Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone got better broadband speeds by switching provider?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Well, have you?

watsontony
    Free Member

yea changed to virgin went from 16 to 60 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

That doesn’t count. I’m talking about ADSL…!

dawson

unless its a provider thats switched to LLU, its all on BT infrastructure anyway isn’t it?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Doesn’t it all run through the same wires/exchanges whoever you are with? Would therefore expect no real difference?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

never had any speed change as it’s all through the same infrastructure. Never hit the “Up To” speeds.

molgrips
    Free Member

According to my attempts at research, Orange (current) are reselling BT who use ADSL Max, but Be Broadband have ADSL 2 (If I got that right)

Be Broadband thought I could get 4Mbps but should I have confidence in their estimate?

Doesn’t it all run through the same wires/exchanges whoever you are with?

Not everyone uses the same gear at the exchange.. I think.

Flaperon

Yep, went from BT to Be. Speed jumped from 3.5 to 6 Mbps, and another tweak on their end got it up to 7. Rock solid and no throttling at peak times,

molgrips
    Free Member

Good.. so it is possible..

Thing is, I pay £5 for Orange and would pay what, £20 for Be – which is worth it IF it works.

Be’s site:

You’ll get a download speed of around 3.0 meg on your line. Existing BE members with lines like yours get between 1.0 meg and 4.5 meg.

BT’s site:

Between 1.0Mb and 4.0Mb
    (Estimated speed: 2.5Mb)

stumpyjon

I found out at the weekend our broadband is about double the speed of a neighbours. Don’t get too excited though we still only get around 2Mbps. We’re with TalkTalk, he’s with Sky. TalkTalk is local loop unbundled at the exchange, Sky isn’t.

Markie
    Free Member

No difference here by provider, but jumped from 3 to 5.5 by getting a new router and playing with the SNR settings…

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Tripled my speed by switching from talktalk to sky, talktalk are well known for throttling the speed.
    They also withheld my mac code when i tried to switch. Tossers.

brooess
    Free Member

From Virgin who seemed to be throttling it somehow to O2, with whom it was fine. Same wires, different attitude to customer service!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yes, 1mg with Tesco for a few years at £18pm for broadband only, plus BT line rental and calls at BT standard rates. Bloke next door was getting 6mg with Orange (for some reason his broadband was not secured so I could use it and compare speed tests), which caused me to realise I was being had, and act. I’m now with Orange and getting up to 15mg occasionally, sometimes a bit less, but paying £19pm all in for bb, phone and line rental. I’m now saving lots of money per year (i think I worked it out at £200+pa saving) and getting much faster bb with Orange*.
    * other suppliers will do similar ‘all in’ deals I expect and have the appropriate kit installed at your local exchange to give faster speeds.

trail_rat
    Free Member

biggest change i found – especially with orange was to bin the crappy 5 quid netgear router they come with and i fitted a linksys but i guess any decent router would work.

we had been getting 5 meg – then orange made us change to the new router set up – it suddenly dropped to annoyingly slow.

fiddled with the settings , made no difference . binned it

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Just swooped from Orange because of price hike, to BT, no problems and it seems very quick now. (technical terms from a numpty) 🙂

bigG
    Free Member

Yes went from an inconsistent 2mb to a regular 8mb occasionally topping out at 9.5mb when I changed from BT to O2.

Don’t know why but I’m happy with it

cheers_drive

About to move to a non cable area so interested in this thread.

Cougar

If you’re looking at Be, it’s worth remembering that O2 is the same thing (they rebadge Be’s service). If you’ve got an O2 phone, they’ll knock a chunk of money off the price; net result, you get Be Internet for less than Be charge.

MrNutt
    Free Member

DOn’t use Sky if they don’t have an LLU exchange, BT are the best bet if there’s no better kit at the exchange.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got better broadband speeds by switching provider?’ is closed to new replies.