• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by AD.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Anyone got a Ridgeback MX16 or Specialized Hotrock 16?
  • oscar3769
    Free Member

Looking for a reasonably light bike for my daughter who is 6, I bought one off fleabay and it weighs a metric tonne and a tad too big, didnt realise it was 18′ wheels not 16′ der!!!! Anyway if anyone has something like the above I would like her to start riding properly.
    Many thanks

longj
    Free Member

I don’t know about the ridgeback but the hotrock is still quite heavy. to be honest the front forks are quite useless for little ones. they just about compress if I ride it. my first choice would have been the isla but for the £. having said that my daughter likes it and gets on with it fine.

brassneck

I have an older HotRock 16, seen 2 boys off without skipping a beat.
    Ours was rigid forked with coaster brake, maybe worth looking out for? Small people stop better with coasters as their legs are more powerful than their hands. There are counter arguments about re learning braking when they move on, but it’s not been an issue.

Rigid v Suss for that age is difficult – I’ve found that if they have suspension ‘like the grown ups bikes’ they ride them more, which is well worth a few extra grammes. I even ride a fully rigid bike with them, but they still want bouncy forks. And motorbike noises ofc.

AD

My son has an MX16 – it’s a great little bike and he loves it but it ain’t light… Out of curiosity I just weighed it – 20lbs! Oh well – it’ll make him stronger in the long run 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Ridgeback MX16 or Specialized Hotrock 16?’ is closed to new replies.