Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone got the Highland Trail 550 route on pdf/gpx/tcx or similar
  • grizzpup
    Free Member

Hi folks looking to do an out of season ride of this (not now obv!) and wondered if anyone has the trace. email me in profile – any help gratefully received

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

2017 GPX sent,good luck.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s no one route, it’s changed each year for various reasons. 2016 & 2017 were almost identical with just a couple of minor variations due to hydro-electric and bridge works. This (2018) year’s is slightly different again but it’s only been sent to those entered in the group start.

There’s a few threads on the Bearbones forums about the route.

Generally it’s easy to follow as there aren’t a huge number of tracks to choose from. The biggest problems I had were usually turning off roads onto the trails especially near villages as there could be a few options. Once on the right track then you’d have several hours of riding before having to make another choice.

Feel free to ask questions either on here, on the HT550 2018 thread on the BB forums or by PM.

ontor
    Free Member
    whitestone
    Free Member

Too late to edit, I assume you’ve seen this piece which has lots of good info.

Ontor’s route from Ridewithgps is a mixture of the 2015 route and the 2016/17 route. It has the new start out via Glen Lyon and Ben Alder but the old route out of Fisherfield to Poolewe rather than the Postman’s Path alongside Loch Maree.

grizzpup
    Free Member

Thank you all very much – really helpful. I live in Deeside so am able to tackle this as and when a weather window presents itself. Route will help – ta

NZCol

When is the 2018 mass start ? I’ve got a week off in May and was planning to ride the main loop +/- some interesting bits depending on time.

scotroutes

Starts May 26th. It’s considered “impolite” to ride it at the same time 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

As I noted on the thread about OSM maps, the current cycle version of the UK map has the original and 2017 versions of the HT550 already marked.

Most who ITT or tour the route close to the group start either do it the week before or start a couple of days later. The central and northern loops are the meat of the route if you wanted something shorter. I applied and got on the group start last year but if I hadn’t then I’d have headed off the weekend before the group start.

NZCol

Ah, that’s when i have time off !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got the Highland Trail 550 route on pdf/gpx/tcx or similar’ is closed to new replies.