Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone got BOS Dizzy forks (wheel play) – a little assistance please
  • preciousmetals
    Free Member

So I have a set and realised the 15mm qr axle/lever is an akward bugger.
    Whilst out yesterday I noticed that I was getting front sideway wobble especially under power.

As far as I’m aware I always remove/install bike kit correctly as we do when we spend hard money and are naturally anal about doing things the right way.

So when I get back from ride, I notice what seems to be a 4mm side to side play in wheel, more than likely less mm in side to side play but just a guestimate.

So my immediate thoughts are Hope bearings but can’t be as it’s only covered 50 odd miles so far. Removed front wheel to find no obvious bearing play.
    Phoned lbs who built them so going in soon to eliminate the hub bearings.

I did noticed 2x allen bolts which constantly wiggle free a tad at lever end of 15mm axle.

Is it safe to apply some loctite to those 2x pesky allen bolts.
    If you’re familiar with the Dizzy forks, you’ll no doubt be aware that there’s a part between lever and leg which gives adjustment of lever angle. That bot peeves me reet off as it sliws the process of installation and removal.

Any feedback on what’s going on as it’s not so apparently obvious to my untrained unengineerial brain.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Anyone own these forks care to shed some light on how to sort this?

otsdr
    Free Member

I’ve got one, but I haven’t had any issues with the axle, only adjusted the lever position once using the star-shaped nut that is held in by an allen screw on the disc-side (right side of the image below). Not sure about what you mean about the part between the lever and leg (surely it is “axle and leg”?).

I have never adjusted or undone the allen bolt on the axle itself, the one that seems to hold in the lever (left side of the image).

In my opinion, using Loctite on any of these two bolts shouldn’t cause any issues.

l.e: At some point I fancied this bit https://r2-bike.com/SHIFT-UP-Thru-Axle-QR15-for-BOS-Dizzy , but I don’t see how the sharp edge of the taper inside the leg won’t mangle that nylon washer.

l.l.e: Just to confirm, you are following the correct procedure when tightening it – with the QR lever undone (it sits diagonally to the wheel), tighten the axle, then lift the QR lever. The lever should go up forcefully, like a normal QR. If the lever ends up in the wrong position, adjust the nut on the other side.
    http://boutique.bosmtb.com/fileuploader/download/download/?d=0&file=custom%2Fupload%2FFile-1430215374.pdf

preciousmetals
    Free Member

I meant the bronze coloured spacer between lever that can rotate around axle on the left pic.

Thanks very much for the info, I shall take a look when I next trundle off to the bike room.
    🙂

preciousmetals
    Free Member

I found it was the bolt in centre of lever that had worked loose from the retaining thread type nut inside the axle.

Seems fine now.

jamj1974

Excellent! Glad you found that out – must have driven you mad!

I might pick up a pair of these so it might prove helpful!

preciousmetals
    Free Member

It’s just a funny design of axle/lever interface, once you get (now I have) your head around it then all’s good.

They’re a decent set of forks alright not quite as plush and stiff as my Devilles which J’adore.
    They suit me/bike they’re fitted to.

I do have tad bit of bushing play but purchased them as 2nd hand so I suppose as to be expected.

I would say if you like well engineered pieces of kit that feel great when riding and are light. I thought they might be a flexy at my v v portly weight but never really notice as they just do their job sooooo sweetly.

Devilles on the other hand are on another level but fir a totally different ride style as you’ll know.

Hope this helps you in your decision making.

🙂

jamj1974

Cheers. On my second set of Devilles and love them. The new FCV ones are really good. Hoping these could be similarly good (For different use!) on another bike.

otsdr
    Free Member

They have some play when they’re new as well (mine do), according to the manual it is normal:

The unique alignment of the bushings of the BOS forks creates a slight frontal play. If the play is abnormally high, please contact
    a BOS approved service center for expertise.

Can’t fault them beyond that; as with any expensive fork, make sure to keep on top with the lower leg maintenance, it’s very easy to do by yourself.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Would you happen to know who can service Dizzys in the UK or is Jungle only forst port of call?

jamj1974

I have used J-Tech in the past with excellent results.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Ok thanks, worth noting for future.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got BOS Dizzy forks (wheel play) – a little assistance please’ is closed to new replies.