Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • anyone got the new imac?
  • nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Just wandering what peoples thoughts on it are. Is it a massive change from the last generation? And is the screen any better?

looking at the 21″ 2.7ghz model with 8gb ram and i7.

Jamie
    Free Member

Get a lovely Dell for half the price.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Ordered the 27″ earlier: i7, 8GB, 680MX, 1TB fusion

The screen is supposedly an improvement over the last version as the reflection is greatly reduced.

CountZero

Jamie – Member
    Get a lovely Dell for half the price.

Yeah, and see it dumped in a year’s time.
    At work, we have a locked room, with old IT stuff in. Two shelves are full of old PC’s, by which I mean about 18 months-two years. In our studio we have two iMacs, previous model, about three to four years old, plus two Mac towers, around eleven to twelve years old, both useable, but not in use, and one from 2001, still in use as a server.
    I have a perfectly usable eight-year old PowerBook. I recently saw a bunch of gutted PC’s none older than two years, thrown in a skip at work.
    Sure, go ahead, buy cheap, you’ll be getting the equivalent of a Halfords Apollo bike, when you could have the equivalent of a Turner. 😀

CNET reviews Apple’s new iMac: Serious, fast, an easy recommendation; Editors’ Choice…
    http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/wordpress/xhfA/~3/f8U0qle7kkM/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sure, go ahead, buy cheap, you’ll be getting the equivalent of a Halfords Apollo bike, when you could have the equivalent of a Turner.

Windows simply needs a clean out every now and then. Nobody throws macs out because they are still paying them off 🙂

Dell makes some great machines that last really well. My last laptop did 6 years fine. My current workhorse PC just gets periodic upgrades to keep it on top – small amount each year. Still better value than a Mac.

Jamie
    Free Member

Yeah, and see it dumped in a year’s time.

A year? Really?

Even for you CZ, that’s a stretch.

druidh
    Free Member

I prefer a depilator.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Dell makes some great machines that last really well. My last laptop did 6 years fine. My current workhorse PC just gets periodic upgrades to keep it on top – small amount each year. Still better value than a Mac.

Yeah what do you do with it though? My macbook pro has done 3 years of none stop 3d rendering, video editing, illustrator, photoshop and web design software use every day of the week, it goes on at 10am, and off at 2am. Will never beat a mac in my eyes. Each to their own, but I do think the ‘value’ offerings out there are a false economy.

I prefer a depilator.

You’d have to.

The screen is supposedly an improvement over the last version as the reflection is greatly reduced.

Yeah, i’m sold on the i7 upgrade from i5 as standard, but will probably go with the 21″ version. Have you found lack of cd drive particularly annoying? I can’t for the life of me work out why they would take it out. Either way, I’m getting one and I’m sure I will love it as always.

seosamh77
    Free Member

nukeproofriding – Member

but I do think the ‘value’ offerings out there are a false economy.I’ll take ye into my work sometime and show you a mac graveyard.

Hell, just today I was pulling apart a couple of imacs to make one good one.

A computer is a computer, a mac is no more reliable than a pc box.

retro83
    Free Member

Yeah what do you do with it though? My macbook pro has done 3 years of none stop 3d rendering, video editing, illustrator, photoshop and web design software use every day of the week, it goes on at 10am, and off at 2am. Will never beat a mac in my eyes. Each to their own, but I do think the ‘value’ offerings out there are a false economy.

3 years? Meh, I’ve still got a Thinkpad T23 from 2002 in use (mind, I’ve got an LCII as well) 🙂

seosamh77 – Member
    nukeproofriding – Member
    but I do think the ‘value’ offerings out there are a false economy.

I’ll take ye into my work sometime and show you a mac graveyard.
    Hell, just today I was pulling apart a couple of imacs to make one good one.

Indeed, and Apple have sold some God-awful shite for premium prices which they really should have recalled.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah what do you do with it though?

You know just dick about on the internet…
    3d Simulation Modelling across all cores
    Video Editing
    Big Data Crunching
    DB Work

In the end I did like my old work IBM workstation was very solid for 4 years hard labour.
    The HP’s that replaced it were the same.

