Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone got an Alfa Romeo Giulietta??
  • dickie
    Free Member

My wife’s considering changing her car from a 58 plate Astra 1.6 SXi.

She wants something with some style – doesn’t want another Astra, doesn’t like a Focus.

So she’s thing along the lines of a Alfa Giulietta JTDM 2.0 Veloce – would you recommend one?

Conqueror
    Free Member

alfa looks nice but might depreciate more rapidly and may not be as reliable as other brands (even if their reliability has improved)

volvo c30, honda civic both probably be a lot more reliable

bigrich

alfa looks nice but might depreciate more rapidly and may not be as reliable as other brands (even if their reliability has improved)

volvo c30, honda civic both probably be a lot more reliable

this type of opinion is what makes buying 2-3 year old Alfas a lot of fun – you get a modern, reliable, fully loaded car for little money because of preconceptions.

Conqueror
    Free Member

I would of bought a fair less reliable car than the one I have… the TVR S3.. except I couldn’t get in it 😛

I’m sure the Alfa is good… I can’t see it being as solid as a Volvo/Honda though..

Depends how tight money is etc…(?)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

She wants something with some style

Tell her to get a bike. Cars are about the least stylish thing you could ever want to spend your money on.

redstripe
    Free Member

Not relevant to a modern one but I had one of the old boxy Giuliettas years ago with the 2 litre engine and twin Dellorto carbs, same as now bought ‘cos cheap due to depreciation. It used to go like shit off a shovel, body parts and trim used to fall off, electrics failed regularly, but such good fun to drive. A love hate relationship. I still loved driving it. They are probably much better now but reputations tend to stick for ages so will probably depreciate quick. If you can find a good regularly serviced one, go for it, everyone should own an Alfa at some stage

dickie
    Free Member

Dave… she’s got 3 bikes.

geoffj

Mini?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

The interior lets them down tbh, even compared to an Astra / focus. compare the interior to an audi and it’s not even a contest. From the outside its a different matter, best looking 5 door hatch, IMO, tho I have an GT so may be a little biased.

2nd hand they make great buys because of the depreciation. They are nowhere near as bad as ‘ the experts’ will tell you, however. you will probably have a few niggles tho 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

New ?

I wouldn’t buy a new Alfa model unless it has been around for maybe 4 years.

I would also want a decent warranty, or buy from a trustworthy independent rather than a franchise unless the franchise is particularly reputable. Same goes for servicing.

I also wouldn’t get a diesel unless I was doing appreciable miles because of DPF filter issues.

Other than that I have three alfa now, two 156s and a GT.

First one was 9 months old at purchase and had a few problems.

Second one was also 9 months old at purchase but the 156 had been around longer at that point, and it was great – reliable and great to drive. When the clutch eventually needed doing I gave it away to a fellow mtber who liked it (as it wasn’t worth a lot by then) and he has now done it up massively and even had it resprayed so it is mint.

GT was 6 years old at purchase. First service was expensive as I basically said ‘fix everything that looks dodgy’. It is nice but doesn’t drive quite as well at the 2nd 156.

Next car will probably be a Guillietta.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

At my last service at an independent (MDZ Italtec in Charlwood) the guy reckoned Alfas were built about as well as anything (not sure about the electric myself) and that he had a mate who was rebuilding several VW Golf diesel engines a week atm that were dieing at under 50k miles.

leeph
    Free Member

At a recent corporate event at Rockingham race circuit – due to adverse weather the single seater racing cars had to be replaced with something more practical. They wheeled out 6 Alfa Guiletta’s – a few adverse comments quickly changed once we’d driven them around the track.

A real hoot, really chuck able around the track – and despite all the cars having over 30k miles on them, felt really solid and well built especially against a Ferrari 360 with similar miles.

Get one!

heebyjeeby

They say you should own an alfa at least once in your life. I did once. Never again

sparkyrhino

sexy rear lights.. that’s all I can add 😳

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Oddly I had one as a hire car one day, really liked it. The sport mode made it behave like a bit of a diesel-fuelled animal which isn’t ideal when you’re short of revs compared to a petrol model, but otherwise it was really nice all round.

zokes
    Free Member

would you recommend one?

Had one as a hire car for three weeks. Avis pretty much had to prise the keys from my hand when I had to return it. If I lived in the UK or never ventured onto dirt roads (or no road) here in Oz, I’d have one in a heartbeat.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Had my 1.4 turbo Sportiva since August. After 6 years of pick up trucks it’s a blast.
    Driving is just fantastic, makes me smile without having to drive it fast.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

makes me smile without having to drive it fast.

which is a fairly important feature nowadays, plus it has the added bonus of keeping you more attentive to the road that other cars, imho.

Plus I think the petrol engines help a little more with keeping you attentive, the engines feel just a little more ‘alive’ than the diesels, to me anyway. I only do 4-6k a year, so a diesel would also be a big mistake.

titusrider
    Free Member

Nobody mentioned the lack of a footrest next to the clutch in UK cars? Pretty much stopped my dad buying one..

I drove the cloverleaf and it was really too much engine for the car, too heavy at the front and not actually that gutsy.

The 2.0l diesel I had as a loan car was more suited, but it was a cruiser and didn’t encourage you to drive enthusiastically.

I’ve heard that for almost everyone the pick of the range is the 170bhp petrol. Powerful and light enough and fun

(I ordered a golf gti instead)

piemonster

Just perusing a well known main dealers site.

15km 2011 claimed combined cycle of 64.2mpg* £9.8k

*wonders what it really is

Also wonders what the servicing costs are?

zokes
    Free Member

The 2.0l diesel I had as a loan car was more suited, but it was a cruiser and didn’t encourage you to drive enthusiastically.

It encouraged me 😳

claimed combined cycle of 64.2mpg*

Despite my best attempts to push the accelerator through the floor (it was a hire car), in three weeks of touring the country I averaged high 50s

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got an Alfa Romeo Giulietta??’ is closed to new replies.