Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Anyone got any examples of fantastic product marketing?
  • tyger
    Free Member

Just wondering 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Those con holographic bands – there are even still people who believe they work despite the slapdown 😆 😆

jam-bo

on-one frames – nothing special but seem to be revered by the STW masses.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nonk
    Free Member

apple stuff.

aP
    Free Member

BMW
    Audi
    The North Face
    D&G
    Tommy Hilfiger

Apparently they’re all “must have” aspirational brands.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Volkswagen

clubber
    Free Member

😳

BMW
    Audi
    The North Face
    D&G
    Tommy Hilfiger

I don’t have any of the ‘must haves’. 🙂

sas
    Free Member

Most of the well known ethical brands like Howies, Innocent.

5lab

howies
    on-one
    cotic

appear to have somehow ‘got there’

tyger
    Free Member

Okay let me clarify – rather than just listing the brands I was wondering more about inspirational methods used 🙂

binners

The best piece of marketing/advertising ever produced by man. FACT!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opCecHAjzeQ[/video]

Immediately banned by the advertising standards authority. As most good advertising tends to be

clubber
    Free Member

(for those of us who can’t access youtube?)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Tango ads.

aP
    Free Member

Howies – sold to Timberland
    Innocent – sold to Coca Cola
    Pret a Manger – sold to Macdonalds
    Rachel’s Organic – sold by $11.2bn turnover American firm to €8,5 bn turnover French firm

All of them exhibit pretty good product marketing I’d say…

BoardinBob

Any bottled water company.

Drac

Immediately banned by the advertising standards authority. As most good advertising tends to be

Was it I seem to remember it ran quite sometime.

VW
    Guinness
    Red Bull

Are 3 top marketing bods surely?

MrSmith
    Free Member

howies
    on-one
    cotic

appear to have somehow ‘got there’

i guess 99% of the population have never heard of them, 2 of them have very little in the way of marketing, what little marketing they do i would hardly proffer as examples of ‘fantastic product marketing’

Stoner
    Free Member

Not all bottled water companies pull it off though 🙂
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/mar/02/foodanddrink.marketingandpr?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Coca-Cola confirmed yesterday that the source for its new Dasani bottled water was the mains supply to its factory in Sidcup, Kent. It said that a “highly sophisticated purification process” meant that the product was “as pure as bottled water gets”. Dasani costs around 95p for a 500ml bottle.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/mar/19/foodanddrink?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Coca-Cola’s campaign to conquer the bottled water market suffered a further setback today, when the company announced it was withdrawing its new Dasani product from UK shops.
    Dasani – the biggest-selling bottled water brand in the United States – was launched here amid a blaze of publicity earlier this month as “one of the purest waters around”.

But the entire batch was being withdrawn today after the drink was found to contain levels of bromate – a substance linked with an increased cancer risk – in excess of UK legal standards.

jam-bo

not all bottled water…

Dasani was launched in the UK on 10 February 2004. The product launch was labelled “a disaster”,[5] a “fiasco”[6] and a “PR catastrophe”.[6]
    Early advertisements referred to Dasani as “bottled spunk” or featured the tagline “can’t live without spunk”. These slogans were used seemingly oblivious to the fact that spunk is slang for semen in the UK.[7][8]
    Prior to the launch, an article in The Grocer trade magazine had mentioned that the source of the Dasani brand water was in fact treated tap water from Sidcup, a suburban development in London. By early March 2004, the mainstream press had picked up on the story[9] and it became widely reported that Sidcup tap water was being treated, bottled and sold under the Dasani brand name in the UK.[5] Although Coca-Cola never implied that the water was being sourced from a spring or other natural source, they marketed it as being especially “pure”. This led the Food Standards Agency to request Hillingdon trading standards officers to launch an investigation into whether the claim was accurate.[10]
    Richard May, Chief Publicity Officer of Dasani, was said to be disappointed that the water had not been more successful.
    The media made mocking parallels with an episode of the well-known BBC sitcom Only Fools and Horses, in which protagonist Del Boy attempts to pass off local tap water as bottled “Peckham Spring”.[5] Del’s scheme fails when he pollutes the local reservoir, causing the bottled water to glow yellow.
    On 18 March 2004, UK authorities found a concentration of bromate, a suspected human carcinogen, in the product that could be considered harmful if consumed in large quantities. Coca-Cola immediately recalled half a million bottles and pulled the “Dasani” brand from the UK market.[11] Shortly after, plans to introduce the brand to Continental Europe were announced to have been cancelled as well. Bromate was not present in the water before Coca-Cola’s treatment process. During that process the bromate was produced from the water’s bromide.
    Coca-Cola intended to launch Dasani in France and Germany, although this never went ahead after bad publicity in the United Kingdom.[citation needed]

