Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone got a Thermomix?
  • geoffj

They look interesting, but expensive.
    All the rage in Australia apparently

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Only know of them in a professional capacity. I know of two Michelin star chefs who swear by them.
    They are v expensive so you would want to make sure you’ll make the most of them.

They were invented as labour saving devices for rich housewives but have been wholeheartdley embraced by professionals. Their back up service is 2nd to none.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They were invented as labour saving devices for rich housewives but have been wholeheartdley embraced by professionals. Their back up service is 2nd to none.

Know a few that have them and they are a but cult like, once like Mac’s once you get one you have to tell every one how amazing it is and how you can’t understand how people cook in pans anymore….

Look ok but very expensive and when invited to a demo it was revealed that the main machine can’t be (or they didn’t think it could be)serviced so if the motor goes it’s an expensive bill. Once you add the accessories it’s getting to be a big bill.

Food wise it does loads but a lot of things are very noisy and you wouldn’t want to use one in a dining kitchen, the alarm may wake up your neighbours and get the police out.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

A friend of ours has one, she swears by it. The mrs was dragged by her to a demo of it at her house, she still prefers to cook old school in her Jamie Oliver pans. Women and gadgets 🙄

rone

We have one. They may seem expensive but like anything you get what you pay for. This is not some cheaply engineered blender. It can weigh, chop, cook and steam. You can really do a whole meal in one sitting, but you really have to experiment to get the best from it.

The flip side is it’s noisy, fairly big and isn’t great with some cooking (I find it’s spag bol too watery).

Vorwerk the company that supplies them operate a direct sales model that has barely taken off on some countries but is rife in others. We have ours because gf’s aunt is Australian.

Of the type of product it is, it’s leagues ahead of other blender/cooker combos but feels very substantial and industrial hence they end up on pro kitchens.

ebygomm
    Free Member

My sister (in Australia) and my mum have both got one and both love them.

I don’t ‘get’ the point of them.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

We have one, and they do seem pretty popular over here in Australia. I was extremely sceptical of the $2k blender at first, and put my foot down and said we weren’t getting one. After one of my work trips away I returned and was woken with eggs Benedict in bed complete with homemade hollendaise, it took me a while to twig that this was me being told we had a $2k blender.

Anyhow I’m now won over, we have pretty good home made chilli, curry, Bolognese, jams, soups, mashed tatties, bread, yoghurt, butter, and loads and loads of other stuff. Some or maybe all of it we could have done before but didn’t and only do now as there is a new toy to play with. Some of it does seem much easier with the magic $2k blender. MrsIshouldbeworking does loads of good stuff for our little boy with lots of allergies like homemade nut free nut butter (sunflower seeds I think), hazelnut milk (he’s allergic to soy but not hazelnuts) etc. Needs a bit of experimenting on some recipes to get right, loads of Internet forums and Facebook groups etc. with good pointers and recipes though.

Washing up is easy if you just run it with some water and liquid for a few seconds then give it a rinse. We do have two bowls these days which helps if you are using it lots. Support seems to be good, we’ve just had a flakey plastic spatula replaced with no fuss. It is noisy, we have an open plan kitchen/diner/living room and it can get annoying.

I have no idea why they stick with the direct sales thing. I think if they upped the volumes and got the price down a but it would sell well in John Lewis and the like.

On the whole, as a previous sceptic I would not hesitate to buy another.

Juicing doesn’t seem to be its strong point, I’ve put my foot down and said no to a $500 horum juicer, we’ll see how long that lasts.

allthepies
    Free Member

When’s your next work trip ? 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have no idea why they stick with the direct sales thing. I think if they upped the volumes and got the price down a but it would sell well in John Lewis and the like.

Probably because they can’t make it any cheaper without it not working and no-one is going to JL (or harvey norms out here) and going to walk out with one.

The direct sales thing was good we got a dinner ou

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably because they can’t make it any cheaper without it not working and no-one is going to JL (or harvey norms out here) and going to walk out with one.

The direct sales thing was good we got a dinner out of it. The downsize was it wasn’t fantastic and some things I just prefer to do properly like making bread, thats more about feel than germanic programming. To do everything it’s a heap of attachments (not included)

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Allthepies – currently in Angola, home at the end of the month, perhaps to freshly squeezed orange juice with my breakie… 🙄

budgierider67

Everything I had out of one had the texture of baby food. The owners do seem a bit fanatical about them too.

saleem
    Free Member

I’ve used one at work for years, £1200, but for home I’d rather a vitamix at £450.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

A friend has one she swears by it. I have used it myself and it is very impressive.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Thermomix?’ is closed to new replies.