• This topic has 48 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by irc.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone got a pug?
  • tonyg2003

Border Terrier (2yr old) and Patter(devil)dale here. I wouldn’t get a Pug or French Bulldog. As discussed here they have far too many health complications. Our previous BTs lived to 15/16yrs without too many problems, just old age caught them up.

franksinatra

Because Pugs have a relatively small gene pool the breed is known to suffer from quite a few hereditary health issues some of which are quite serious. These include the following:

Eye Disorders

Cataracts

Distichiasis

Entropion

Exporsure keratopahty syndrome

Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (Dry eye)

Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA)

Pannus

Pigmentary Keratitis

Corneal ulcer

Muzzle Problems

Elongated Soft Palate (ES)

Stenotic Nares

Intestinal Issues

Intussusception – male dogs under the age of 18 months

Leg Problems

Luxating Patella

Neurological Health Issues

Pug Dog Encephalitis (PDE)

Would you seriously even consider this when there are other breeds, and mutts around who that are know to be pretty much issue free? Sure, every dog is a gamble but consider the balance of risk.

From the same site Pets4Homes, on Parson Jack Russell breed info page

In good health, the Parsons Terrier can live up to 20 years of age, but usually average around 15-16 years old. Like the Jack Russell, it is a hardy and healthy breed of dog, and has very few congenital defects; however, pure white dogs can be prone to deafness

That is it, nothing else. No list of known problems.

Scapegoat

Another attempt to push you towards a working strain Labrador. Ours is just under 20kg at 8 months. Great family dogs, trainable intelligent and loyal. Avoid the biscuit fed hearthrug show strain monsters though, they take up a fair part of the sofa.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    willard

No, you are all wrong. The best breed in the world is the Spaniel. If size is an issue and you can’t persuade people to buy the [king of dogs] Springer Spaniel (the king of dogs], then consider a working cocker. I’m prepared to admit they are fine dogs, possibly the prince of dogs.

But springers are better.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They say folk look like their dogs – you decide!

Friends have two – not a fan personnally but each to their own….

franksinatra

No, you are all wrong. The best breed in the world is the Spaniel. If size is an issue and you can’t persuade people to buy the [king of dogs] Springer Spaniel (the king of dogs], then consider a working cocker. I’m prepared to admit they are fine dogs, possibly the prince of dogs.

Hence the reason why a we got a Sprocker.

beefheart
    Free Member

What’s not to like?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If you have daughters, just bring home a fluffy apricot cockapoo…..they’ll soon quit entertaining the deranged notion of buying a pug.

Had working springers all my life, yes they are de rigueur on the gun line but quite frankly most of them are bat **** insane, have a hint of wolf left in them and consequently need taking charge of in a very firm manner.

Where as the cockapoo is an attention whore obsessed with everyone loving her, so she listens to everything you say and gets very upset and tries to make up with you if she gets reprimanded.

irc

As far as a dog goes, you may as well get a cat.

LOL!

Not a pug. We’ve a standard poodle but at 20kg (and small for a standard) maybe too big for OP.

What about a miniature poodle? 12-14kg apparently. My standard is the best dog I’ve ever had. Brilliant temperament. Needs exercise but does OK on a couple of 30 – 40 min walks a day. Can also do several days hillwalking back to back.

Downsides – needs cut every 8 weeks. Chases small animals including cats. Though gets on fine with our two cats. Needs to be on a lead near the road.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a pug?’ is closed to new replies.