Stoner
    Free Member

oooo. spooky 😉

verses

I’m stunned by the recent (last 3ish years) fashion for drinking cider. For ages it had been viewed as a drink to get off your face on as a teenager then never touch again, or as the preserve of bench-based-boozers.
    The marketing bod who turned that around deserves every penny he/she earnt.

thehustler
    Free Member

Hoover – who better?
    cel-o-tape

and any others who have managed to make the generic name of an item their trade name

BoardinBob

People still bought it though.

A litre of bottled water costs about as much as a litre of petrol!

epicyclo

The methods used to sell cigarettes.

They make you stink. They kill you in a most unpleasant painful and lingering way. They destroy your quality of life in the meantime.

Yet people still buy them.

Surely that’s fantastic product marketing?

Drac

The methods used to sell cigarettes.

What don’t advertise them in anyway what so ever?

Not sure that’ll work for many products.

xiphon
    Free Member

Coca-Cola

It’s the reason why Santa wears a red suit…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The marketing bod who turned that around deserves every penny he/she earnt.

That would be C&C in Ireland – one of my former employers. I did a nine month work experience stint there when I was at university. It was a niche Summer drink when I was there (1991) – drunk as Bulmers in Ireland and then launched as Magners here (with the backing of venture capitalists I think).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, very true 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

they couldnt use the bulmers name here as that brand is owned by Heineken outside of Eire. Magners and Bulmers worked together but Bulmer kept the international rights to the name when the split it up again.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Is there a difference between branding and marketing?

FuzzyWuzzy

Superfresco wallpaper – I still catch myself singing the tune in my head occasionally (although perhaps that points more towards my mental state than effective advertising). So basically a catchy tune > all, although admittedly I’ve never bought any…

Stoner
    Free Member

I imagine the former is the act of creating the commercial identity whereas the latter is floggin it.

Stoner
    Free Member

*you do the shake n vac and put the freshness back…
    do the shake and vac and put the freshness back*

hands up who’s got that in their heads now then? 🙂

Drac

Yes that’s right of course it is.

verses

About 6 years ago we’d gone to Dublin for a mate’s birthday celebrations. In a bar I saw a pump of Bulmers, not knowing what it was I assumed it was beer/real-ale and ordered it. The first sip induced teenage vomiting flashbacks…
    Even now that it’s been popular for a few years I still wince when I see someone drink cider.

Cougar

Viral marketing for some drink or other…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S0J1wsfRw8[/video]

Northwind

Cravendale… Those Cow, Pirate and Cyclist ads are pretty much legendary.

Specsavers are very good too, from the Postman Pat ad to sponsoring football referees, very clever stuff.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

you do the shake n vac and put the freshness back…
    do the shake and vac and put the freshness back

hands up who’s got that in their heads now then?

Me, but only because of the wag who, when watching Poltergeist 2 (circa 1986) at the cinema started singing the tune when the Indian guy started sprinkling that powder around the family to protect them from evil spirits.

It kinda spoilt the scary mood in the cinema but it was hilarious.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The methods used to sell bikes.

They make you stink. They kill you in a most unpleasant painful and lingering way. They destroy your quality of life in the meantime.

Yet people still buy them.

Surely that’s fantastic product marketing?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got any examples of fantastic product marketing?’ is closed to new replies.