Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone got a Tacx i-Magic Turbo trainer?
  • kevin1911

I’m tempted to get one, but was wondering if anyone who has got one or has tried one has any observations on how good they are, and how much hassle they are to set up and store.

Look forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks,
    Kevin

njee20
    Free Member

Yep I’ve got one, had it about 5 years.

It’s alright, it’s still a turbo though.

I used it a lot when I lived in a city centre, as anything under 2 hours was largely urban and not much fun. Now I’d just rather go outside, probably use it once a month on average in winter, and far less in summer (once in 2011). It’s no harder to store than a normal turbo, unless you have the steering frame (which is a big gimmick IMO). Set up is fine. The software is rubbish and Tacx aren’t amazing at sorting problems.

The feel isn’t too bad, when it ramps up the intensity it feels a bit rubbish, IMO trying to ride a constant power output (with the turbo altering the resistance) is pretty useless, it spikes really badly and doesn’t feel remotely realistic.

After playing around with the VR software I only ever tend to use the Catalyst real time interface thingummy with a pre-planned interval session.

Like I say, it’s ok, but it’s still a turbo, don’t expect it to make the experience much more interesting. I’d say that some Sufferfest videos would be better!

slowjo
    Free Member

Yes I have got one, had it for several years. Bear this in mind as there have been several hardware upgrades since I got mine.

Easy bits first. Storage is easy, they aren’t really any bigger than a normal turbo.

Set up is a bit of a faff the first time round but generally, once you have done it once, that’s it.

The rides on the standard software are ok but can get a bit dull after a while. If you go here http://www.virtualrealitycycling.com you can download other people’s rides and ride their courses, or even race against them, enter leagues etc all of which make it less of a dull experience.

I have trouble staying on a standard turbo for much more than 25 minutes; my standard sessions on the iMagic is one hour plus and I manage to work that hard I can hardly walk afterwards.

I love mine but would really like the upgraded brake mechanism however, I can’t afford it.

One thing though, I understand they don’t work on 64 bit machines. Check before you buy if this is going to be a problem.

djflexure

Had one and gave it away due to faff factor and general feel. Got a Kurt Kinetic now which is really much smoother and use it with my ordinary computer.

Waderider
    Free Member

This is not a direct answer but perhaps relevant.

I do computer repairs on the side, I got a computer with Windows Vista that the owner could not get to work with a Tacx VR Turbo. Top of the range about a year ago, whatever model that would be, big bucks.

Anyhow, I got it working in the main, so got to use it as my turbo for last winter – because I couldn’t resolve the occasional crash I just held on to it. I found it as dull to use as a regular turbo. The unreliable software seemed to me to be a common issue as I browsed the interwebs. I can also tell you Tacx are incredibly tight with the installation keys for the software, use the key once and you have to ring them to reactivate when reinstalling. Which is especially annoying when the software is only useful when you have the turbo, motor, dashboard etc. – better than a key surely?

On balance, buy a cheap turbo, put it in front of a television or computer and watch classic cycling films like A Sunday in Hell. Use the change to buy winter cycling kit and better lights.

hughjengin
    Free Member

I have had mine and used it pretty regularly for about 4-5 seasons too (Winter only) like njee if the weathers tolerable I’d rather ride.
    I partly agree with the above opinion and partly disagree.
    If you are thinking of it as something that simulates cycling in the real world then it’ll probably be a disappointment. If you think of it as a way to use the turbo with far less boredom then its great. I use certain videos of the rlv videos to replicate intervals (Tour of flanders springs to mind as the best at this, as it has fairly regulrly spaced hard hill efforts. The ergo videos are probably the best (Rabobank and training with the Schlecks) as they require you to keep up a wattage (so you cant just slow down too make life easier) it’ll just ramp up the resistance.
    I agree in part that the Virtual reality is a bit pants its probably the most visually impressive, and probably Tacx use it as a showpiece, but its not massively useful. For me the exception to this is the velodrome, where you dont have the annying effort spikes, and you can choose to pursue, sprint sessions, time trial efforts etc etc. For me its great training.
    The steering frame is essential to begin with for virtual reality, as otherwise you are limited to the courses and distances that are preset, when the frames attached you can go as far as you want. Without it I wouldnt have been able to do a 200 lap velodrome session. But totally agree that when you have all your saved routes you want then the steering frame is a pointless gimmick and mine is now packed away !
    Tacx becomes most useful when there is a group of you with them, so you can swap sessions and create ghost riders to chase (from your mates sessions)
    Totally agree with Njee’s opinion that Tacx are hopeless at sorting issues. And they seem to use the paying customer as beta testers.

kevin1911

OK thanks everyone – sounds like my initial concerns are justified. That Kurt Kinetic Rock’n’Roll looks like it might be worth looking into!

hughjengin
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Yep I’ve got one, had it about 5 years.

Njee, if you want to email me any sessions etc you’ve done, I am always keen to get some more data from decent riders to “ride” against and vice versa.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Tacx i-Magic Turbo trainer?’ is closed to new replies.