Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone got a VW Caddy, a dog and two bikes?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’ve got a VW Caddy, which I use for transporting the pooches and one bike. Before I start doing any sketches, has anyone got a nice solution for fitting two bikes in the caddy with a dog cage too?

If I just shoved the bikes in, then they’d fit – but it’d mean a lot of scraped paintwork. And I don’t think a couple of carry mats would cut it.

Anyone done this?

Cheers for the help

Ricks

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I used to fit 7 mtbs width ways head to toe in my MK2 caddy by taking front wheels off and popping pedals off.
    I’d say dog cage at front of load area behind seats,make an upright support just off centre floor(to allow bikes to go in slightly diagonally)to ceiling to then lash the 2 bikes to with there front wheels removed.That’s what I do nowadays as I usually only take 2 bikes and store kit where you dog cage would go.

mboy
    Free Member

You see, now what you need is one of these…

It’s “only” 18″ more length, but it’s what you do with it that counts! 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

If I just shoved the bikes in, then they’d fit – but it’d mean a lot of scraped paintwork. And I don’t think a couple of carry mats would cut it.

Maybe if you threw them in for 12 ft away and didn’t tie them down.

No need for anything fancy. Put in a mesh bulkhead

One bike down each side. Probably needs to pull out front wheel. Bunji bikes to tie down hooks and then dog in the middle.

Don’t over think it.

iolo
    Free Member

why does doggie need to be in a cage in the back of a van?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You tried cleaning chain gunk off a dug?

rickon
    Free Member

why does doggie need to be in a cage in the back of a van?

I don’t think they’d appreciate rolling around the back of the van. Plus I don’t like cleaning up dog sick. 🙂

I’ll give moving the cage to the middle a go, and see if I can get the fork mounts fitted either side. Good plan 🙂

somafunk

Cage up the left hand side (if you have a left sliding door) as you can fix the cage to mounting eyelets in the floor for safety and easy to open the sliding door for dog access to walk into cage rather than get the dog to jump into the open cage from rear doors. Two bikes side by side (top & tail) but front wheels off and rear wheels secured to plywood floor by thick Velcro strap routed under and up through holes in plywood floor and front fork mounts secured with home made bodge using something Like this fork mount

pirahna
    Free Member

My Caddy has a ply floor. Bolted to the ply I’ve got a pair of SeaSucker 15mm fork mounts (raised on some ply to give clearance for QR skewers). If I need to use the mounts with a 9mm QR I’ve got a couple of Nukeproof 15mm to QR conversion kits. This setup covers me for mountain and road bikes.

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve got two seasucker mounts too. But the cage is in the way for the second bike. I’m going to have a play this evening and see if I can move things around to get both bikes in!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a VW Caddy, a dog and two bikes?’ is closed to new replies.