Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone got a tablet they use for work?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Im looking to get a tablet for work, as part of a BYOD thing.

I was looking at the Surface Pro 3, but its very expensive for what you get.

Ive been looking at lots of options,

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Dell Venue 11
    Sony Vaio tap 11
    Ipad Air
    Asus t100

Is there anything else i should be looking at? I want something i can carry with me, sit next to someone, take notes, write emails, sketch notes and quick drawings, but also use it at a desk for slightly longer lengths.

Others must do the same as me, a laptop is just a bit too much and doesnt feel as engaging as using a stylus and actually sketching wireframes and ideas etc.

Cheers

Ricks

hilldodger
    Free Member

I use a note 10.1 with a bluetooth keyboard for desk use, works ok for me – it’s the only tablet I’ve used so can’t offer a comparison.
    Stylus works fine and it recognises my handwriting pretty much 100% and is useful to be able to scribble down diagrams and take photos – both of which are essential for my use.

stumpy01

My wife has got a 13″ Lenovo Yoga for work and that sounds like it will do what you want…..I think.

It’s a 13″ laptop but you can flip the screen over and use it like a tablet. It’s Win 8.1, so touchscreen and you can use a stylus on it for sketching etc.

My Bro-in-Law has got a few year old Asus Transformer and that also sounds like something that would do the trick.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

I have a Galaxy Note for taking out on sites, which serves for phone/camera/notepad/email & internet access.

I also have a Surface Pro 3 128gb i5 and it’s a great bit of kit and worth the money IMO.

I considered an Android tablet and sticking Polaris or similar on it for Word/Exel etc, but decided that a PC would be better.

I bought my daughter an Asus T100A Transformer Book for Christmas and it seems a half decent bit of kit, but nowhere near the spec or flexibility of the Surface – of course, no stylus either.

lucien

Standard ipad and Bluetooth keyboard gets me through most things I need. Use docs to go and google drive to help with stuff and slide shark for pp stuff.

wilburt
    Free Member

I use an IPad through Citrix works fine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve been using an iPad at work for many years now, used for emails, document creation, reading and markup (via iAnotate) increasingly service providers are making custom apps

Kuco

We have iPads at work.

jamj1974

I use an iPad – for email, Safari, Word and PowerPoint and Penultimate mainly. It works well. Not tried any others in anger but played with a Surface which seemed very good.

soundb0y
    Free Member

Had a note 10.1 2014 for a while now and love it.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, the Note 10.1 2014 looks to tick all the boxes. The stylus really adds something for me, being able to sketch and note things without a whiteboard is a big bonus – and if the iPad had that feature it’d be a closer fit for me.

The only close contender is the Surface, or the Sony tap – but both are significantly more expensive.

For Galaxy owners…. do you use a Bluetooth Keyboard?

cranberry
    Free Member

Hold up, Note Pros are now half price- all the goodness of a Note 10.1, but with a 12.2″ screen. I have one and can recommend it. For £320 they are good value.

You can get bluetooth keyboard/cases for them as well from Logitech.

Flaperon

I have a Surface Pro 3. Other tablets are toys in comparison – yes, it’s expensive, but it’s actually reasonable value for money.

iPad or Galaxy Note won’t run Photoshop or Visual Studio and the 13 inch screen on the Surface makes a big difference. Windows 8.1 is actually fine on a tablet, and Windows 10 is only going to improve it.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Flaperon,

There is the Note 12.2, which is a 12.2″ inch screen on the NotePro – which is a bonkers 2560 x 1600.

I don’t need to run anything too intensive like Photoshop, or actually code (I’ve left my software days behind me, and now my IT colleagues poke me that I just need Word, Excel and Powerpoin – which isn’t far from the truth at all).

I guess it’s whether I need a desktop, in a tablet. Or whether I need a tablet…

I’m leaning towards a tablet, as I have a laptop with Win7, and a home laptop with win8.1 – so I’m very close to going for a Note 10 2014, but still not sure whether I want the extra 12.2″ retail space, or if that’s going to feel too cumbersome day to day, sitting with people.

cranberry
    Free Member

Go large or go home!

🙂

The extra size of the Note Pro is definitely worth it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a tablet they use for work?’ is closed to new replies.