Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • anyone got experience of Thought Field Therapy?
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’m deeply scared of flying, so much so I can’t even book myself onto a fear of flying course with Virgin as I know we’ll end up in a plane!

I have no idea why i’m scared of flying, it’s more of a control issue than actual fear.

I’ve been recommended TFT and I also have a good friend who has a fleet of 8 seater Cessna’s who’s offered to take me up and effectively teach me to fly.

I’m thinking some TFT may help me make that first step?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

it’s more of a control issue than actual fear.

My father was a professional pilot all his life. Hated flying unless he was in control. It IS a control issue, and no amount of quackery will solve it. Only you can solve it.

Flying is safe. Flying is amazing. Flying is beautiful. Every time I take off I am amazed at what’s happening. I look at the clouds, the wings, the ground below and I am astonished at it all.

8 seaters are an odd thing between the two. Not small enough to get the real thrill of all that air around you, not big enough to get that “WOW! I’m on a big plane!” thing.

Flying is a wonder. Embrace it, when you’re ready to do so. Quackery won’t help.

maccruiskeen

I’m deeply scared of flying, so much so I can’t even book myself onto a fear of flying course with Virgin as I know we’ll end up in a plane!

Have you ever actually flown? (and not liked it and therefore scared of doing it again) Or is the fear stopping you from flying for the first time?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A friend suggested Valium…

CountZero

My mum was petrified at the thought of flying, but she still flew to America/Canada and back, and ended up enjoying every second. She was in her eighties when she flew.
    Then two months later some lunatics flew a couple of planes into the great big buildings she’d stood on top of, which did make her glad she’d flown when she did, because that would have really put her off.

epicyclo

Flying is 100% safe.

It’s the landings you want to worry about…

Kryton57

Op, I’m shit scared of flying myself, although weirdly I’m facinated by planes . I attribute mine to anxiety created by god awful turbulence whillst working in the late 90’s working every other week in Shetland and the Western Isles. And I mean blown off course bad.

no amount of quackery will solve it. Only you can solve it.

I’ve had multiple rounds of hypno, TFT, cbt, fear of flying. It comes down to control and anxiety. I don’t have any fear of mechanical noises, but I have a fear of falling – I don’t do big bridges either – so I “anticipate” turbulence even on a smooth flight and sit in a constant state of panic. My now only – prescribed – fix is pre flight diazepam, and for long haul a doze of Tamazipan washed down with a G&T on take off which does the best part of knocking me out for 8 hours. I also mediate – mindfulness – which has helped calm my anxiety, and also I focus heavily I on where/why I’m going, eg I won’t fly for work but I can do it if there is a sandy beach, hot weather and drinks at the end. I’m not suggesting this is for you, but just walking you through my experience which is still 8hrs of panic for me, it’s not confortable.

However, since 1995, I’ve managed : Malaysia X 2, Barbados X 7, st Lucia X 2, Balearics X 2, Scottish isles X 20+,

I’ve also been unlucky with quite a few weather related incididents, which most people tell me they don’t experience in their lifetimes.

I’m still alive, and I’ve loved all the wonderful places I’ve visited. As CFH says, flying is safe albeit somethimes uncomfortable for people like us, but focus on the destination – for example last night we booked a holiday in Menorca, for which I’m dreading the flight because it’s too short for Tamazipam but I know it’s a week of sun sea, pool and free, well ok pre-paid beer – and the good memory’s, try to relax. It’s a means to an end.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Driving to the airport is much more dangerous…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘anyone got experience of Thought Field Therapy?’ is closed to new replies.