Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone got one of these? Any good? (G shock content)
  • Tinners

Anyone got this model (MTG-1000-1AER)? Any good?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I don’t know anything about G-Shocks I’m afraid 🙁 Are the internals different on different models or are they all the same with more/less functions/casings?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Harry the Spider has this model. He said it’s good but it’s a **** to set.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Who cares what it’s like to set, easy to get the time from your mobile and that watch looks fantastic!

Got a real thing for G Shocks at the moment, not sure why but threads like this don’t help me and my buying urges!!

thehustler
    Free Member

Cant answer for that one, but have had one of these for a few years and it has been superb

BAH image wont link!!

Kuco

Do G-shock just do a plain faced ordinary watch without all the other dials or buttons?

Tinners

but it’s a **** to set.

Thanks for that, Derek. I had a quick look at the PDF instruction manual and wondered about that myself. It doesn’t look intuitive or easy. I presume once set, it’s set and forget, though. I quite like the look of it and like the atomic clock update and solar power. Just wondering what a Welsh winter (or even, summer) will do to the solar power……

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can’t answer for that exact model, but G-Shock watches are superb.

I keep wanting to buy a new one, but my ten year old one just keeps on going! (What on earth is powering it? Magic?)

vondally
    Free Member

had g shocks since the 1st bunch came out on my 3 rd now, which survived several smashes including a fall off the bike onto road around 35 mph, SO glued it back and it still looks and works fine.
    Usually need new straps before anything else.
    Brilliant

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I don’t know about the MTG-1000-1AER, but I have the 100-1AER and it’s superb.

ross980
    Free Member

Just wondering what a Welsh winter (or even, summer) will do to the solar power……

Bit OT but I’ve got a digital solar G-shock and 2 years on the charge indicator has never been off ‘high’. The atomic clock self setting works really well too. Not too bulky either (GW-5600) Can’t fault it.

Tinners

Thanks, Ross980. What made me wonder about the effectiveness of solar power on the MTG-1000-1AER was the energy needed to power the mechanical hands and atomic update (I’m thinking it may use more energy than a digital model, but I could be completely wrong). Love the idea of using solar power, as long as it’s good enough for our climate.

Tinners

Usually need new straps before anything else.

How easy/difficult is it to get these replaced with originals?

ross980
    Free Member

I don’t think the atomic update is very power hungry, mine only updates once every 24 hours (about 2am)
    I see what you mean about the mechanical display needing more energy than digital though. Does it have a power saving mode? Mine turns off the display at night when it hasn’t detected any movement (or if you store it in a drawer etc.) – I’d be surprised if that one didn’t do something similar.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Tinners – HtS complains about having to set his watch for the summer and winter time changes!

Harry_the_Spider

I have a similar one without automatic updates. It is a **** to set.

However, once set it keeps good time and adjusting the hour twice a year can be done quite easily once you can remember which drawer the instruction booklet is in (sideboard, right drawer, behind chop stick, selotape and spare birthday card that was too rude to send).

I have no idea how the alarm, dual time or BST functions work though.

Jason
    Free Member

I have a G-Shock GW-1400DU with solar charging and auto time updates. Like Ross mine has stayed on high for the two years I have had it. Out of the box it was on medium and then went to high on the first sunny day. I guess eventually the internal rechargeable battery will need changing, but they seem to last for 5+ years. It does go into sleep mode if it is kept in the dark(or not moved?), I can’t remember how it works but the hands both point upwards, and then realigns itself when moved – this caught me out on a 12 hour solo race in the dark, at about 2am I though it had broken as it was no longer displaying the time!

The automatic update is very good, and you forget it does it. Mine has a daylight saving setting, so when the clock shifts it does that too. The only downside is if I go out of the regions covered by the time signal I have to dig out the manual to adjust the time as I never need to adjust it normally.

I don’t think I would bother buying a ‘normal’ watch again.

shortcut

Awg 101 here. Completely faultless and loving the solar and multiband auto adjust. As with Jason I only have to worry about it when I travel to set the new timezone.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Got one of these
    and it’s the mutt’s nutts. taken some serious abuse and still works. Can’t speak for a welsh winter, but Scottish ones can make it struggle. leave it on a south facing window ledge for a day every week or so and switch off the very cool movement sensing led

Apprently it’s a GW1210A-1AV, but Casio Atomic Tough Solar watch sounds better

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got one of these? Any good? (G shock content)’ is closed to new replies.