Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone got a 2018 Whyte 909?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Would love to hear your thoughts so far. Thinking of ordering one. Thanks.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Of course, looking forward to the Singletrack review, but can’t really wait that long (blatant thread bump)!

stwhannah

We’re aiming for an early February review! Just the small matter of a magazine to send to the printer first! Good things come to those who wait (or possibly to those who can’t be bothered to wait and order one anyway 🙂 )

qwerty
    Free Member

Its a Whyte so it’ll be great, review will be something along the lines of: “long, low, slack, some pedal strikes you’ll adapt to, well specced at price point, designed in UK so ample clearance for 27+ / 29″, may want to change tyres for something more suited to your local terrain, great colour scheme” 😉

astormatt
    Free Member

I have one! What Qwerty said is about right 😉

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

possibly to those who can’t be bothered to wait and order one anyway

Yep, that’s about right! Come on astormatt, put some effort in 😀

slowbloke
    Free Member

My girlfriend has one and she loves it. She probably rides it more than her full susser. I’ve had a quick blast but as it’s a small and I’m 6’4” it’s a bit like riding a BMX for me. Pretty good spec wise apart from the lever to operate the dropper post which just seems to feel a bit cheap and flimsy – apparently you don’t notice it when riding though.

astormatt
    Free Member

Well, you definitely will have to get used to the low bb, i am still occasionally caught out on technical climbs, trying to get an extra pedal stroke in etc.

It looks awesome in the flesh.

Handling is great, i have replaced the standard 760mm bars with some 785’s. The grips are comfortable and grippy, but they taper on the outside edge which i don’t really get on with as i like to have my hands right on the end of the bars, just makes the bars width feel slightly smaller.

It is a fast bike, took it to bpw a few times last month and got quite a lot of pb’s, climbs ok, get a bit of front end lift when on steeper climbs, don’t know whether to put it down to the bike or poor technique from me.

Can’t fault any of the kit on it now….had some issues with the eagle rear mech, but since the bike shop replaced the gear hanger it has been faultless.
    I have fitted a set of Magic Mary’s for winter and uplift days, but the High Roller/Rekon’s are a great combo.

Sizing feels perfect to me, i am 5’8 and on a medium. It is exactly what i was after, fast and fun.

Oh, i might have already said it looks awesome in the flesh!

This is when i first got it.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/another-new-bike-day

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks for the write up astormatt. I’m 5 11 and think I’ll go for the large, but it’s a long bike!

gribble
    Free Member

That looks sweet – probably what I should have got!

rOcKeTdOg

Got a 905 in the shop, it is a brilliant ride, thought I’d hate tge long slack thing but am now looking to get a frame with similar geometry myself

rOcKeTdOg

Double post

rootes1

i have been looing at the 905 and 909, tested a 901 (XL) for size.

I did notice that the 905 gets a smaller offset fork than the 909. Wonder if it makes much odds?

909 looks proper JPS Lotus – awesome!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

How do you find they size up? Long top tubes so I was debating a medium or large (5ft 11″) but went for a large.

rootes1

Well sizing wise I am 6’5″ so the XL was ok, just, though seat tube was a bit short on the 901 for a non dropper, be ok with a longer dropper. length was good though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a 2018 Whyte 909?’ is closed to new replies.