Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone got Superstar Switch Evo 150mm rear hub?
  • kevin1911

Just wondering if anyone has a Superstar Switch evo hub in 150mm width? I’m trying to find out if there is supposed to be a washer on the non-drive side where the hub touches the frame. According to the exploded diagrams there should be, but mine doesn’t seem to, and the wheels seems to get very draggy when the axle is tightened up.

Would be really grateful if anyone could confirm if there’s has such a washer, and whether it’s loose, or fitted into the hub bearing cover thing.

Cheers, Kevin

kevin1911

Any of the evening crew?

legend
    Free Member

Nope, just the end cap for the axle on the ones I have here (admittedly older Switch models, but think this is the same). Link to the diagram?

kevin1911

Thanks legend. Is the end cap completely flush on the side where it touches to the frame? On mine, the black end cap sits proud of the metal coloured knurled washer…cant help thinking that there should be some sort of washer so that the end cap itself doesnt take the load and squash the rotating part of the bearings. If that doesnt make sense, I’ll take a picture.

The diagram is here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B67B2OUxrnnUYjF3ZHFqdVhVTlE/preview?pli=1

Part 3 is the bit i think I’m missing

kevin1911

Heres the pic. The knurled bit seems to be ~2mm sunk below the end cap itself.

Actually, while I was taking the pic I tried to further loosen off the lock nut on the hub so it was ~1/2 turn away from finger tight. I refitted the wheel to the frame, and it seems to spin freely. I know shimano hubs need to be left loose, but I’ve never seen these types of hubs need to be left so loose.

legend
    Free Member

yeah, nothing sits proud of the silver part on the 150mm hub (I take it you mean Tank Evo rather than Switch?)

like this:

The cap sitting on the bearing is fine, there’s a raised edge iirc which will sit against the inner race. This is fine as the inner race shouldn’t move when the wheel is spinning.

kevin1911

Hmm, pretty sure mine didnt have a raised edge. When the locknut was done up tightish, it felt like the end cap was really grinding on the rotating part of the bearing. Its a DH 595 wheelset, which I thought came with the Switch hub, but could be wrong.

The hubs in that picture seem to have the knurled part as the most proud for it to grip ono the frame. On mine it seems to be sunk/ recessed beneath the outer end cap…

Bewildered….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got Superstar Switch Evo 150mm rear hub?’ is closed to new replies.