This

Is the truth, most are assembled in factories where people earn peanuts to put together components all from the same factories. The only difference with apple is marketing & mark up.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

You say that, but I’ve never been let down by one.

We have gumdrop g3s, mac 128k’s and even SE’s running in the ‘ancient history’ section of our office. None of them have ever broken.

Anyway, why every topic in internet history has to break down into a tit for tat on the subject of mac vs microsoft is beyond me. Pointless argument, each to their own etc.

Jamie
    Free Member

The only difference with apple is marketing & mark up

To be fair the level of craftsmanship is usually higher. CNC’d aluminium on portable Macs for example. Yes you pay for it, but it is a factor.

seosamh77
    Free Member

nukeproofriding – Member
    Anyway, why every topic in internet history has to break down into a tit for tat on the subject of mac vs microsoft is beyond me.

That was my point, you’re the one defending apples honour! :mrgreen: I’m saying give my anything half powerful and i’ll make it do what I want. technology is fairly equal between apple and microsoft.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

I never mentioned apples honour nor pc until someone jumped in and said get a pc instead for half the price, which then lead to ‘pc’s are more reliable’ so I had to! :mrgreen:

seosamh77
    Free Member

nukeproofriding – Member
    I never mentioned apples honour nor pc until someone jumped in and said get a pc instead for half the price, which then lead to ‘pc’s are more reliable’ so I had to!

wont someone think of the poor multinationals! :mrgreen:

Jamie
    Free Member

So. It’s a no to the Dell?

wrecker
    Free Member

(Serious question) is this true for an IT feckwitt? My biggest annoyance with pc’s is how shit they are after a couple of years even with anti spy this and anti virus that. My PC is a few years old now but was bloody high spec (and expensive) when I built it and now it won’t even play my go pro vids. Used to play fairly good graphics games too. This is the main reason I’m looking at an iMac. Will it be as shit?
    As I say, honest question. I don’t know what to expect.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Yes Jamie, sorry. Although if it’s any consolation I have a PC which I built to run 3 hour 3d renderings etc. in the background, and also for gaming. I.E. Skyrim. That’s why I bought it. Skyrim ffs.

It’s a bit of a beast, but in a cheap toshiba case I found lying around. Quad core, lots of ram, big video card etc. yadda yadda.

But it will never replace any of my macs, they have a special place in my heart. And without them I probably wouldn’t earn a dime. Well, I’d be back behind a bar serving drinks or robbing banks or something.

Will it be as shit?

CATEGORICALLY, UNDENIABLY, NO! Join the church of apple. If you ring them up you can normally wangle them into giving you an extended 3 year warranty free. I’ve owned loads of mac’s and have never had to send anything for repairs. EVER.I think Pc’s grinding down has something to do with the fact they’re made from cheap ass components, the boards and soldering are shite unless you buy the components separately and assemble them and windows tires the shit out of everything it touches. They’re designed to fail within a year or two, because it’s good for business.

druidh
    Free Member

The hardware is almost identical.

The Apple Operating Systems are more restrictive with regards to what you can run on them, this is a GOOD thing as it means you are less likely to get ill-behaved programs trampling over each other. However, it is also a BAD thing as you have less choice. However, if you can get everything you need to run on your Mac, then be happy that you are paying for that assurance of compatibility.

Truth is, if you don’t keep loading crap programs on a PC and you’re not stupid about clicking on links in dubious emails, the PC will also run trouble-free for years.

As has already been said above, a re-load of Windows on a PC will often brighten the whole thing up, restore performance and kill any lingering errors.

seosamh77
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

(Serious question) is this true for an IT feckwitt? My biggest annoyance with pc’s is how shit they are after a couple of years even with anti spy this and anti virus that. My PC is a few years old now but was bloody high spec (and expensive) when I built it and now it won’t even play my go pro vids. Used to play fairly good graphics games too. This is the main reason I’m looking at an iMac. Will it be as shit?

As I say, honest question. I don’t know what to expect.honest answer, for graphics work, I prefer os x, purley for expose and the drag and dropability of the OS.

