Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Anyone Got a Skoda Superb?
  • wombat

May be getting one and would like a bit of 1st hand opinion on them as general family & biking workhorses

andy4d

No, sorry, but I fancy a yeti…..

Jezkidd
    Free Member

My dad has, fantastic car, much mych better than the merc it replaced. It’d be high on my list

hot_fiat

Yep, my dad has one too. As it says on the boot, superb!

170 tdi dsg we get about 50 mpg on a very long run. Interior space is vast – you can get a washing machine in the boot with the seats up!

Electric seats are much more comfy than the manuals as you can tilt the base. Avoid either the columbus or Amundsen sat nav as a £100 Tom tom is far better. Columbus +DAB is supposedly an improvement , but the price is bonkers.

3.6 v6 4×4 looks interesting. Could be quite the autobahn destroyer.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I looked at one but found as I make a lot of calls from the car that it wasn’t as well sound insultated and people couldnt hear me that well. Otherwise a great car and would have gone for it

Smudger666

Had one – 59 plate – for three years, not a bad thing to say about it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

This is good to hear, I’m seriously considering a Superb estate next year, as long as 3 kids and 2 dogs fit! I would be looking to put a 5yr olds car seat in the middle, giving the two older kids the outer seats with the legroom. Any thoughts?

droppinneutron
    Free Member

On my second Superb-brilliant family car and bikemobile. When I started new job they gave a budget of £32k and wanted me to have a bmw or audi-I have had 3 of each and I really didn’t like any of them so I went for another Superb instead. I have the Greenline and it just goes and goes your hardly ever filling the thing up.

As said above the leather electric seats are a lot more plush and you do want the top died sat nav – I have the elegance model which has everything you would need.

Duffer
    Free Member

There is one very important reason we didn’t buy the Superb; the Octavia. Clearly not as plush, but it’s 90% of the size and about 60% of the price (when we got ours, the 170tdi Suberb was about 28k while our Octavia vRS 170tdi was 17k).

They are both lovely, but the Superb just couldn’t be justified for us.

wombat

Thanks for the quick replies.

My only concern is that as the rear seats don’t fold completely flat the boot space may be compromised for carrying a bike inside but I guess I’ll find a way of making it work.

wombat

Duffer I’m looking at a used one so list prics isn’t an issue.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I have a Superb Saloon , and my business partner has the estate… Both 170 HP automatics averaging around 52-54 mpg all round business use, but on a steady motorway run 60mpg easily achievable.

The saloon has the really useful double boot system which is worth checking out as its really clever. The boot can open as a normal boot, or press a button and its a hatchback.

Opening as a hatchback my bike can lay in complete without even taking the wheels off

Headlights are brilliant …. So much better than the VW Passat we also have

As for space ….. Just lots of it !

Overall very very difficult to fault!

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Got a Greenline Elegance on a 13 plate. Comfortable, plenty fast enough, cavernous and ‘real’ average MPG of 58….. Not a bad thing to say…..

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Pretty sure the seats do go flat if you lift the seat but first you know.

I would also consider the Octavia as said above the boot is the same size you just lose the rear leg room (and it’s not as comfy on long journeys to be honest). Agreed about the headlights they are the best I have had in any car.

If only the rear window lifted up like on a bmw I had…

matt_outandabout

Had we not had three larger and growing kids, I would have bought one a few months back. Lots of space, really nice place to be, surprising value second hand. BUT, the middle seat is still an ‘afterthought’ seat, with a big bulky console at foot level.
    It is the same width and length (within a couple of mm) as the Galaxy that we bought eventually, so why not the full size middle seat?

renton
    Free Member

I was looking at an octavia but the rear leg room is really not a lot so am now considering a Superb. Havent seen a bad word about them to be honest.

Im on the lookout for a 11 -13 plate elegance estate with the 170 bhp diesel.

Drac

My brother has one he claims false advertising, hates it.

Says it’s crap build quality, doesn’t like the 1.6 Diesel engine, finds it small.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Small? Compared to what? Build quality comparable to bmw and audi so what’s not to like

Flaperon

My dad has a two-year-old Superb Estate. He’s very happy with it – swallows huge loads, DSG gearbox is superb, comfy, fuel economy exceeding 60 mpg on a long run.

He had it chipped to 170 bhp and it goes like the proverbial off a shovel.

No problems except a minor issue of the car jerking forward slightly when starting the engine with the gearbox in Park. Dealer spent much time and effort troubleshooting and eventually replaced the gearbox.

This didn’t fix it, but replacing the battery did (his first suggestion to them!). Would recommend.

konabunny
    Free Member

When I started new job they gave a budget of £32k and wanted me to have a bmw or audi-I have had 3 of each

Eff me where did I go wrong?

mrhoppy

I looked at one but went with the new Octavia in the end as it has virtually the same boot space (only a few L less) but fits it into a much smaller vehicle with far better efficiency and lower tax. It does that at the expense of rear leg room but I can comfortably sit in the back with a 6′ plus driver infront of me so it’s kind of a diminishing benefit.

wombat,

As you looking at used, also have a look at the Mazda 6 estate. Just a thought, as back folds nearly flat and swallows 2 29″ FS easily (fornt wheel off)

Drac

Small? Compared to what? Build quality comparable to bmw and audi so what’s not to like

You best ask him. It’s really not.

