Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • anyone got the new imac?
  • IanW
    Free Member

Not sure if mines the latest, its about 6 months old silver and very nice. Get one.

footflaps

Why no higher than 8GB? I was using all 16GB of my ram on my 2012 MBP last night while working on some gopro video.

My 2010 MBP can only take up to 8Gb, which seems a bit arbitrary as it’s 64-bit so should be fine up to 32Gb.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

On the shortlist for the lamest p#ssing content of 2012

Who said it was a contest?

Because the half a#se version that they made for windows is rubbish and slow and memory hungry.

It’s not i tunes’ fault that its made on and designed for macs is it? It’s windows fault for being so out of touch. All they do is port the software to PC. Microsoft might even do that, I’m not sure.

manmurray

So…going back to the OP’s question. I have a new iMac (base spec 21″) sat in the corner at the mo. Having used pretty much every mac since the late 90s (work in a design agency), I’d say it’s the nicest desktop machine I’ve come across. Am sure the 27″ will be better still.

The screen is really, really nice. Noticably better than the last gen – not just the glare (or lack of), just seems really vibrant. Speed-wise feels about the same. The older machines look amazingly boxy in comparison.

This one’s actually soon-to-be my mum’s, replacing an eMac which is still going strong after 8 years. In the same period my dad’s been through 4 PCs, had the pain of crap AV software, backup woes etc etc. Given I’m IT support to both of them, I know which platform I’d recommend.

I only wish they’d keep the numeric pad on the damn keyboard…ho hum.

cjmeep
    Free Member

i got a macbook in 2007 new and never had one problem and ran just as fast as when i got it, untill it took a cup of water couple months ago.

safe to say its not doin so well now.

ill never go back to windows just because as time goes on they get slower and hard to deal with. i use to have to spend a whole day each month cleaning up the old pc running antivirus and that and im glad i dont have to do that any more.

ive just got the 15″ retina MBP i7, 8gb ram, 500gb to replace my old macbook and its sooo light and thin. so it does not have disc drive. to be honest i never realy use it much but i have got the external one apple do just incase i need one

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

i got a macbook in 2007 new and never had one problem and ran just as fast as when i got it, untill it took a cup of water couple months ago.

Did you try to rescue it using any of the old tricks? Dry rice on a towel on radiator with covers off etc? :p

If it’s dead it’s dead, but i’ve heard of mbp’s and iphones suddenly coming back to life after days or weeks of the owner thinking they’re dead for good lol

cjmeep
    Free Member

it killed the motherboard nout bringing that back lol. other half spilt water on hers but was fine just had to get new bit of ebay for £20 and was up and running. im keepin this new one well out of everyones way haha

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Well.. the gaming PC that I mentioned has (of course) found an issue with itself as all the PC’s I’ve ever owned seem to do, repeatedly.

It worked perfectly for about 3 months, but today I got a message in the morning saying: Chassis Intrusion, Fatal Error, System stopped.

So i’ve done the usual days worth of trawling forums, looking for solutions and tinkering with the thing.

Removed the mobo, removed the mobo battery to reset the BIOS. Can’t get into BIOS settings because the error message over rides it. No metal touching mobo components. Searched for lead that connects case sensor with mobo – there isn’t one because it’s a cheap ass case. Put it all back together, battery back in – nothing.

Seriously ticked off with ASUS right now. I’m going to have to send the thing back, or risk my warranty by soldering a wire between the sensor point and some other part of the MOBO to remove the message but risk overheating the MOBO if my soldering is bad or it simply doesn’t work.

What a load of cack.

grantway
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Sure, go ahead, buy cheap, you’ll be getting the equivalent of a Halfords Apollo bike, when you could have the equivalent of a Turner.
    Windows simply needs a clean out every now and then. Nobody throws macs out because they are still paying them off

Dell makes some great machines that last really well. My last laptop did 6 years fine. My current workhorse PC just gets periodic upgrades to keep it on top – small amount each year. Still better value than a Mac.

Keep kidding yourself and the world just maybe Square

grantway
    Free Member

All I can say about PC’s is that over the past 8 years I spent £1,500 for my PC and that died
    with a virus.
    I then bought a Laptop £ 1,100 and that died with a virus.
    Then bought another Laptop £ 600 that too died of a virus
    All used with the most upto date antivirus software.

I bought my Daughter an Apple white laptop £ 800 and still going strong after 8 years
    So I bought the Mac Book Pro and will NEVER go back to a PC You just don’t realise
    how Crap/shit a PC is until you have had a Mac.

All I can say is once when I was a PC user I shared some of the views of the PC users here
    But now just ignore them

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Keep kidding yourself and the world just maybe Square

you too

All I can say about PC’s is that over the past 8 years I spent £1,500 for my PC and that died
    with a virus.

A virus that kills hardware, nice way to go were there sparks and all that.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well.. the gaming PC that I mentioned has (of course) found an issue with itself as all the PC’s I’ve ever owned seem to do, repeatedly.

with a virus.

zokes
    Free Member

with a virus.

PEBKAC

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I’m not sure it’s been mentioned yet, but the 21″ iMac’s don’t have upgradeable RAM any more. Just the 27″.so when buying you have to spec it out for life

xiphon
    Free Member

Just to throw a wobbly into the discussion, I’m running OSX 10.8 on PC hardware 😉

It’s the OS which makes Mac’s great – not their hardware (exception being the beautiful aluminium bodied MBPs…)

MrsToast
    Free Member

Yeah what do you do with it though? My macbook pro has done 3 years of none stop 3d rendering, video editing, illustrator, photoshop and web design software use every day of the week, it goes on at 10am, and off at 2am. Will never beat a mac in my eyes. Each to their own, but I do think the ‘value’ offerings out there are a false economy.

Our studio has 175+ Dell PCs that are used for 3d modelling, rendering and animation (in Maya & Z-brush), 2d art (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Painter for the weirdos), video editing (with Premiere,After Effects, etc), coding (Visual Studio plus all the associated middleware for different projects), world building and editing, audio and gaming (for lunchtime fun, lots of FPSes and swearing). Some of the PCs are never switched off – the owners of which get arsey emails from admin about saving electricity. 😛

I had an iMac once – admittedly it was one of the second generation iMacs, so quite some time ago. I can honestly say that I had more crashes on that iMac in one year than I have had on all of the Windows PCs I’ve ever used or owned in the past ten years. I do love me iPad though.

with a virus.

Sandwich

one of the second generation iMacs

System 8 and 9 were not fantastic, I still have nightmares of control panel and extension conflicts. Thank god for Conflict Catcher.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I do so adore that gif posted above.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nobody throws macs out because they are still paying them off

Always paid up front for mine and then they have paid for themselves in a few days. If you have to scrimp/save budget for a computer maybe you are better off with one of those £100 tablets that are so good 🙄

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Jamie
    Free Member

Image link would work on a PC.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Clearly you’re on a PC, and I’m on a Mac, and it works for me lol.

Jamie
    Free Member

Clearly you’re on a PC, and I’m on a Mac, and it works for me lol.

Yup. That’s the reason.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘anyone got the new imac?’ is closed to new replies.