• This topic has 35 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anyone got an iPhone 6 Plus?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Any opinions on daily use/experiences greatly appreciated.

tomhoward

Yep.

It. Is. Ace.

Unless you have dainty little girl hands. Then you’d be better off with a 6 or accept that 1 handed texting/typing in general is a thing of the past.

Battery life is much better than the 5s I had before, it still fits fine in my pockets and hasn’t bent. Because I haven’t tried to bend or break it. Get a case for it though, as the shiny, slim sides/back are trick to keep hold of.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve got a 6 and I’ve being playing on a friends 6 plus today.

After seeing the screen and the fact it’s not much bigger I really wish I’d gone for the 6 plus now.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting. Have a 6 and didn’t consider the plus as I though it would be tooooo big. OP the 6 is great and now when I see my old 4S it looks tiny and I wondered how I read anything !

scaredypants

accept that 1 handed texting/typing in general is a thing of the past

Still no swype on iphones ?
    outrageous; I’m oot

(big phones are ace – 6+ still a bit small for me: oot^2)

drslow
    Free Member

Top tip – lightly double tap the home / fingerprint sensor and the screen comes down so you can reach the too, ideal for the address bar in the browser.

dti

decided to go for a zperia z3 this time, it’s taken a few weeks to sort out but I reckon that it’s just as good if not better than my old iphone 5 – plus it’s waterproof.

tomhoward

I’m not talking about reaching the top, I mean stretching ones thumb to other side of the screen… When in portrait, I can barely reach Q or P (depending on which hand i use) on the qwerty keyboard/display.

Jamie
    Free Member

You can come back in, as there is Swype, Swiftkey etc.

CountZero

accept that 1 handed texting/typing in general is a thing of the past
    outrageous; I’m oot

Of course you can have Swype on an iPhone, 3rd party keyboards are part of iOS 8, so you can have them on a 5 up.
    I tried it, really couldn’t get to grips with it so I’ve dumped it.
    I’m oot.
    http://recode.net/2014/09/16/new-iphone-6-keyboard/
    I’m going to upgrade to a 6+, just because it’ll be so much easier using OS maps in Viewranger and using satnav in the car, reading books, and viewing and editing photos.
    +1 on a decent case, although you can get contoured glass screen protectors, coupled with a decent grippy wraparound case, that out to cope with everything except a loo/bath dunking… 😉

scaredypants

You can come back in, as there is Swype, Swiftkey etc.

Yay \o/

Now, about this 6-7 inch screen, …

simon_g

My brother has one and loves it. I spent a while using it and it confirmed that I wanted the smaller 6.

It is borderline too big for most front pockets though and it certainly looks odd in the front pocket of smarter trousers. I spent a while seeing if I could use it one-handed at all, and it’s just too much of a stretch. Holding it in my left hand I can’t hit the P key on the far side without it falling out of my hand.

My wife will almost certainly get one at some point, but she’s been carrying an older iPhone and a 3G iPad mini everywhere.

If you’re sat on the fence then you should probably get the 6.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yep.

It. Is. Ace.

Unless you have dainty little girl hands
    ^^ this
    Great size big enough to be an advantage and yet still small/slim/light enough to fit in a pocket. Get one you won’t regret it

Posted from my iPhone 6 Plus 😉

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Yes. It’s quite big, smaller than a windows phone that my colleague has but bigger than the Sony that my other colleague has. It’s still an iPhone.

It’s a phone though, not the be all and end all. (But yes, I’ve had pretty much all the models since the 2g)

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Extra screen size is a big plus though…

🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Had one for a while but concluded was too big for 95% of my usage. So swapped back to 5S. Will get a regular 6 tho Moto X looked like the ideal size (better proportioned than 6+ which is a bit long).

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

I have a 6 and a 6 plus but I only got the plus yesterday. With the 6 I can use the phone with one hand comfortably with the 6 plus as has been mentioned above its pretty much two handed. Time will tell. The battery seems to be better on my 6 then the plus which is the wrong way round but the plus is only on its first charge. For some reason for the battery on my 6 has gotten better after a week or two of charging.

Other then that it’s just a bigger version of the 6. No new features or much like that so just get the one you prefer using.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Actually having just tried it. I can text with one hand. But then I have big hands.

tomhoward

Other then that it’s just a bigger version of the 6. No new features or much like that so just get the one you prefer using.

The plus has a higher res display than the six, 1920×1080 plays 1334×750

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

So it’s a bigger version of the 6? 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting comments here. I did wonder whether people would think the 6+ might replace their iPad Mini’s, I personally prefer the 6 and full size iPad combination as the extra tablet screen size I need to read things comfortable especially without my glasses. The 6 is a big improvement for me in terms of screen size (vs 4S) but still compact enough to be carried easily.

footflaps

I have the 6 and have tried the 6+, it just seems a little too big to go in a pocket, whereas the 6 fits all my pockets easily.