For home stuff, browsing, music, films, torrents, office ie everyday usage, I use both, and don’t have any preference or bother with either one slowing down. I hardly turn either machine off from month to month.

any modern i3 should last the average user for years and years without any slowing down. I’m still getting away with a p4 2.8 running XP and a core2duo running 10.4 for stuff in the house no bother(although I’m going to have to update the mac’s OS as lack of support for browsers is becoming a pain.)

seosamh77
    Free Member

brighten the whole thing up

As will maxing the RAM on old computers.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

The hardware is almost identical.

Depends what model, and the only things that are the same are the processor, possibly the power unit, the graphics card and wifi card.

Motherboards, screens, wiring, chassis, cooling methods, psu etc. are all different and make all the difference.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Motherboards, screens, wiring, chassis, cooling methods, psu etc. are all different and make all the difference.

Uh Hu yeah of course they are, the LCD’s are made by x,y or z. Along with everything else most likely LG, samsung, Foxcon etc.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ok, I’m a self confessed IT knob. BUT I will not install program’s, toolbars, shite etc. I really try to be careful but I’m obviously not good enough to keep a PC going. I’m quite particular about that. I’ll be fair, my PC ain’t new but it cost me more than a grand for the bits for the tower and now it can’t even play a flipping video. I’m obviously not a programmer, the most demanding thing it needs to do is let me play with my precious go pros. Not a lot to ask I don’t think.
    I’m a basic home user. Windows has lost my confidence bit I also really hate iTunes.
    Seosamh, im interested to hear you

r opinion on this.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m a basic home user. Windows has lost my confidence bit I also really hate iTunes.

iTunes 11 might change your mind.

seosamh77
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Ok, I’m a self confessed IT knob. BUT I will not install program’s, toolbars, shite etc. I really try to be careful but I’m obviously not good enough to keep a PC going. I’m quite particular about that. I’ll be fair, my PC ain’t new but it cost me more than a grand for the bits for the tower and now it can’t even play a flipping video. I’m obviously not a programmer, the most demanding thing it needs to do is let me play with my precious go pros. Not a lot to ask I don’t think.

what’s the spec of your computer? processor and RAM I’m looking at here? And also how much free space do you have on your harddrive(as that can affect performance if it really low, i.e under a couple of gig)

HD video(4gig mkv’s) plays fine on this p4 2.8 with 2gig RAM and XP. I’d imagine windows 7 or 8 will need higher spec than that mind you.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Point is mike, it’s all different to budget pc’s.

Mac’s use quality components like panasonic batteries, and the motherboards are excellent.

Imac’s are not built by foxconn – they are assembled in the US by various factories, but the components come from all over the world. None of the components in the imac are made by foxconn, they just do the iphone.

now it can’t even play a flipping video.

Software issue maybe? I.e. drivers for graphics card?

wrecker
    Free Member

I have a p4 (6600 rings a bell) with a tera HD half full with 4 GB RAM and a good nvidia Graphics card.
    Yep, the PC maybe clogged but that’s kind of my point.
    Windows vista ultimate.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wrecker

Basics –
    Create a backup or get a second drive to store all your docs, photos, videos etc on.
    Re install Windows
    Start fresh.
    Max out the ram that you can fit – easy and cheap to do

If you keep an OS disc and data on other drives then you can easily start from scratch. If it’s windows 7 you can take a backup image of the OS drive once you have installed everything.

That should restore you to where you were performance wise at the start.

If you don’t want to go that way have a look at what is installed, things like TOmTOm, Printers, DropBox, Spotify and loads more all come on at startup. This is to give a perception that they load quicker but really just hang round in the background. Turn of the load on startup for these and uninstall stuff you don’t use. Swap security to Microsoft Security Essentials a lot of others are bloated and slow stuff down.

If all of that fails if you see what your chip is that can also be upgraded nice and cheaply (unless you are at the top spec for the board).

wrecker
    Free Member

Mike; do you think there’s life in the old dog?
    Quite importantly; is this viewed as a fairly common/ frequent maintenance regime for a PC? If do, would it be reduced if I did buy a mac? Sorry iMac.

seosamh77
    Free Member

have a p4 (6600 rings a bell) with a tera HD half full with 4 GB RAM and a good nvidia Graphics card.
    Yep, the PC maybe clogged but that’s kind of my point.
    Windows vista ultimate.

