Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • anyone got a trailer tent – campsite costs?
  • ed34
    Free Member

toying with the idea of getting a trailer tent. I’ve been camping in them before as we used to have one when i was a lad, but just wondering how much site fees are roughly for a decent family site in the summer?

Just wondering whether its worth buying the trailer tent or just booking something like eurocamp where everything is already provided.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

How much are you thinking of spending on one?

dazz
    Free Member

in my experience Eurocamp everytime. The difference in price wasn’t worth my while dragging my folding camper along. It used to be a cheap way of holidaying, but not anymore, all IMO obviously.

ed34
    Free Member

Maybe upto 5k if we get a new one but just looking through 2nd hand ones as well.

Dazz – so are the good sites quite expensive if you have a big tent and electric hook up?

mattbee

Had one for a couple of years before we got our van.
    Great big tents, comfy beds and usually a decent kitchen unit. Only toured the UK and use to end up paying caravan rate at many campsites.
    BIngest reason we got rid was quite simply the drawbacks of towing, like having a caravan and still having to put up a tent at the destination, worst of both worlds.
    Probably worth it if you are going to use it loads and have a large family. I’d personally get a caravan or if space is a restriction, a normal trailer and a big std tent etc…

dknwhy

As above, I think it’s the worst of both worlds. Price and towing but then putting the thing up.
    I’d either get a caravan or the biggest Decathlon pop up tent I could fit in the car. The money saved with camping could be used out of season for last minute static caravan weekend breaks.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I would get a caravan for 5k if you have a car capable of towing it and space to store it. A caravan will be warmer and more useable all year round.
    But if you are planning on going to the continent I would rent the accommodation, we’ve found that to be the cheaper option.
    We use our caravan for UK hols and eurocamp etc for over the channel.

dazz
    Free Member

mine was a pennine pathfinder, it only took 10 minutes to set up & was always cosy, you get charged the same as a caravan wherever you go, the ballache for me was having to leave site at 10am & then loosing the day as I wouldn’t like to leave the camper hooked up & go wandering off, so it was straight home. As well as having to open it out to air if happened to be raining when you packed up. If Europe has your fancy then a campervan is the way forward IMO, loads of cheap & free camping on the continent.

What swung it for me was that I found a 10 day all inclusive holiday, with flights & everything for £80 more than it would have cost me drive & camp for 7 nights.

We bought a caravan & sited it on a very basic site about 30 mins from cyb for the same cost as storing it for the year, pull up, put the kettle on & we’re settled in. We have a campervan too that is used to fulfil the wanderlust, we go to France, Spain, Portugal regularly in that & only ever pay for fuel, ferries & food, not paid for a site in a long time, here or abroad.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

What sites that Dazz? Sounds good

dazz
    Free Member

aaaaaah, well kept secret 🙂 there’s only 10 vans on there & they aren’t allowed anymore, I’ve been trying to get a friend on for a while & can’t

wwaswas

We have a Trigono Olympe GL.

It’s been really good, can store it in the garage, far easier to tow than a caravan, no more difficult to put up than a caravan awning, comfy beds and can stay on tent only campsites.

Having a caravan in storage was a pain if we went away for the weekend too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘anyone got a trailer tent – campsite costs?’ is closed to new replies.