IA

nteresting comments here. I did wonder whether people would think the 6+ might replace their iPad Mini’s, I personally prefer the 6 and full size iPad combination as the extra tablet screen size

I tried a 6 and 6+, and I got the 6.

Whilst the + is brilliant to use, it’s just not as portable all of the time. Most of the time it’d not make a difference, but it would some of the time. Also I have a retina mini ipad, and I’m pretty sure if I got a + I wouldn’t use it any more (or hardly). Already my usage of the mini has decreased slightly with the larger 6. I prefer the mini to the full size, as the line length suits me better for reading, as does the reduced weight. Though with the Air2 there’s more than just size reasons to get a bigger ipad, substantially more power there.

The interesting measure about screen size and utility I always think of in terms of distance – how far away does the next bigger screen need to be before I just use the one to hand.

E.g. iphone in pocket/hand, ipad on the side, macbook over on the desk… for a given task, how close to me does the ipad need to be that I pick it up over the phone. More and more it’s the case if I have to actually move to fetch the ipad I’ll not bother… and some things I’d not bother at all (twitter).

rocketman
    Free Member

wonder whether people would think the 6+ might replace their iPad Mini’s

No in use the two are quite different

The major difference is that the Mini is an iPad and it uses iPad apps which work well in landscape. The 6 Plus rotates its native apps like an iPad but otherwise it uses iPhone apps which of course don’t rotate

There are quite a few iPad-specific books as well which is a bit pants because the 6 Plus has a crisp 1080p display

lunge

IA has just summed it up nicely for me. I chose a 6 over a 6+ as the 6+ was just too big to sit in my pocket comfortably. I may have got used to it but given the jump in size from my old 4s to the 6 anyway I decided not to take the risk.

The use thing is also interesting, I too find I’m using my iPad less than I was, though in fairness my iPad has rendered my laptop pretty much redundant.

njee20
    Free Member

I have the 6 and have tried the 6+, it just seems a little too big to go in a pocket, whereas the 6 fits all my pockets easily.

This.

tomhoward

So it’s a bigger version of the 6?

With higher res. 400 ppi vs 330 odd ppi. 1080p full hd vs 720p…

😆

🙄

moshimonster
    Free Member

1080p full hd vs 720p…

Does that actually make much difference in the real world on something that size? I can’t tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42″ TV.

iolo
    Free Member

I chose a 6 over a 6+ as the 6+ was just too big to sit in my pocket comfortably.

You must have very small pockets or wear your sisters skinny jeans.
    I just got one and must admit that it fits all my garments pockets with room to spare.

brassneck

You must have very small pockets or wear your sisters skinny jeans.
    I just got one and must admit that it fits all my garments pockets with room to spare.

Maybe you wear clown trousers all day 🙂

I too rejected the 6 plus on the basis of size, but I expect by the next time I change it’ll be the new normal and I’ll wonder why I didn’t get one that big first time around.

Turning it around, I don’t find the smaller size of the 6 limiting at all and any screen difference was negligible in day to day use.

Might get a plus as a work phone though

nickb

I have used both, and settled on the 6. I used a 6 Plus as my main phone for about 2-3 weeks, then tried the 6, and much prefer it:
    – The 6 Plus is big (and more noticeable) in your pockets.
    – I found it ok in a jersey pocket on the bike, but not ok in shorts pockets going for a run. The 6 is more comfortable in the pocket when running
    – Hard to explain, but I find the 6 Plus a little ‘top heavy’ in your hand. I was conscious of it overbalancing. I’ve used a Samsung Note 3 quite a bit too, and I don’t find it a problem, but that extra 1/4″ height (or whatever it is) meant that I found the 6 Plus felt unbalanced.

Overall, I’m very happy with the 6. We have a 6 Plus in the office and I could swap bak any time, but I’m not even slightly tempted to try it.

Nick

cr500dom
    Free Member

I went for the 6 over the 6+ as it just fitted better everywhere.
    6 plus wouldn’t have fitted in the phone slot in the dash of the new van either, so that kind of ruled it out for me.

Very happy with the 6 so far (Apart from the wait to get one after I smashed the screen on my 4) 😳

DrJ

Of course you can have Swype on an iPhone, 3rd party keyboards are part of iOS 8, so you can have them on a 5 up.
    I tried it, really couldn’t get to grips with it so I’ve dumped it.
    I’m oot.

I’m not sure I see the point of the various alternative keyboards. What are the advantages?

loddrik
    Free Member

Update: ended up going for a 6, the Plus was just a bit too big for my girly hands.

Drac

6 Plus is way too big for pockets. You need a girly handbag for one.

br
    Free Member

I have a 6 and a 6 plus but I only got the plus yesterday.

I’d hate to think how much money these two have cost… 😯

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got an iPhone 6 Plus?’ is closed to new replies.