Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone got any thoughts on Renault Scenic 1.4..?
  • yunki
    Free Member

Been offered a decent Mk1 example that comes in below my budget..

Any first hand experience?

beefheart
    Free Member

No experience of them, but I’d have thought a vehicle that size would be horribly underpowered with a 1.4 petrol engine- meaning the engine would have to work pretty hard and would return poor mpg too.

If you could find a diesel, I’d say go for it.

scotroutes

I had a Mk1 Scenic but that was with the 1.9TD engine. It was pretty good actually. I reckon the 1.4 petrol will struggle though, especially if the car is loaded up (as they are designed to be)

mboy
    Free Member

You want the 1.9DCi engine for sure. It’s got 105bhp, loads of torque, is pretty reliable and cheap to run (as long as you don’t mind changing the EGR valve yourself), does 45+mpg at all times, and 55mpg on a run, and it makes a passable family car (and actually a very good bike carrying car with the seats removed).

The 1.4 is woefully underpowered for such a heavy car, with no redeeming features as such. The 1.6 still isn’t as good as the 1.9DCi. The older 1.9DTi’s are only 80bhp and though frugal, again struggle with a lack of grunt.

What is your budget dare I ask? I wouldn’t really consider a 1.4 unless it literally was only £250, looking on ebay now there’s a few half decent looking 1.9DCi’s for just under the £1k mark, and there’s a couple of very low milage immaculate cars for under £1500 from dealers.

Had a X Plate 1.9DCi Scenic Monaco (highest spec) that I bought as a very tatty stop gap car off a mate about 4 years ago. Ended up running it for about 3 months, and aside from it looking like a shed, it was ace! Sold it to get something smaller and lighter with the same engine in (Megane 5dr 1.9DCi on a Y Plate) and half the milage on it, which I then ran for 2 years and it was the most reliable car I’ve ever owned!

duckman

Renault electrics are hit and miss as well.

stumpyjon

Had nightmares with a 1.9 diesel, cost a fortune is mechanical defects. Personally wouldn’t touch Renault from that era. Don’t know if they’ve got any better recently.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Wifey had a 1.6 petrol version.

Only sniff of trouble was a coil pack (£40) in 40,000 miles.

Most of the French electrical scare stories are just that; stories. No car of that era is perfect.

Other than that they are roomy, comfy and cheap. So much so we’ve had a mk2 and now run a mk3 (Grand) Scenic

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

renault scenics mk2 had dash failures that required changing ( lots of low mileage models ??) and also the perennial windows regulator problems.

wwaswas

I’ve got a Mk2 1.9dci, not sure I’d want to drive it with a 1.4 engine, it’s quite a big car with a lot of frontal area.

Had the usual issues with dash and windows – I’ve only paid nominal sums to get them fixed.

hora
    Free Member

Define way below budget?

I thought the MK1 was quite a simple vehicle? I’d definitely have the latest Renault Scenics- think its a nice shape etc.

If you are on a tight budget and want practical- the Xsara Picasso.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“1.9 diesel, cost a fortune is mechanical defects.”

you had serious mechanical issues with what is essentially a tractor engine?- indirect injection 8 valve SOHC. you were unlucky sir , heaven forbid you have issues with a modern car.

what were the issues if you dont mind me asking – let me guess 1 , EGR and inlet manifold jammed and renault charged you 400 plus fitting for a new one ?

“Most of the French electrical scare stories are just that; stories. No car of that era is perfect.”

this – especially if they are older , bathtub failure – if it makes it to the age your looking at and all is working chances are it will work till the rest ofthe car fails….

“The 1.4 is woefully underpowered for such a heavy car”

also this…… the 1.9 is border line – but the 1.4 doesnt even have the low down torque on its side.

if i was looking , id have one. Not very popular cars today so cheap like the budgie but id want a 1.6 petrol minimum or the 1.9 diesel.

mogrim

renault scenics mk2 had dash failures that required changing

Been there, done that. Expensive and irritating failure for a piece with no moving parts 😡

Still, the diesel engine was great, loads of power even when fully loaded. No personal experience of the Mk1 with a petrol engine, but had a similarly powered petrol engine Focus from that period and while it was fine for day-to-day use, it was awful when fully loaded – struggling to keep the speed up on even moderate hills, forget about overtaking anything faster than a tractor, etc.

wwaswas

Expensive and irritating failure for a piece with no moving parts

Mine went on my car when it was 5 years old and had 80,000 miles on the clock. It cost me £100 at the local Renaoult dealer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got any thoughts on Renault Scenic 1.4..?’ is closed to new replies.