sun heat the floor.

However, it hasnt been cold down here on the malverns yet

brakes
    Free Member

show off

JRTG
    Free Member

Still warm on the south coast. Warm is a relative thing however. Wood store is full and ready for the first fire however.

tonyd

Nope, and the way gas prices are going not likely to be for a while yet!

My missus also feels the cold but has come round to the prospect of wearing jumpers instead – only taken 8 years and a couple of big gas bills.

And I’m not northern!

Edukator
    Free Member

24.5°C in here at present. In SW France we’re still using the shutters to keep the house cool. Outside it reached about 23°C this afternoon and will drop to 7°C overnight according to the forecast.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Nope. The houses on either side are doing a grand job of keeping this place warm without us having to turn our heating on. Upstairs windows never close here.

Drac

Even during the great freeze of Dec 2010? You must be made of tough stuff.

Bolier packed in 2 years ago we’ve never replaced it, we use the immersion heater for the water. We have a log burner and use that it keeps the house warm enough. I think people rely too much on CH now, not that’s a bad thing, but I grew up in a house that just had a coal fire that only heated the one room.

Edukator
    Free Member

but I grew up in a house that just had a coal fire that only heated the one room

Me too, it took a lot of breathing and rubbing to make a sight hole in the frost on my bedroom window to see out. I now live in a house that only has a small wood burner in one room. The difference being two or three layers of glass instead of one, insulated floors without a gale blowing up around the edge of the boards etc..

ourmaninthenorth

“(was over £40 per fortnight/and always had thermostat on lowest setting).”

how is that possible ? are you paying someone elses gas bill ?

Er, my central heating gas bills in the winter are c£130 every 7-10 days*.

But that’s cos the idiot previous owners chose bottled LPG over oil when they installed central heating (no mains gas).

We’ve just lit our stove in the past few days – toasty..!

*Heating on 90 mins in the morning, 4 hours in the evening. All day at the weekends. Well insulated house. It’s eye-wateringly expensive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How big is the house though….

Cant you get a bulk lpg tank fitted ?

br
    Free Member

Nope. The houses on either side are doing a grand job of keeping this place warm without us having to turn our heating on.

Aye, when I was a lad and it were cold we’d all sit round a candle – and when it came reet cold, we’d light it 🙄

Its currently 11c outside, just how cold do folk like to be in there own houses?

br
    Free Member

Er, my central heating gas bills in the winter are c£130 every 7-10 days*.

But that’s cos the idiot previous owners chose bottled LPG over oil when they installed central heating (no mains gas).

We’ve an oil-fired AGA (circa £200pcm average through the year), always on.

Edukator
    Free Member

Well insulated house

How many cms of insulation under the floor/floor baords?

How thick is your back door and what is in the sandwich?

How thick are the walls and what are they made of?

How many cms fo insulation do you have in the roof?

Klunk
    Free Member

heating not on yet sitting around the house in shorts and a t shirt, most pleasant.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

no that would ruin the aesthetics,

You’re taking the piss, right…?

besides the radiator isnt on in the hall, so whats the problem.

Fine. Your money down the drain, not mine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

We have oil , gone from a piece of crap 20 year old vented tank system to a grant vortex combi and new twin panel convectior rads with trvs and judging by how quick it can heat the house up when i turn it on now it should cut our oil consumption by a mile compared to the time it used to take.

That and sticking 300mm insulation in attic, and walls upstairs with space blanket foil bubble wrap under all downstairs floor coverings the house seems to hold heat better than it did when we moved in.

Ewan
    Free Member

Hmmm I’d noticed that I was feeling cold with no jacket on in the morning at the station…. having consulted a local weather stations records turns out it was 5 degrees!

No heating for me until at least October. I may consider a jacket if it keeps on being cold.

BTW. Isn’t it better to have the heating on constantly at a low level than turn it on / off?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yes – a little. A draughty house and have become a soft southern softy. Oh, the shame of it…

South east dweller. Heating will probably go on sometime around bonfire night and then the thermo around 17.5-18., grew up in houses with no central heating and just an open fire in the front room so can’t stand sweltering hot rooms. Radiator in bedroom is always off.

soobalias
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

no that would ruin the aesthetics,

You’re taking the piss, right…?

besides the radiator isnt on in the hall, so whats the problem.

Fine. Your money down the drain, not mine.

I wish i was taking the piss. Mrs-alias would obviously rather give our money away than admit she is wrong/mental/stupid

Gweilo
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    We have oil , gone from a piece of crap 20 year old vented tank system to a grant vortex combi and new twin panel convectior rads with trvs and judging by how quick it can heat the house up when i turn it on now it should cut our oil consumption by a mile compared to the time it used to take.

If i give you an email address can you let me have the details on the system you’ve gone for? I’m on oil as well and the boiler is in danger of getting a preservation order slapped on it by National Heritage…

And yes the heating’s on in Water End Herts

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

No choice here, the bloody radiators come on when only the hot water should be on. My wife is happy about this but ATM she’s at work so I’m sitting here with the back door open & all heating switched off!
    Hard as snails me.

mudshark
    Free Member

Forget heating the house, just give everyone a hot water bottle.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Gwello
    If you wish but its not complex

Its a grant vortex combi pro 26kw external unit

Delonghi double panels with trvs except in bathroom which has a fancy towel rail

Salus rf500 thermostat

Gone for kiss at the moment. As we have had no hot water on tap since we moved in because the systems like esselgruntfuttocks where you had to have heating on to get hot water – coupled with some faulty motorised valves.

Hohum
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Even during the great freeze of Dec 2010? You must be made of tough stuff.

Bolier packed in 2 years ago we’ve never replaced it, we use the immersion heater for the water. We have a log burner and use that it keeps the house warm enough. I think people rely too much on CH now, not that’s a bad thing, but I grew up in a house that just had a coal fire that only heated the one room.

Aaah, so you do have at least some sort of heat source in your house then.

I remember that picture you posted of the snowfall with the ruler in it back in Nov or Dec 2010 and I think I know roughly what part of the country you live in and it wasn’t the warmest, or should I say least cold, during that time.

I grew up in Plymouth and then a little place down in Cornwall and we did not have central heating (in Plymouth we had some of those rubbish 70s storage heaters), but luckily the winters were never that bad down there.

matt_outandabout

Yup, couple of (storage) heaters on here for a couple of weeks. One more tonight, but we have had two ‘almost frosts’ (this morning was 1*c)… Sadly we have only electric, and no choice of supplier as only one does the system we are on – estimated heating bill this year is £2400… 🙁

restless
    Free Member

but I grew up in a house that just had a coal fire that only heated the one room.

Me too, that is why I put my heating on now, so I am not cold.
    I don’t want to be reminded of being permanently cold throughout my childhood. It was not pleasant. I like to feel warm.

seadog101

Our thermostat thingie is somewhat akin to a nuclear power station control system. Apart from making the temp go up and down a bit, I dare not touch it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got their heating on yet?’ is closed to new replies.