Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • anyone got some tips to get me out on my roadbike?
  • taka
    Free Member

ive had it for months now an ridden it once down a hill and on the flat for about 2 miles i find it really boring and hard and now my mountainbike is down the bog i wont be riding offroad for a while so im stuck with the roadbike has anyone got any advice or tips on motivating me to get out and ride it?

cheers Tom

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll get fatter and slower if you don’t 😀

taka
    Free Member

im 18stone already any more and ill have to take up virtual cycling 😉

lazybike
    Free Member

If your finding it hard after 2 miles I’d say slow down to a speed thats comfortable, do 10 miles one day, 11 the next etc, but keep the speed to a comfortable level.

doubledunter
    Free Member

I dont use my road bike very often and Im always saying im gonna sell it, then every time I do go out for a blast I love it, I went out on new years morning for a twenty mile run and it was great with hardly any cars on the road,I tend to hit the back/country roads when I can, its ideal when the trails are covered in snow and ice and makes a nice change, also keeps the legs spinning, I tend just to keep a nice easy pace 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Enter a local road event – a Sportive or something – taking place in 3 or 4 months time, preferably one that’s been run in the past. Tell everyone on here that you are doing it. Cycle round the route and then compare your time to the times it was last run. Aim to complete it in the top half.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Find someone to ride with if you can. A group would be best. Blasting along working with a group will give you something to think about. It is hard at first but your legs will get stronger and your mountain biking will benefit when you get back on the MTB. What gears do you have on it? If you don’t have a compact chainset (50 tooth big ring 34 tooth small ring) it might be worth fitting one especially if you live somewhere hilly.

taka
    Free Member

its a 16spd double up front 8 on the back

taka
    Free Member

i think riding with someone would help a lot but all my mates either don’t have roadbikes and are not interested or there getting a roadbike supposedly in the near future (last January)

toby1

Keep them short at first, find some local quiet roads and a riding buddies to drag you out will really help.

Wookster

I’ll bet the gears are harder than your Mtb too. I do the ten min rule to get me out if I dint fancy ie ie get out for ten min if I don’t like it I can go home so far never turned around! Can you ride into work that’s a good hour each way for me taking it easy hrm > 140 so that help you’ll be a lot fitter when you get back on the Mtb,. Saying that I know nothing! But it works for me 😆

taka
    Free Member

i could commute bit it would be about 1 1/2 hours there on the quiet roads and finishing at 5pm would mean riding back in the dark all the way uphill

cynic-al
    Free Member

1.5 hour uphill? I didn’t know we had any in the uk!

Seriously good advice above, set yourself an achievable goal.

thomthumb
    Free Member

mtfu.

Smarty
    Free Member

Taka, you’re not far from me I noticed in your profile. I’m just at the other side of Widdop. If you want someone to ride the road bike with I’ll go with you. I’m fat and slow and not in a good state of fitness right now but I hope to make amends (see my recent posts). I did get going quite well on road bike, back in 2009 I did the 75 mile Roses Round event and finished around middle table. Anywhere near that distance would cripple me right now 😳
    Email in profile if you fancy.

oldgit
    Free Member

Can anyone come and get you if it goes pear shaped?

Get bike ready to go the day before.
    Have clothing ready to put on.
    Fully charge your mobile, put in back pocket.
    Have one tube and pump or Co2 plus levers, stick in pocket.
    Have drink ready to go.
    Don’t over dress.

Choose a clover leaf route so you have plenty of bail outs. Get up when your ready, have brekky and go.

I assume it’s the Fort,and it looks like it runs a standard chainset so keep it in 39t.
    Getting a crosser will probably make things harder for you as I noticed your after a swap. Slower on the road and hard work off.

Where are you?

oldgit
    Free Member

Ah Northernshire.

taka
    Free Member

im in oxenhope/hebden bridge ive got backup where ever i am im thinking of going out tomorrow and see where i can get to i guess one of the problems with riding close to home is there’s always that urge to give up and go home

Haze

Rule 10

Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired

djflexure

join a club – go on sunday rides

alexpalacefan

Get rid of the mountain bike 😉

APF

samuri
    Free Member

Get a gps or mileometer.
    Set yourself targets.

Climbing on a road bike, once you’ve attained a reasonable level of fitness, is an amazing buzz.

rangerbill

Im in Myth and sometimes commute over to Wycoller,you can do a nice circular past Pondon res, Trawden, then Thursden Valley past Widdop Res and into Hebden. Its a bout 30 miles ish.

