Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • anyone got an orbea 24 kids bike . or other 24 kids bike
  • firestarter
    Free Member

After a new bike for the little lady and she really likes the orbea mx 24 xc and it is a lovely bike and fits her well with a shorter stem on

But i keep going back to isla bikes beinn 24 as we have had 3 islabikes i know they hold their value well and knowing in a couple of years it will be for sale again its a big consideration

Isla is 350 and orbea is 290. Any others worth a look . She did like the carrera abyss for 180 which look good value but the fit was a bit odd as certain parts very clearly not the right size for a kids bike she looked awkward on it

Cheers

Marge
    Free Member

my 9yr old has one of these:

http://www.orbea.com/int-en/bicycles/mx-24-team/

1×10, v-brakes & no suspension. Simple but effective
    Under 10kg too

he races BMX ‘normally’ and is very hard on kit as a result and so far no issues whatsoever with the Orbea
    I don’t live in the UK hence Islabikes was not considered..

mogrim

My daughter has one, nice bike, seems well made. It’s a bit heavy, although that seems to be normal for kids bikes and isn’t a problem as she has nothing to compare it to 🙂

The front fork doesn’t move much, although the most we’ve done is bump down kerbs, it might be a bit more active if you hit some proper trails.

I’d happily get another one.

Another option would be Decathlon if you have one nearby. Similar sort of weight and also reasonable quality.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers fellas she instantly fell in love with the orbea but im really still leaning islabike . Bleedin kids lol

mogrim

Cheers fellas she instantly fell in love with the orbea but im really still leaning islabike . Bleedin kids lol

Are you going to get 60gbp more when you resell the Islabike vs. what you’d get for the Orbea? If not, get the one she wants!

firestarter
    Free Member

Thats the tough one the isla often sell for 250-280 used the orbea is a bit of an unknown

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member
    firestarter
    Free Member

I knoe chef i recommend the abyss but its all change lol i may just go orbera as it looks better than my bike 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

Another option would be Decathlon if you have one nearby. Similar sort of weight and also reasonable quality

Which model have you got?
    The MX team is way lighter than anything in Decathlon, Trek, Cube range…
    Ridiculous for a 9-10yr old to be riding a bike that weighs more than my 29er

Islabikes I believe are good weight wise also?

mogrim

Which model have you got?
    The MX team is way lighter than anything in Decathlon, Trek, Cube range…
    Ridiculous for a 9-10yr old to be riding a bike that weighs more than my 29er

Islabikes I believe are good weight wise also?

The MX Team has a rigid fork, the XC has a suspension fork. Despite this, the Team is also over 100€ more expensive (at least here in Spain, according to Orbea’s web page)… I’d certainly expect it to weigh less!

firestarter
    Free Member

Serious spanner in the works she had just tried a bright red frog bike 62 shes in love. Impressive bike tbh and very light lighter than her current isla beinn 20 small with knobblies on

augustuswindsock

My lad had isla beinn 20 (now his kid sisters) and now he’s got the orbea team 24, they’re all good, and frogs look good too, whatever you get she won’t be disappointed, fwiw I think the orbea is the coolest looking as do my lads school mates, one of then waits at the school gates to ride his bike to the bike shed! Moreover Any of the three of them will have decent resale value too!

firestarter
    Free Member

Orbea does look great 🙂

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I know its not the fashionable choice on here but the Specialized range has done my kids proud. The current 20″ Hotrock has done my son for 2yrs then passed on to his sister for a further 2 yrs. I bet I still get good money for it on Ebay. Usually put them up for 50% of new on buy it now and sell them very quickly.

Just bought this
    In the sale for £270. Capable of much more than she is wanting and because its the higher spec XC its got the higher spec frame and wheels so quite light.

TomB

How old? My lad got his Beinn 24 aged 6.5, mainly because islabikes size up much smaller than others for a given wheel size (which is great for him, but may mean they don’t compare size-wise with other manufacturers’ 24″ offerings).

firestarter
    Free Member

Shes 7 but little shes currently on a beinn 20 small she just fits the orbea and frog 62 so would fit the isla 24 too

PaulMc
    Free Member

The MX Team is a superb bike. It is much lighter than the XC or Dirt. It may not be as light as an Islabike though, but it looks much better than 24″ wheel Islabikes and that matters for kids.

My 11 year old son has had the Team for about two years. The 1×10 Deore gears are superb, he can get up just about anything, and can climb better than me in the Alps!

Personally I would choose the Team over the XC. The suspension forks will add a lot of weight and I don’t think the drivetrain is the same quality. My son spent two weeks downhilling in the Alps quite happily this summer on his Team. We have just bought a Dirt because we couldn’t find a Team and even after changing the drivetrain and brakes it is still significantly heavier – steel fork.

Only downside to the Orbea is the brakes are sh**t. My son crashed twice in the wet his first ride, on the Dalbeattie Red. When I checked I found I could actually flex the levers. I fitted Deore V brakes and he hasn’t looked back since.

I now know that you can buy the Team from Germany at a very reasonable price.

ade9933
    Free Member

We have 2 Hoy Bonaly 24″ers (twins – 8yr olds).

Kids love them. currently trying some suss forks on one but the kids aren’t too impressed by the difference yet and are likely to go back to rigid for the weight saving.

(rigid forks are 600g, coil suss forks from a Scott Scale are about 2Kg)

M6TTF
    Free Member

Another hoy bonaly 24 here. Very impressed with it

firestarter
    Free Member

She seems smitten with the frog 62 now after a test ride. Where can you get the orbea from in Germany tho

PaulMc
    Free Member

Where can you get the orbea from in Germany tho

Ebay. This is also an absolute bargain if you can collect: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/orbea-24-team-childs-mountain-bike-/261639442901?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3ceaed11d5

s1m0n
    Free Member

Just picked up Hoy Bonaly yesterday. Seems v lightweight and feels as though should last.
    Bought it for eldest with the plan being the other two kids will use it afterwards.

jameso

Hoy Bonaly 24″ers (twins – 8yr olds). Kids love them. currently currently trying some suss forks on one but the kids aren’t too impressed by the difference yet

Interested that someone’s fitted forks to them, they’re rigid-specific so the geo could be pretty messed up by that. Maybe less so that I thought. Any side-on pics, or do you know the fork length?

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers paul the fella wont post and i dont fancy a 6hr drive ; ( thanks mate

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

(rigid forks are 600g, coil suss forks from a Scott Scale are about 2Kg)

Now that’s interesting.

Anybody got any links to 24″ rigid, canti, QR forks?

mtbtortoise
    Free Member

Got a Pinnacle Aspen for my daughter. Much lighter than my son’s Giant nt and she loves it. Window where 24″ seems right size seems to pass quite quickly.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘anyone got an orbea 24 kids bike . or other 24 kids bike’ is closed to new replies.