Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • anyone got an Adult micro scooter?
  • rOcKeTdOg

looking at this http://www.decathlon.co.uk/town-5-xl-adult-scooter-grey-id_8128722.html
    as i have to park 1.5 miles away from work (stupid PFI hospitals with not enough parking) and as it’s all downhill back to the car I thought it’d be ideal as there’s no where to safely lock a bike this would fit in my locker

scotroutes

While wearing your goggles, aye?

rOcKeTdOg

#obvs

pjt201
    Free Member

Cycle to work? Get a brompton? Anything but a scooter.

pirahna
    Free Member

I’ve had a go on one those round the Decathlon store, it seemed OK. I’ve got a similar thing that does a couple of miles a day between work and the gym, you get some strange looks from people but it’s twice as quick as walking.

Uphill is probably quicker walking.

jimdubleyou

My brother in law has one to keep up with the kids.

Scary thing. I don’t like it.

shifter
    Free Member

I sometimes jog to school alongside my 7yo while she scoots and then I scoot back. There’s no way I’m carrying the bloody thing! Scoot if you want 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

it’s all downhill back to the car

I’m a glass half empty kind of guy so that reads as ‘it’s all uphill from the car’

What you need is roller skates.

ollybus
    Free Member

Love it! Something to unwrap on Christmas day?!

slimjim78
    Free Member

I have a Goped Knowped. It’s great fun at the park keeping up with my son, he loves scooting together. Properly solid construction too

aracer
    Free Member

and one of these:
    http://rollercycle.com/

bensales
    Free Member

I may have knocked someone off one of them today.

Because, well, frankly, in Westminster in the rush hour, they’re a tad inconsiderate on the pavement.

Rubber_Buccaneer

aracer that looks lethal. Straight on the Christmas list 🙂

1199.00 PLUS SHIPPING IN THE US & CANADA

ah bollocks, no one is going to buy me one at that price.

Saccades
    Free Member

Yes, handy for scootering with the kids.

Takes a while to get used to the v short wheel base and mental sharp steering, but means you can cover stuff like a mile really quickly.

Can be hard to swop feet over and braking is a bit pooh (deadly in the wet).

Ok for the occasional rough pit (paving slab arseways say) but as soon as it gets gravelly/v rough it’s useless.

DrJ

Because, well, frankly, in Westminster in the rush hour, they’re a tad inconsiderate on the pavement.

This is London. Everyone’s inconsiderate here.

1981miked
    Free Member

Love it.. Saw somebody on one in Aberdeen a while back and though it was a genius idea. Can’t go wrong at £70 either, definitely more fun than walking.

Not sure if my thick skin could take that much of a mocking though!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s an utterly gorgeous mother who does the nursery school run with me who uses one. It’s a great way for me to reduce any interest in her. 🙂

augustuswindsock

Nooo, no, no, no, the cut off age for scooters is when you leave primary school, anything after that gets progressively more wrong with every birthday. get a skateboard, get rollerblades, get running shoes, get a Brompton, but don’t get a scooter, I shouldn’t even have to tell you!!!

Marin
    Free Member

Do it. When I worked in Sydney about 1999 micro scooters were marketed at office wallahs to get from the station to the office. I had one that was like a skateboard deck with big wheels. Great fun.

egb81
    Free Member

I bought a cheap folding scooter off ebay and it’s been a god and since I’ve been off the bike. 6km commute in 30min, quicker than the bus, so much better for my sanity and pays for itself after a few weeks.

boltonjon

I bet a guy at Uni £20 to ride back & forward to Uni on it every day until Easter…

Everyday, there it was, shackled up outside the SU bar

Funny watching him riding it home smashed later on 🙂

He took his £20 & continued to commute on it throughout the spring term

mamadirt
    Free Member

😉

Drac

Still have mine from stag do over 14 years ago, my eldest now uses it. Cost about £12 from Blackpool prom.

woodster

The title was filled with so much promise and it entirely delivers. That guy on the Decathlon site looks so ridiculous.

Get a longboard.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I hav a mad gear pro…..I share it with my kid….but it’s mine!!…ha haha

Daffy

You can get a decent Dahon folder for not much more second hand.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I have one.
    I use it for rides with the kids. 3 pushes from my front door gets me to the local shop 300m away if I need something in a hurry or rush to get there before closing time its great. I’ve always ridden skateboards, surfboards and bikes so am comfortable riding another kids toy.

Bregante

Those oxelo decathlon scooters are really well made. Bought a kids one last Christmas for my youngest and it easily copes with my 15st bulk when he gets bored of riding it.

But as above -adults on scooters basically look ridiculous.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Adult micro scooter

Pick Two.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You need this.. When you get to your hospital park it in the space that’s reserved for the Cheif Exec (or whatever you call them in your world)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get a longboard.

Might be a silly question, but how much speed do they pick up downhill?

My walk to work is about 3km, the first two are completely flat, the last one is up a moderately steep hill next to a very busy road.

Will I die if I bought a longboard to commute on, would it be too much of a PITA up the hill, and too out of control down it again?

allthepies
    Free Member

Micro adult ?

slimjim78
    Free Member

I bet a guy at Uni £20 to ride back & forward to Uni on it every day until Easter…

That’ll learn him.

Re longboard, will continuously accelerate downhill, and won’t go uphill unless you have thighs like Sir Hoy.

Yes scooters look quite daft, interesting to me that a site which promotes men riding children’s toys is quite so scornful though

allthepies
    Free Member

A bike is a child’s toy ?

Every day’s a school day.

monkeychild
    Free Member

A bike scooter is a child’s toy ?

Every day’s a school day.

Looks like it would be a fun way to commute RD. Go for it 🙂

Slightly OT, does anyone remember the BMX scooters from the late 80’s/early 90’s? They were ace fun.

Harry_the_Spider

Grown men on scooters look a bit daft.

Get a set of rollerblades.

D0NK

Tempted to get one myself, £70 vs £700 (i think) for a brompton, and the scooter is easier to carry.

Reminded of when I used to go boarding as rossendale ski slope after work, didn’t drive then so bus to and from rawtenstall and then walk up the steep hill to the ski centre. After narrowly missing my return bus a few times and waiting an age for the next one I figured I’d take my blades with me, walk up the hill, finish boarding session and skate down in about 30seconds, catch the bus no probs.

Did I mention I took my own board and boots with me? Steep hill, roller blades, weighed down with kit, some serious momentum, scary stuff! Only did it a few times.

Harry_the_Spider

[impressed]You skated down that hill?[/impressed]

[evenmoreimpressed]and lived?!?[/evenmoreimpressed]

Earl
    Free Member
    brassneck

You mean a skateboard, yeah??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘anyone got an Adult micro scooter?’ is closed to new replies.