Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone got any experience with the fancy Kitchen Boiling Hot taps you can get.
  • Algore
    Free Member

I’ve read and heard a few things about these hot taps, which can either be part of your kitchen tap or just at the side of the sink, giving instant boiling hot water. Sounds ideal as we’re always boiling the kettle for just one or two cups of tea and getting rid of the kettle would free up more worktop space.

Has anybody got exepierence with them. Are they good, do they last, what about efficiency etc?
    If so what brands are best value/performance/durability etc.

zokes
    Free Member

We have a few of the ‘Bili’ units at work, most of which seem to be permanently broken. When they work though, they’re great!

dogbert
    Free Member

We have one at our swish office at work. While it punts out not quite boiling water it seems to leave a scum on the top of a cup of coffee…..they ended up buying a 15 quid kettle to “complement” it

mrblobby
    Free Member

Likewise have them at some of my client’s offices. When they work they work well but they do seem to break on a regular basis. Though water here is very hard indeed. Some people reckon the water from them tastes a bit funny too and prefer to use a kettle.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me…

rondo101
    Free Member

We’ve got Zip taps installed at work. They’re a very good idea for an office of 600 people, where having instant hot water is necessary to ensure your staff aren’t spending 1/2 their day queuing for the kettle.

But at £1500 per tap, it’s a bit of an extravagance for the home, non? You’ll also lose the cupboard below where it’s installed to the filtration & boiling system.

mcboo
    Free Member

Another work one…..great for the office but there always seemed to be an engineer crawling around under it. I wouldnt for the home.

woffle
    Free Member

parents have got one of the Quooker ones – been running for two years + without an issue. Don;t think it’s especially bulky – all the gubbins sit under their single sink with enough room for the usual rubbish bin + cleaning products drawer.

I know they rate it v.highly; it wasn’t cheap but more economical than kettle / boiling water on induction hob. I think it’s great – tea on demand and useful when cooking. When we come to put a new kitchen in next year we’ll probably be having one too…

Algore
    Free Member

hmmm. Most of the above doesn’t sound that great.

But I like Woffle’s comments. It was the Quooker ones I had seen, anyone with more experience of them. Or should I just splash out and get a fast kettle

mst
    Free Member

I’ve got a quooker. Had it for a year. Brilliant piece of kit. You never have to remember to fill it up and turn it on.

Probably the best thing we have in the kitchen

molgrips
    Free Member

You never have to remember to fill it up and turn it on

Lol.. absolutely the easiest job in the kitchen by miles. I’m all for technology but £1500 to avoid the massively onerous chore of filling a kettle? Lol, is all I have to say about that.

Oh and kettles are almost 98% efficient according to my dad, so I can’t imagine there’s much of a gain.

Bear
    Free Member

not sure about being more efficient than a kettle as they are on 24 hours a day keeping the tank near boiling.

Have installed a few Quookas and another make which was considerably cheaper.

Shandy
    Free Member

Are they really £1500? They are very handy.

Deaky
    Free Member

another +1 for the quooker. Mines been in and fitted for 5 years. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another if we moved.

mst
    Free Member

I paid ~ £750 for my quooker. It doesn’t take up worktop space and is probably twice the size of a thermos in the cupboard.

I love it.

mandog

seen a few in the states during my days as a home inspector. never had one but seem like a waste of money for the reasons stated above.

Mr5O
    Free Member

We’ve (Company I work) have just installed 19No. Quooker systems for a great british broadcasting establishment that has recently moved to the North and I think they are great. The MD of Quooker UK offered me a fantastic deal on their domestic size system but still don’t have that amount of money to waste/spend on a gadget.

Good thing about them is you can fill pans etc for cooking without having to boil a full kettle

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve fitted quite a few Quooker systems now, I’m very impressed by them but not sure if I could anti up the £700 myself. They are an easy install and very handy but I don’t find boiling up a kettle all that much of a chore to be honest!

zokes
    Free Member

Good thing about them is you can fill pans etc for cooking without having to boil a full kettle

I’m as confused as molgrips here – is there something really onerous about filling a kettle with how much water you need that I’m missing?

Mr5O
    Free Member

I’m not saying its an onerous task filling the kettle, just a job that is made easier by the Quooker and over the course of a year a lot more energy efficient. Putting it in simple terms it’s like a very expensive tv remote you could get up off yer arse to change channel but you don’t have to.

timber

They’ve got one at another office and provides constant amusement for us wood dwellers that hot water for drinks is so readily available.

Think it makes sense economically in an office situation and is convenience at home.

molgrips
    Free Member

over the course of a year a lot more energy efficient

I’m really sceptical of that. Provided you’re not boiling a full kettle for one cup every time, which I suspect the comparison done by the manufacturer would be doing.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We have Zip ones at work. In the 2 years they have been in probably had 4 call outs. Which is 4 more than you would have with a kettle.

How can they be as efficient as a kettle? They basically have to heat the water continually. Maybe justifiable in a big office where people would always be boiling a kettle, but not at home.

warton
    Free Member

we have them at work, always broken, but to be fair the engineer has said they aren’t meant for the heavy usage they get in the office, they are only meant for home use. (don’t know if this is only the model we have, or a general statement)

Algore
    Free Member

Seems like everyone likes the Quooker ones but other makes are pants?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

And they use more energy…. Despite their claims

… Which would make your name on he rather ironic… 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got any experience with the fancy Kitchen Boiling Hot taps you can get.’ is closed to new replies.