Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone got a Samsung S7 edge?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s upgrade time, I’m liking the waterproofing and camera on this phone, but never had a big huge phone before. Is it too big?

Cheers.

tomd
    Free Member

Nobeer I’ve got the S6 at the moment, need to give it back to work soon and will be buying a Sony Z5 compact (which is the only high end waterproof phone out at the moment) purely on the basis of size. I used to have the S5 mini before the S6 and the size of the S6 pisses me off. I’d buy an S7 mini if they made one right now, because generally I preferred the function of the S5 and S6 over the my previous Sony Z1.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheers Tom. You still in Edinburgh?.

johnnystorm

Yep.

I’ve gone from iPhone4s > Samsung S4 Active > OnePlus One > Xperia Z2 and now the S7 Edge.

Wouldn’t go back to a smaller phone now. The Edge hides it’s size well as the screen has very little wasted bezel like on an iPhone and it’s pretty thin.

As a phone it’s great, fast to boot up, good battery life and the camera takes great pictures and very fast to focus and actually take the pic.

Samsung do seem to have calmed down on buggering around with the OS. I got mine from http://www.very.co.uk as they have 20% off for new account holders and a generous quidco cashback rate.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have an S6. It’s not too big for me no, cos it’s thin and light. It sits in my pocket better than my small phones ever used to.

When I upgrade I go into the EE shop and make the assitant get one out of a box so I can handle it and put it in my pocket. I make sure I warn them that I’m going to do that though 🙂

callmetc
    Free Member

it’s smaller than my s6 edge plus.

and I’m sat here wishing my screen was a bit bigger.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Interesting. I’m stuck between the S7 and the S7 edge at present.

johnnystorm

I’ll be honest and say that the edge feature, which is apparently more useful than it was on the s6, doesn’t do a lot for me really. By the time I’ve remembered it’s there I’ve found what I was looking for via a normal icon! I wouldn’t say it was an essential. I have only had it a couple of weeks though……

clipper247
    Free Member

I picked mine up 2 days ago, coming from a Galaxy S5. It’s not that much bigger, but still fits in the pocket nicely.
    I haven’t had a chance to really get to grips with it yet, but I’m impressed so far

wrightyson
    Free Member

Never thought I’d get on with the size of my s6 but love it now. Quality phone. One thing I did buy was a decent spigen case so it would survive builder land. Far more impressed with it than my Z3 compact which is not at all robust.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Samsung S5 Neo. Waterproof, dustproof and class-leading battery life.
    And you can pick ’em up for buttons, relatively speaking. As big as a phone can feasibly be and still call itself a phone IMO.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Got the s7 edge from mobiles.co.uk. Great phone, don’t really use the edge functionality but as im 6’4″ I have big spaz hands so enjoy a bigger phone.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve had one for a couple of weeks after using the same offer as johnnystorm.

First Android phone I’ve had after using iPhones for years and so far I’m really impressed with it. The phone is much nicer to use than the iPhone 6 I had previously. I’ll probably stick with android phones from now on.
    The Edge thing seems a bit of a gimmick as I’ve never used it.

Size-wise it’s not actually too bad. Took a little getting used to at first but seems a perfect size for what I want it for.

molgrips
    Free Member

I opted against the edge with my S6, on the basis that it would be harder for the case to protect the screen. Not sure that’s actually justified, but the non-edge was also cheaper and I thought I didn’t need that gimmick.

TBH I think I’d have preferred the Sony in use, but I wanted wireless charging.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I’m swaying toward the S7, edge does look a bit of a gimmick. What wireless charger do you use Molgrips?

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought a cheapo one from ebay – works, although my wife complains of a whine. Me too, but not from the charger 😉 (that’s a joke in case you are reading!)

I’m more interested in the car one tbh – I can wire the thing in discretely and then pop the phone in and out easily without faffing with wires. Haven’t shelled out for one yet though but I wish I had.

loddrik
    Free Member

Had an S6 Edge for a bit, the edge screen was utterly pointless and was a pain on the arse as it just reflected the light terrible when outdoors leaving the edge sections unviewable.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m more interested in the car one tbh – I can wire the thing in discretely and then pop the phone in and out easily without faffing with wires. Haven’t shelled out for one yet though but I wish I had.

