Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone got any positive houseshare/flatshare stories?
  • bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I’m searching for a new pad at the moment having moved out of a nice 1 bed flat that was tied to one of my jobs a few months ago.

I’ve been around about 15 places since then, but none of them have been quite right. I used to get quite bored/lonely at times when I was living on my own, so I’m hoping to find somewhere friendly. But, loads of people just seem to want to shut themselves away in their rooms these days.

Can anyone offer me stories of incredible houseshares as I’m getting pretty disillusioned with the whole thing at the moment.

To cap it all off, Easyroommate.co.uk (who are rubbish) have deactivated my membership just one week into my 30 day subscription, a quick Google search has revealed that this is pretty common for them!

user-removed
    Free Member

Hmmm. Not really, sorry. My only experience of sharing a house with complete strangers was when I started uni as a very mature student down here in the North East. All my housemates were female students, so probably a very different scenario to the one you have in mind.

One of them was a total dick – the kind who writes their name on every sheet of bog roll and chains up their sausages with a Squire padlock. I had, ahem, better relations with all the rest of them though 🙂 *

Actually, I suppose that it was quite amazing.

Find a flat with a very, very good local pub and let your flatmates sit in and be boring if they so choose.

*Sadly, not at the same time 🙁

I can!

I moved to London which is shite! But after crashing at a mates for two months moved into a place ten mins from work and though londinium isnt ideal (ie its gash!) the people i live with more than make up for it! i have some great mates and our bonfire party was the stuff of legend! (so long as your not one of our our neighbours! especially the one whos chimney we nailed with a rocket!) so keep persevering nice troops are out there! plus i believe that the nicer you are the nicer you make people!

yossarian
    Free Member

Have you seen ‘shallow grave’?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had some pretty good ones in Edinburgh. It requires work though, esp as you get older.

TBH I’d hate to be looking now, having lived alone for 10 years, and I have a lodger now who locks himself away.

I found Aussies etc who were travelling rhe best fun to share with.

Good luck.

doom_mountain

Agree with Al, I lived with an aussie for about a year in manchester.
    Was a right laugh..and into bikes, although he kept referring to his Rocky Mountain as a ‘Dually’….
    The rest of the housemates changed fairly regularly, not alot in common but enough to share a bbq.
    Keep looking, there’s alot out there

ourmaninthenorth

My shares were only as a student.

Worst was first year at law schol, where ui was in with two other randoms: (1) gay asian guy who used to start up his parties at 2am (2) steroid abusing bodybuilder who was seeing a scouser with three kids and a heroin habit.

I kept my door locked almost permanently..!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

bravohotel9er

Where are you looking?

I know of a really friendly one that someone off here vacated in Farnham area recently, bike friendly and everything, thats got a room to rent if you or anyone is in need…

🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have a lodger now who locks himself away.

Who wouldn’t sharing with you 😉

toab
    Free Member

I house share and it’s lovely. We have meals together fairly often, we all know each others friends / regular visitors. No one minds if you have to borrow a bit of milk and because we all like each other we all seem to be fairly considerate about noise and such

is nice

crazy-legs

I let a work collegue of mine share my house while he was in between tenancies, it was only for a couple of weeks. I hardly saw him in that time. I’d be out the house and off to work before he’d even got up, I was home at least an hour before him then off out on the bike or for a run. He’d come in, shut himself in his room and play computer games (he was a mad keen gamer), so I’d occasionally hear the the noises as he called in an airstrike or a shout of “OH YOU (swear filter)” as he got shot dead.

Apart from that, I wouldn’t have known he was there, hardly ever saw him.

horatio
    Free Member

I’ve got all my flatmates via easyroommate so I wouldn’t say they’re rubbish. Being a landlord makes me the boss though so if its not working I have a clear out and we start from scratch!

Good flat shares take effort, if you’re not reasonabley social and cook for others or say “lets goto the pub” occasionally then no one else will.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got any positive houseshare/flatshare stories?’ is closed to new replies.