• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone got electric underfloor heating?
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Evening
    We’re having a new floor(laminate) laid in our living room and I got thinking about underfloor heating.
    Anyone got it? Any good? Easy enough to DIY? Worth doing, or waste of time?

Ta

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Installed in a few customers houses quite straight foward and takes up less depth than traditional underfloor.. Plus the amount of lads that install it incorrect (plumbed) underfloor is laughable. Electric a even and constant heat very good imo.

Markie
    Free Member

Fwiw, we have it in our upstairs bathrooms and are glad we bothered.

boxelder

Upstairs bathroom. Worked for a year then broke. Can’t be arsed lifting the tiles to fix it.

Rickos
    Free Member

Got it under tiles in our kitchen and it’s very nice, but bloomin’ expensive to run as often as the wife used to like. I say used to as our bill went up significantly after last winter, so it’s been off since.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Hmmm,seems like a mixed bag then. More research needed I think.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Look at it like a giant kettle that uses twice the amount of electric whacked up full blast and think if would want to run it like that.
    On a good thermostat its very good as you don’t need it as hi as you think due to the surface area.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

We have it in our bathroom, very nice. Thermostatically controlled not bad on the bills either. The display unit thing shows how much it costs too if you input the price per unit.
    Very glad we got it.

Rickos
    Free Member

Just looked at my last couple of years data and the difference between December 2014 – February 2015 compared to the year before was around £50 per month more just because of the electric underfloor heating (installed September 2014). It’s been off since April when they whacked up our monthly bill.

Just don’t let your wife manage the thermostat and you might be ok, but it’s not insignificant. For me anyway.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

wow……. surprised about the bills as its quite economical compared to traditional plumbed underfloor ie boiler working harder and gas more expensive than leccy in my experience. and to the chap with the broken underfloor…. you not happy its just stopped working and not leaked down below and the pain and cost of re dec and repair… more than likely a duff connection not hard to remove tiles and investigate.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thats a prettyy shitty tarrif you have if you are paying more for gas than leccy,

Leccy is the most expensive form of heating short of burning 5ers per unit.

And plumbed underfloor isnt hard to install – ive managed it , installer ignorance isnt a reason to fit simple shit.

I will be fitting electic pad under tiles in my bathroom though.- wired into a countdown timer. Simple because suspended concrete floor cant have a plumbed system.

BlobOnAStick

Yep. We’ve got it in an extension (rest of the house is warm air, so difficult to extend the system.)

We had is installed in the floor screed and it gives a lovely, full-room heat with little additional effect on the leccy bill – maybe £50 over the year.

BUT after 3 winters something happened and it developed a short in one of the two heating cables. I now have half the room heated and the other half cold needing a drill-down into the screed to find the short 🙁

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Yes, it’s in our bathroom. The temperature sensor in it has broken, so we have to switch it to just run on a % duty cycle instead of being temp. controlled.

andyl
    Free Member

remember electric heating is 100% efficient (energy to heat) but the price per unit is several times that of gas.

Until electricity in this country comes down to that of gas (should be lower and get lower the more green electricity we produce) then I would avoid it unless you have a very efficient house and some solar to power it.

Xylene
    Free Member

Very popular in Korea, new apartments have it built into concrete floors, turn it on, wait for a few hours and turn it off, floors stay hot for ages, or turn it on, pass out pissed on the bed, wake up 8 hours later, feeling very dry, and find a floor almost too hot to stand on.

petefromearth

Holy thread resurrection!

I’m looking at this for our bathroom. Fairly small floor area, and we don’t have much wall space for a radiator, so this might be a good option.

Can anyone recommend a good brand to look at? What’s the Chris King of electric underfloor heating? 🙂

Long term reliability is a must

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Devi is the brand I spec and fit out of choice. You can get cheaper but I’ve not had a failure (that I know of) in 10 years of installing them.

Bear
    Free Member

Wet systems have come a long way in terms of the thickness needed to install them, with most manufacturers offering an overlay system.

Gas is about a third of daytime electricity in terms of pence per kw. Also due to the nature of using a mixed flow temperature then it doesn’t make boilers work harder etc.

Also interested as to why it couldn’t be used on a suspended concrete floor? I assume you are talking a block and beam floor or cast concrete, in which case it can be used no problems.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Also interested as to why it couldn’t be used on a suspended concrete floor? I assume you are talking a block and beam floor or cast concrete, in which case it can be used no problems.

because ill be banging my head off door frames if i lose any height at all – and because its suspended i cant dig it out and fit it right.

Bear
    Free Member

Ah into an existing suspended concrete floor, makes sense, although there are systems as low as 15mm now I think. Although you still need a floor finish over that of course.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got electric underfloor heating?’ is closed to new replies.