Where do you get wireless in car chargers from? That would be great!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Yup, by far the best mobile I’ve ever had which is unsurprising as

1/ It’s by far the most expensive phone I’ve ever used

2/ It’s brand new.

Edge thing is a gimmick/design feature, I’m sure you can “teach” yourself to use it, but unsure if it offers any advantage over the regular way of launching apps, phoning contacts etc. But it does feel lovely in the hand. The clock on the edge feature is useful as a bedside clock and looks very cool.

The biggest draw back to older Samsung phones was always the turd that was TouchWiz, but this has been ultra polished now and Googles help seems to have eliminated the jag and lag, add in Nova launcher and it almost reaches Nexus levels of clean – if that’s an actual thing. In fact don’t miss the Nexus experience at all.

Battery life is fantastic. Screen is stunning, absolutely no problem using it even in bright sunlight.

wrt being too big although it’s a 5.5″ screen it’s also fairly narrow.

The Gear VR thing is also a window on the future, no hyperbole.

molgrips
    Free Member

Where do you get wireless in car chargers from?

Samsung, or China.. look on Amazon!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

S7 ordered, decided I don’t really need edge feature.

If anyone’s looking for a 2 year old iPhone 5S, gimme a shout!.

huckersneck
    Free Member

tomd, Sony do not advise the Z5 as waterproof anymore! The fragility of the screens is also something I’ve seen questioned?

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/don-t-take-your-waterproof-xperia-z5-underwater-says-sony-1304163

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-z5/

* The Xperia Z5 is waterproof and protected against dust, so don’t worry if you get caught in the rain or want to wash off dirt under a tap, but remember: all ports and attached covers should be firmly closed. You should not put the device completely underwater or expose it to seawater, salt water, chlorinated water or liquids such as drinks. Abuse and improper use of device will invalidate warranty. The device has Ingress Protection rating IP65/68. For more info see http://www.sonymobile.com/waterproof. Note the Xperia™ has a capless USB port to connect and charge. The USB port needs to be completely dry before charging.

spacemonkey

S6 owner here. Generally v impressed but peed off with 2 things; occasionally reboots itself (I often have a ton of apps and tabs open though) + camera is blurry on anything in motion (excellent on anything still).

As others have said, Samsung have finally removed a load of their bloatware so that’s a plus.

I still dislike native Android so I’ve always used Nova launcher and MIUI icon packs to make it more iOS-like.

My Nexus 5 lasted 3 years and was bullet-proof, let down only by a shocking camera.

Re the Edge, it seems very Marmite according to reviews.

molgrips
    Free Member

(I often have a ton of apps and tabs open though)

That doesn’t matter. Android is made differently to desktop computer OSes. Opening an app or a screen of an app creates a new ‘view’, these will all sit in memory (doing nothing) until its full then the oldest ones will automatically be deleted. They are what you can view when you press that other button opposite the back button. It’s not like Windows where opening loads of stuff will slow it down as it swaps memory to disk.

gonzy
    Free Member

I opted against the edge with my S6, on the basis that it would be harder for the case to protect the screen. Not sure that’s actually justified, but the non-edge was also cheaper and I thought I didn’t need that gimmick.

exactly the same reason me and the wife upgraded to the S6 when our contracts expired in November. before that we both had the S4.
    kind of kicking myself for not waiting a bit longer before upgrading then we both could have got the S7 instead.
    for me the only downside for the S6 is the lack of expandable memory and that its not waterproof.
    size wise the “6 is a very good size and the weight is well balanced…so i would imagine the S7 to be the same

as for Sony phones…i had an Xperia arc s which was a beautiful phone (bravia engine hd screen)…took good pictures and did a lot of other stuff really well…sadly it was let down by the abysmal tech support from Sony themselves
    a mates got the new sony z5 and he says that tech support is still poor from sony

mattyfez

I’m eagerly awaiting the HTC 10, should be in the shops by the time I can upgrade next month!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

S7 arrived yesterday, it’ll take me a little while to get used to Android after years of iOS, but initial thoughts are that it’s very impressive. Camera really, really good in lowlight, not tried it outside at dusk, but will tomorrow night.

It’s not as big as I feared either.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Samsung S7 edge?’ is closed to new replies.