Could well be that you are just on the limit there mate, P4 and vista might not go well together is my instinct, as you’ve got plenty ram and HDD space..

What player are you using, I just stick with the trusty old VLC player for video, so I don’t have to mess with codecs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you keep an OS disc and data on other drives then you can easily start from scratch. If it’s windows 7 you can take a backup image of the OS drive once you have installed everything.

That should restore you to where you were performance wise at the start.

If you don’t want to go that way have a look at what is installed, things like TOmTOm, Printers, DropBox, Spotify and loads more all come on at startup. This is to give a perception that they load quicker but really just hang round in the background. Turn of the load on startup for these and uninstall stuff you don’t use. Swap security to Microsoft Security Essentials a lot of others are bloated and slow stuff down.

If all of that fails if you see what your chip is that can also be upgraded nice and cheaply (unless you are at the top spec for the board).

or just buy something that just works

druidh
    Free Member

Vista Ultimate – why? There’s probably a whole load of stuff in there that you don’t need and/or use – Bitlocker for one.

druidh
    Free Member

He did.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He did.

Who did?

wrecker
    Free Member

May I have a little computing rant?
    Ill make it balanced, promise.

seosamh77
    Free Member

please do, rants are great fun! 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Mike; do you think there’s life in the old dog?
    Quite importantly; is this viewed as a fairly common/ frequent maintenance regime for a PC? If do, would it be reduced if I did buy a mac? Sorry iMac.

Possibly….

If it ran fine on day 1 then there is hope 🙂

A good cleanup may help and is worth doing anyway especially if you are going to move or upgrade anyway.

As in the previous post you can upgrade a few things for not too much cash.
    Chip up to max on the board
    Motherboard & Chip plenty of good bundle deals around
    Combine Board/Chip/W7 as an upgrade then it will zip along. Otherwise Ubuntu is the other method for PC acceleration.
    All for a fraction of the cost of an imac.

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks for the go ahead. That was all I need.
    I’m a complete computers knob, well compared to you guys (and most to be fair). My grandma and grandfather on the other hand are absolute PC novices.They got a PC on the advice of their daughters (it’ll be great; email, facebook, shopping, etc etc).
    I feel fortunate; my PC was operational for a good few years because I was aware of the shite floating about. They stood no chance. I turned their machine on (as apparently I was the Family “expert”. Took 20 mins to boot. The I manage to look at what’s going on and there is toolbars galore, all, sorts of shit.
    Now I know it is their fault, I know that computers need an amount of knowledge, but in my opinion they’re not really user friendly as yet. I’m a cautious bloke when it comes to computery stuff (if nothing else) and was/am happy that mine has lasted 4odd years. Seriously disappointed that it struggles with my riding vids from Italy though. Was 6 months ago and I haven’t even seen them yet. Pretty shit. I’ve ran anti spyware, avg and many others. Shit.

I thought apple would be the answer to my prayers. However I have an ipad, 2 iPhones (work and own), my wife has an iPhone an Apple TV and heard about an apple utopia. BUT I’m seriously **** off. Why do apple insist on syncing everything as a default? Wife was receiving my texts (in and out) on default setting. I have nothing to hide (happily married) but it was majorly annoying. Same with contacts. She deleted my contacts from her phone and I lost everyone’s number. Shit. Every. Time I plug my Iphone into my laptop to charge it, noton.y does iTunes kick off, so does iTunes Store and all the **** numbers transfer from one phone to the other. It’s properly gripping my shit. These options should be enabled by the user not default. Why do apple think they know best? Just **** off and make us look for the functionality. iTunes has lost my media so many times now.
    We had our heart set on an iMac but I’m seriously concerned that well be buying kit which might last longer but will seriously piss me off in the process.
    iTunes is dogshit, iCloud is dogshit. Is everything else dogshit?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘anyone got the new imac?’ is closed to new replies.