Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone got a TDCI Ford Fusion?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

MrsJ is contemplating a TDCI ford fusion as her next car. Anyone have one or have a valid (read experienced) opinion on one?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My brother has one. He likes it but the kit is basic. Doesn’t even have a CD player. Good MPG, but he says he’s never seen anyone under 60 driving one – He’s 32. I drive a Berlingo so what do I know?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

so me and the mrs would be ultimate grandparents at 31 and 34 respectively!
    Fusion and Pug partner – lol!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

I imagine the Fusion will be very cheap to buy.

-m-
    Free Member

Never driven, or even sat in one, but I’ve never read a good review of one (ever…). Always seem to get completely panned.

Is there any particular reason to get one of these over a standard Fiesta?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the boot shape to accommodate a push chair and the fact that its “marginally” bigger

hora
    Free Member

Its panned as its in limbo/doesnt fit into any box does it? Spacewise etc it’ll be a Fiesta but without the Fiesta’s popularity-price.

zokes
    Free Member

I do have experience of the TDCI engine (my mondeo had one). Great until it breaks – search for TDCI and problems in google, and you’ll soon see what I mean

hora
    Free Member

Also consider the old shape Mazda2? That’ll be reliable and cheap now.

Or…..the Mitsubishi Colt.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

No, but have TDcI engine in 2003 Focus and it’s amazingly economical when driven carefully. That’s worth a lot and was my main reason to get it.

-m-
    Free Member

the boot shape to accommodate a push chair and the fact that its “marginally” bigger

OK. I think typical comments are that it’s too compromised to justify the higher price, but if you’ve got a specific reason and the price is right then fair enough.

Is it worth looking at the Focus hatchback as well, or is that too big?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it make sense to get a Focus? Better residuals and bigger to boot.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

It would make most sense to have 2 massive cars but finances/parking spaces/economy etc dictate otherwise

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A Focus is hardly ‘massive’ and has great boot space. I bet it is no more than about 10% bigger all round than a Fusion.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Focus
    Length4481 mm – 14’8″
    Width1839 mm – 6’0″ – exc. mirrors
    Height1497 mm – 4’11”
    Wheel Base2640 mm – 8’8″

Fusion
    Length4013 mm – 13’2″
    Width1724 mm – 5’8″ – exc. mirrors
    Height1512 mm – 5’0″
    Wheel Base2486 mm – 8’2″

A foot and a half longer and 4 inches wider – seems little compared to the benefits….

cp

the tdci engine in the fiesta (edit – and fusion) is a different unit to the mondeos and focus’s… it’s a 1.4 which i believe was developed by peugoet (as i think most ford diesels are!).

a mate used to have one… it felt very plasticky inside, quote low rent really. he said it was ok round town, but scary on twisty roads or quick maneuvers on the motorway as it felt so top heavy and unstable. pretty cheap though.

Aristotle
    Free Member

The non-Europe SUV version (EcoSport) that appears to share a few parts, but looks like a small Freelander/very small Ford Expedition, seemed ok for tootling along the ‘high street’

the suspension was rolly on the road, but excellent at absorbing bumps off-road. Horses for courses

-although the TDCi may be better, as the petrol engine got a bit wheezy above 3000m.

“Although based on the Fusion, sharing its engine, transmission and suspension, the EcoSport’s taller ride height gives it a more rugged look. The styling is based on that of the American Ford Escape, and features wider, rounder front lights and a spare wheel on the tailgate. Chunky plastic cladding protects the doors and wheelarches.

Inside, the cabin is nearly identical to that of the Fusion, with well placed controls and an excellent driving position. But right-hand-drive cars would probably have the same problem as both the Fusion and Fiesta – there’s nowhere to rest your clutch foot”

stumpy01

I test drove the Fusion 1.4TDCi when I actually turned up to test drive the Fiesta 1.6TDCi Zetec-S that the dealer had told me would be available and then……..didn’t exist.
    Bloke persuaded me to go out in the Fusion to get an idea of how the ‘diesel feels’….erm, OK.

Thoughts were:

– bit of a rattly engine & quite sluggish.
    – rolled a fair bit, but handled OK & to be expected with bodyshape.
    – would probably be practical for mountain bikes in back due to high roofline.

I ended up going for an Ibiza TDi over the Fiesta (or Fusion) Zetec-S.
    Have you considered one of these? The MkIV (one that’s just been replaced) had a larger boot than the Fiesta & it’s a decent size aperture. You’d easily get a pushchair in.
    I have got the 1.9TDI (130) and it’s plenty quick & economical. I get on average just over 55mpg out of it. At the moment doing my long commute on the A1 I am getting consistently 60mpg per tank. The 100 bhp version will do a few more mpg, and to be honest is still nice & grunty. They also do a 1.4 which is a fair bit slower, but should be even more economical.
    You seem to be able to pick up 2nd hand Ibizas fairly cheap. Mine was £1k cheaper than a similar age/mileage Fabia VRs, but it’s essentially the same car.
    Only complaints are the interior is a bit Mickey Mouse & the ride is quite crashy.

Pieface

Focus TDCi is good. Get some bargains 2nd hand as well and doesn’t look like a car for ‘Special’ people.

Renault’s are prolly up your street, they always have good NCAP results

Pieface

FWIW I had one as a hire car for a day. Not really that different to a Fiesta, but you could see more out the window. Why go for the Fusion over the Fiesta, is it a bit bigger?

Vauxhall Astras’ are alwasy a bargain too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Vauxhall Astras’ are alwasy a bargain too.

Get one without a steering wheel – I think they come as an optional accessory – seeing as they understeer so badly they are rather redundant…

hora
    Free Member

Also, a Smart forfour?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=650

177bhp Brabus….q car!

jockhaggis
    Free Member

OK, I’ll stick my head above the parapet and admit to having one as a company car until a year or so ago. I didn’t choose it as it was a hand-me-back from a previous employee which I had to take until the end of the lease.

It was a 1.6 TDCi Fusion 2 if that helps. CD player and air conditioning were the extent of the luxuries.

Pros.
    Great fuel economy, think I was getting around 58mpg with a mix of mainly town driving and a couple of 50 mile trips a week.
    Surprisingly big for carrying bikes etc. even had a full bathroom suite in it with the front passenger seat folded down.
    Had reasonable pull and was happy around town. Oh and as it was a Ford so it’s dead easy to drive.

Cons
    Uncomfortable on long journeys, felt knackered after a 5 hour drive.
    Engine a bit rattly and quite noisy on the motorway.
    Going round corners on country roads at fast speeds was a scary experience. Not really what it’s meant for though.

On the whole I thought it was not too bad a car. Would I spend my own money one… probably not, as the Fiesta isn’t really that much smaller and looks a little less odd.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a TDCI Ford Fusion?’ is closed to new replies.