Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • anyone got HTC Desire on Orange?
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

Whats the orange branding like on the handset? Some sites say theres loads of orange stuff you cant delete. Can you have a normal HTC homescreen and icons?

Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

don’t think mine is too bad for branding at all but I’ve not seen the unbranded ones.

Shirley it’s about apps and you can download what you like?

lakesrider
    Free Member

well the sites i looked on said that there was quite a bit of orange stuff that couldnt be deleted, and that these use up quite a bit of the internal memory. Also they said quite a lot of orange stuff is constantly running in the background and slows the phone down (+ battery life reduction) compared to a normal one.

Most of the people posting on the phone forums though are pretty techy geeky types (not being nasty there, just trying to describe them!) so i’m not sure if the branding is an issue to normal users or not.

I’m just curious as i’ve had a heavily branded orange HTC phone in the past where they basically turned a nice manufacturers home screen into an ugly mess. It was possible to revert to the manufacturers screen though, and i’m wondering if you can do this on the Desire.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlecrack
    Free Member

Mines great not the usual shitty Orange home screen but Htc home screen

billybob
    Free Member

if you get one from carphone warehouse it should be unbranded – if you get one from orange it can be rooted to get rid of all the apps & take it back to factory conditions…

damo2576
    Free Member

I don’t know what branding is like but why not wipe it and reinstall rom of your choosing?

bassspine
    Free Member

I have one. There’s an orange ‘homescreen’ – never used it, I just switched to the htc sense one immediately.

Some games demos, some pointless orange bookmarks on the favourites page, orange branded maps, messenger and web browser and a few others. They don’t actualy insist on running AFAICT, but you can’t just delete them.

I’ve had a look at goldcarding and rom burning and it just looks like too much trouble.

And I don’t think they take up a significant, device ruining amount of memory, they just sit on the SDcard waiting to be used. My Desire is running fine and I haven’t had any problems with the orange stuff I just installed better software as I found it on appbrain.

retro83
    Free Member

install space on the desire is reasonably limited, and IIRC 40% is gone to orange’s preinstalled crap which you can’t delete.

There are some shitty game demos, Orange Maps, Orange App Market etc, oh and Google Talk is gone.

Wish they’d stop dicking about with the firmware. 👿

Maybe you can delete them if you root and use something like Titanium Backup

mikewsmith
    Free Member

install space on the desire is reasonably limited, and IIRC 40% is gone to orange’s preinstalled crap which you can’t delete.

you can now install to the card (I think) on 2.2

Best off getting unbranded and unlocked phones from Carphone wharehouse, much easier

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘anyone got HTC Desire on Orange?’ is closed to new replies.