OH ****! Just realised his is a Fabia. 😳

matt_outandabout

Small? Compared to what?

Overall outside dimensions are the same as this. I am fairly confident we have more inside space… 😉
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/pGFcMR]IMAG1395[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Smudger666

The legroom in the back of he superb is unbelievable until you actually see it – we had the saloon and it took family with two teenagers camping with no trailer/roof box needed.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

That’s a minibus of course it’s bigger!

steffybhoy
    Free Member

From central scotland, I took an ’02 plate superb’ to disneyland then the alps, then spain and home again. Pulls like a train.

As said before, leg room in front and back is amazing.

19ninety
    Free Member

My family and bike bus is 8 year old Octavia estate TDi140 DSG, replacing a BMW 530d touring. The Skoda is cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain, has more room inside (leg room – I’m 6’2″ – and load capacity wise) and is just fast for normal driving.

Skoda is affordable VW. I cant really fault my Octavia, the boot space is HUGE, theres a load of places to store stuff too. The build quality is great compared to Ford, Vauxhall, and other similar classed cars. The Skoda’s wear a hell of a lot better over all too, mines heading to 120k and the interior (seats, doors cards, steering wheel, etc) doesnt have any signs of high mileage/use wear. Mechanically it still sound too. The over all build quality is fantastic. Plenty of car park dents and bodywork wear & tear though as its a work horse.

The newer Skoda’s are even better too, shame I couldnt afford a newer Superb Estate or thats what I would have bought … my older Octavia is great though, I wont be buying anything but Skoda in the future!!

Camping this year, 6 man tent + porch, double air bed, all the usual camping stuff, twin stove etc, table, chairs, 2 weeks worth of stuff for two people + toddler, proper bedding and so on. Bike rack on the back, roof box for bedding and camp chairs, toddler in one back seat and still enough room for a few holiday purchases and a gruffalo camp bed 😆

The newer Skoda’s are even better build quality. The Superb’s have a huge leg room to, both front and certainly in the rear … just look how long the rear doors are.

Pembo
    Free Member

I’ve had mine 2.5 years now and the only complaint I have is the seats aren’t that comfortable, especially on long journeys. If you check out the Skoda forums this seems a common issue. When the stock tyres were replaced I went for some low Db tyres and it made a massive difference to the cabin noise and refinement. Other than that it hasn’t missed a beat, and I confirm the seats fold flat by flipping up the bit where you sit on, then dropping the seat back, but you don’t have to do the first part.

Coleman
    Free Member

“My only concern is that as the rear seats don’t fold completely flat the boot space may be compromised for carrying a bike inside but I guess I’ll find a way of making it work.”

Don’t think you’ll have too much trouble getting a bike in. Plus rear legroom is obscene, even with tall bods in the front!

droppinneutron
    Free Member

The leather seats are a lot nicer on long journeys than the pretend suede/leather ones i had in the last superb i had

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Old one in Chatel

[/url]The Mighty Skod by droppin-neutron, on Flickr [/url]IMG_4492 by droppin-neutron, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

That’s a minibus of course it’s bigger!

Galaxy: 4.81m x 1.52m
    Superb: 4.83m x 1.54m

Yes it is taller, but as ever it shows how much space is wasted in so many large saloons and estates. The Galaxy boot alone has an extra 60cm on the Superb estate in length.
    I am sure if I was ‘making progress’ and climbing the ‘corporate tree’ then the Skoda would be the better vehicle. But for everything else, a people carrier/taller car makes so much sense.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

I worked for an Austrian company and there is some weird tax benefit over there for having a seven seater car so all the guys out there had them for that reason but actually liked them a lot too. They do feel a lot bigger inside than my car thats true. If i had more than two kids i would definitely have a 7 seater, and probably a galaxy, but i prefer the ‘car’ feel of an estate over the minibus to be honest.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

only other thing is i like carrying my bikes on the roof and its a long way up there on a people carrier

matt_outandabout

We have a solution to that – and I wish we had done it years ago.
    The kids now help me load, instead of me wobbling around on steps or standing on car wheels etc.
    And the boot is big enough with the middle seats in the slid forward position to take all five bikes with wheels off anyway.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qjYDS6]Thule Bike carrier[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

csb

Got a 2011 estate 1.4 petrol one. Lovely inside even at basic spec, very refined, accelerates ok, cruises at 80, carries a load of stuff.

Width is a major problem – can’t have 2 kids seat plus an adult in the back. Can just about get one kids seat and 2 adults in if you squeeze.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

I have the Thule rear carrier as well (its in my pics) and i really like using it, but i keep the roof bars on the car all the time so i don’t have to faff about putting it o, and also you just can’t open the boot on mine even with it tilted – when i had a 3 series BMW, that was perfect because the window of the boot could lift up. I really was hoping that on the new Superb they would have added this as an extra given that the saloon boot is so clever but they didn’t

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Test drove one recently, wasn’t that impressed. Lots of road noise and not very refined. Felt cheap inside even on one of the higher spec’d models. Under steered like the barge that it is.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Oops

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Got a Skoda Superb?’ is closed to new replies.