Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone got experience of/know about the 2009 Specialized Enduro?
  • jhw
    Free Member

…the Comp SL in particular (the green and white one!).

I've heard in particular that the shock is a bit ropey.

Does anyone have experience of this bike? How's it held out? How does it compare to the 2010 version?

Thanks…!

jhw
    Free Member

or the Fox Float 32 RL fork/AFR shock which comes with it?

Is Specialized's warranty on the shock only 1 year?

nols
    Free Member

Had on for an extended test for just over a week. Rode lovely, shame I couldn't justify it as I'd only had my pitch for 6 months. Great bike, I believe the yellow colourway was a dealer test bike only. So if you're buying one secondhand it might have seen some use/abuse.

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks, that's good to know – it's a test/hire bike in the Alps that's been used for a season and a half.

I know the suspension design is much less sophisticated than the new Enduros. I worry that it looks just like/is basically the same as a new Pitch – and is only slightly cheaper. Would I be better off just buying a Pitch?

Main thing is I hate the shock – I would much prefer Rock Shox on the front, and Fox on the back, than Fox on the front, and Specialized OEM on the back.

The price is £1,200 plus £50 to deal with the logistics of getting it to me. In two minds as to whether that's reasonable or not.

jhw
    Free Member

Sorry, correction – the price is in fact £1,000

nols
    Free Member

seems pretty expensive to me dude. Especially as its a test bike in the Alps. Probably had the piss beaten out of it TBH.

For 600 more you could have a brand new bike that you know hasn't be abused. At the end of the day as the old saying goes, you should buy the bike you want, not the bike you need. I've had my pitch for 3 years, I've upgraded a lot on it. Its never missed a beat…

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks…in principle though…and ignoring any wear&tear/price issues which are unique to this deal…is this a good bike? I've definitely seen something in the past on this forum about "the 2010 Specialized Enduros are excellent, but avoid the 2009 ones", but I can't find it.

Bregante

I have an 08 Enduro SL. Same frame and AFR shock as the 09 but I much prefer the E150 fork on mine over the 150mm fox on the 09. If the shock is what's worrying you you could always get what I'm getting

http://www.tftunedshox.com/retail/cart/default.aspx

Bregante

forgot to say. I love mine. comp spec isn't bad but I do agree with the previous poster. £1000 sounds a bit strong tbh

jhw
    Free Member

Good tip with TF Tuned – I've retained them in the past and they're excellent – even for some beat up old obscure White Brothers forks!

Thanks for your help…what's your assessment of the forks? I've read that they're flexy, and need regular servicing/seal replacement. Are they…alright…though? I'm currently riding 2002 Marzocchi XCRs, which I'm really happy with despite them being some of the most basic Marzocchi forks ever, so I'm sure Fox forks will be an improvement…

Does your assessment of the price change if it's taken into account that I don't think the bike's been ridden that hard in it's time as a demo bike, and there are other advantages stemming from the fact that I'm buying it from a legit bike shop rather than some guy on Ebay (I know it'll be properly serviced for example…).

stevede
    Free Member

If it hasn't had a hard life then it's not a bad deal, my mate rides an ex demo enduro in yellow/green too and its a pretty sorted bike to be fair, no issues with the forks – would rather fox than spesh's own and the basic spesh air can is holding up fine after a years use but with the extra saving over a pitch you could upgrade the shock if it dies eventually. One thing to check is if it still comes with warranty, if so then its a good deal as specialized are very very good on warranty.

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks. It is interesting isn't it how bike manufacturers have problems when they outsource/change factories – I saw in a thread recently about 2007 Commencals where the exact same issue arose. It makes me wonder how quality control actually works at bike companies – I thought all the issues like tolerances, etc., were dealt with at the design stage, by Specialized in Morgan Hill, and the factory merely implemented? I don't know how it works. Has there been a lot of litigation (or threatened litigation) between factory owners and bike companies in this context? Oor are the factories themselves actually owned by the companies? Most confusing – I've no idea how the industry is structured but would love to know.

More to the point, it wasn't the 2009 Specialized shocks that had REAL problems was it…I think it was 2007?

If I'm right, are Commencal's factory problems in 2007 related to those experienced by Specialized in the same year? Was it to do with the fact that this is when the recession really began to bite

Bregante

Thanks for your help…what's your assessment of the forks? I've read that they're flexy, and need regular servicing/seal replacement. Are they…alright…though?

I take it that you're asking about the 150mm Fox 32's here? Yes I did find them too flexy when tried an 09 that my mate had and there was no comparison in the forks with my E150's – mine just seemed to track so much better. I'm sure they'd be a massive improvement on 02 zocchis tho 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got experience of/know about the 2009 Specialized Enduro?’ is closed to new replies.