Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone got an alpkit down sleeping bag?
  • AndyPaice
    Free Member

just bought an Alpkit skyehigh 800 bag, it’s the first down bag I’ve had but I’ve had a couple of big synthetic bags before.

I unpacked it and let it sit for a while to loft (that’s what you’re supposed to do right?) and it feels as if there is very little down on the top and base of the bag. When the side baffles are gently squeezed you can feel there is a fair bit of down there, but when gently squeezing the upper or base panels between hands (one inside/one outside the bag) it feels as if there is very little or no down in there. Hands are touching with very little between.

I got in the bag in the house, and was in there for 10 min and didn’t really get warm. Is it likely that the bag has been packed up too long and needs the down ‘loosening up’ or do down bags usually feels much thinner than synthetic bags?

I thought the skyehigh 800 was quite a big/warm bag so a little surprised to have it feeling so thin.

anyone bought an AK bag found the same/opposite?

cheers

CHB

have a feel of the bag all over to see if there are any clumps of feathers hiding! The feathers are loose and can be unevenly distributed. Have a couple of alpkit down bags and they are nearly as nice as my two rabs.

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, two of (I think) the first ones they sold. Most excellent.

tonyplym
    Free Member

If you know what the bag is supposed to weigh you could always check that it does actually weigh what it’s supposed to . . . if they’re made by the hundred there’s always a chance that an under-filled one has slipped through the quality checks.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I love my Alpkit down bag …very good quality ..lovely and warm …Its a pd800 …it has plenty of loft .
    Maybe give yours a good shake or cold tumble dry with a tennis ball ……has it got wet at all ??

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Not got wet or been left compressed, it’s been taken out of the (very large) cardboard box (was only delivered on tuesday) and I have hung it up for 2 days hoping it would loft up a bit.

Have weighed it and it is 1680g in the compression sack which is about right for the long bag. Don’t have a tumble dryer, any other way to loosen the down up?

CountZero

Rub it between your hands, 😯 all over, then really give it a good shaking 🙄 , just like flapping a towel.
    You need to break up any clumping, then get as much air into the cells and redistribute the down as much as possible, basically re-inflating it.
    Had a similar issue with a North Face Nuptse jacket that I’d stowed in its pocket for several weeks, I had to really shake and rub it, like rubbing a tennis ball backwards and forwards, then shake it out a lot, just to get air back into the down. Took a day or two to really plump up and get full insulation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got an alpkit down sleeping bag?’ is closed to new replies.