Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone got an Evil Calling yet???
  • discapade
    Free Member

It’s driving me nuts…I have a Following which is great but the Calling ticks all my boxes..I need help..!

discapade
    Free Member

Bumpy

snooze
    Free Member

I have a Following and was interested in a Calling when it first came out, but resented paying UK list price of £3200 for a Frame which sells in the US for $2900 (£2330). So I kept my Following, which the Calling would have replaced, and spent the money on 2016 Strive CF 9.0 in Canyon’s sale, to give me a longer travel bike that sits along side rather than replaces the Following. Great ride, full carbon frame, Fox 36, DT Swiss 1501’s, Next SL/Sram XO drive train, Guide Ultimates, etc., all for £3350, only £150 more than I was being quoted for a Calling frame.

However yesterday I noticed that Evil now have a European website and that they seem to have moved to a combined direct sales/LBS business model (can’t remember seeing any press releases or news items about this)and are offering the Calling Frame for a more reasonable, (well less than Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis etc), Euros 2900 (£2480 + postage), so about £2500 delivered. £700 less than UK Evil Dealers are advertising them at? So it looks as if the Calling has just became a lot more accessible.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I think this frame would suit me down to the ground as well, but so far my uprising is still in one piece so it’s parked in the back of my mind as frames I’d be interested in should the worst happen.

poah
    Free Member

How’s the cracking and warranty issues going with evil these days lol

Stevet1
    Free Member

nice one, oh my aching sides.

snooze
    Free Member

It’s a bit like all those people who used to carry on with the Skoda “jokes”, for years after Skoda had raised their game…………..

kimbers

snooze – Member
    It’s a bit like all those people who used to carry on with the Skoda “jokes”, for years after Skoda had raised their game…………..

whod have thought terrible QC backed up with terrible customer service would leave some sort of legacy…….. 😆

tops5
    Free Member

Is it better now then? Genuinely interested to know

poah
    Free Member

Legacy – thought this was a recent thing?

shermer75
    Free Member

Have to admit I must be behind the times too because the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was ‘wasn’t there a big stink about their frames cracking’…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

genuine question then, have they stopped cracking?

snooze
    Free Member

I’ve owned a Following for 18 months and ridden it about 6 hours a week, mainly Surrey Hills and Bike Park Wales absolutely no problem at all. I initially held off buying one because of all the bad press about previous manufacturing/warranty issues, but read this

http://www.bikemag.com/gear-features/blueprint/evil-following/#DqBbpWuaRBcEgpbx.97

and decided to take a risk and give one a go and I’ve very happy with my choice. You need to ride one, they are that good.

While there isn’t an annual JD Power type survey of mountain bikes, as far as I’m aware since changing their manufacturer Evil have had no more warrantee issues than other brands.

Milkie
    Free Member

Yea it was recent.. Just like Santa Cruz and Lappiere frames cracking, recent. There are not many manufacturers who haven’t had Carbon frame issues. 😆

I’ve dealt with Evil in Spain and they pretty much bent over backwards to help me out. They realised their customer service was shit, so they have improved it, just like YT did.

After seeing what a few riders were putting their Wreckonings through at Whistler I decided I need not worry.

ehrob

I’m glad to hear they’ve improved the QC of their products. Certainly look lovely and reviews of them are great.

However, the treatment of several people documented online (at least one on this forum) was so bad, I don’t think I could ever buy anything from them regardless.

snooze
    Free Member

The issue I was trying to highlight in my 1st post was that in the last 18 months they had become very expensive and poor value in the UK market and that was what had stopped me getting a Calling, even though I’m pretty sure it would be an ideal “one bike” to cover all my riding. I bought my Following frame for £2400 about 18 months ago and when I looked at the Calling they were asking £3200. However with the direct sales option they are now looking more attractive:-

https://eu.evil-bikes.com/

So with more realistic pricing hopefully we’ll start seeing more Callings out on the trails and somebody will be able to provide feedback to the original poster………….

Gee76
    Free Member

Maybe stick with the following for a little while yet as the little star next to the price sadly seems to indicate vat is excluded 🙁

snooze
    Free Member

Well spotted, it looked a bit too good to be true……….

snooze
    Free Member

And sticking with the Following isn’t exactly a hardship 😀

pinetree
    Free Member

Maybe stick with the following for a little while yet as the little star next to the price sadly seems to indicate vat is excluded 🙁

My heart bleeds for you. It really does… 😉

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

genuine question then, have they stopped cracking?

Yes, it would seem so.

[/quote]The issue I was trying to highlight in my 1st post was that in the last 18 months they had become very expensive and poor value in the UK market

Only in so much as you could call any similar bike or frame poor value these days. A Following frame will set you back less than a Hightower, Calling is on a par with a 5010. I think the main thing is, expensive bikes are now all very expensive.

this_wreckage
    Free Member

They actually end up slightly more expensive with VAT…!

Edit: actually scratch that, bad maths and not looking at retail prices…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got an Evil Calling yet???’ is closed to new replies.