Claire Balding did it on the telly recently

Plenty of food stops on the way

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

What djflexure said.

Have you spoken to your LBS? I did that with mine and found they run social rides of varying levels. For example, on Saturday they do a 20 mile introduction ride which is a very easy pace. Sunday’s are harder longer rides.

Since I joined I haven’t looked back. Prefer road riding to mountain biking now. Love the social aspect too.

_tom_
    Free Member

I really enjoy road riding, perhaps because my road bike is simple and “just works” – however after riding with a mate on his geared bike I don’t enjoy it so much as I realise how much faster I could be going if I had gears 😆

Don’t enjoy it in towns though, just country lanes round here – it helps that we have no good off road so I have to get on with the road riding!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Find a wee short loop of a couple of miles and go give it hell see how you can improve your time.

Kevevs
    Free Member

find a long quiet bike path loop or dead country roads, put some demented tunes on your mp3 player and GO GO GO!

BadlyWiredDog

I think it just depends how you’re wired. Different people have different triggers. I find it harder not to ride than to ride, to be honest, but you may be different. Some people get off on suffering, some people like the challenge of setting PBs over loops. For me it’s just being on the bike and the escapism and the freedom and being in the moment and trying to appreciate what’s around me.

You’re really lucky living where you do, the road riding there’s just stunning, well, if you like climbing it is and the Dales are easily within striking distance. I don’t know what makes you tick, it sounds a bit like you expect road bikes to be ‘easy’ to ride, which they’re not, or rather they’re different to mountain bikes, you don’t get to rest much and you can get giddy with the sheer speed of them.

But really, you need to give it a chance – two miles is nothing. Go and ride it properly and with an open mind. If you still hate it, ask yourself honestly, why that is. I never much liked my road bike, then someone told me it was a ‘monstrosity’ and I realised that she was, in a sense, quite right. It was the only bike I didn’t like riding. It was harsh and fitted me badly and had no soul, no ‘thing’. I ended up buying a much nicer road bike and it completely changed the way I saw road riding.

Blah…

mattrivett
    Free Member

Christ, 12 comments until some, “think he’s funny adolescent p rick” said something “funny” (thomthumb)

great advice above, i find using mapmyrun.com to log rides really good especially as it’s visible to people. Keeps me very motivated.

I am in the same position, starting a new job soon 13 miles away and plan to ride in every day and log it all. Have you got an HRM?

Matt

Philby

Road biking will certainly make you fitter for when you get your mountain bike back – and at this time of year when many of the trails are gloopy mud, are also significantly easier to clean. Perhaps set yourself a reward if you go out and have a decent ride e.g. go to the pub if you have done a 2 hour ride. If you’ve got loads of hills near where you live you will be able to enjoy the exhilaration of speeding down the descents.

taka
    Free Member

ive got my kit ready for a ride tomorrow around hebden hopefully i might enjoy it abit more with some of these useful tips 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with computers, GPS HRMs etc just yet especialy if you were serious about previous mileage?
    This time of year I leave all my stuff like that behind and go by the clock on the kitchen wall.

taka
    Free Member

i was going to get a cheap trip computer to record my progress with the mileage side of things

oldgit
    Free Member

Why aren’t you out?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Have you considered Audax taka – cheaper than sportives by a long chalk and usually full of interesting characters http://www.aukweb.net/ some terrific rides to aim for!

oldgit
    Free Member

ive got my kit ready for a ride tomorrow around hebden hopefully i might enjoy it abit more with some of these useful tips

Is he back? Did he go??

scruzer
    Free Member

try these: have a riding partner, have some SMARTs to motivate you, ride with alternate turns at junctions ie right turn, left turn, right turn, left turn etc see where you end up? (similarly with a partner take it in turns to choose left and right turn offs or straight ons), reverse your ride, treat yourself to some new kit? Enjoy!!

taka
    Free Member

yeh i went out this morning just a 8 mile ride from oxenhope to hebden bridge i was utterly knackered i found riding on the flat and downhill quite enjoyable but on the uphills even in the lowest gear had me out of the saddle i had to stop every few hundred meters to get my legs back

Sandwich

More to the point is he still out?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘anyone got some tips to get me out on my roadbike?’ is closed to new replies.