• This topic has 48 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone got a pug?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I realise that I just asked about labs but the wife has said in no uncertain terms.that it’s far too big. She and the girls all want a pug. I don’t particularly. Anyone have experience of them?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ah onto fashion dogs. My daughters used to dog sit a friends had one and it was delightful. However, you will need a coloured neckerchief, fancy lead and fake diamond studded colar and a designer handbag to carry it round when when it gets tired. (Edit: we used to see a lot around Chelsea, does that tell you what you need to know ?)

OP if Lab is too big get them onto a Spaniel

martinhutch

Get her to read up a bit and ask whether she wants any part of encouraging those sort of breeding practices. The ‘cute’ looks may well mean a lot of suffering for the dog.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/pets-health/10508781/Ban-unhealthy-dog-breeds-say-vets.html

bails

A friend’s parents have one. It’s a short, fat, shuffling, wheezing, snorting, snoring thing. And as above, we were ambling round today and it had to be picked up and carried.

I wouldn’t get one in a million years, personally. I’d much rather have something like a border terrier or a cocker spaniel of they’re not too big.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Get a trailer too. There’s a couple who live local that usually carry their Pug to the park as it doesn’t even want to walk 100m.

oldnpastit

but the wife has said in no uncertain terms.that it’s far too big

I have a working labrador (well, working lab/springer cross). He’s not big at all. He’s just a touch under 20kg. Slightly mad, but totally awesome.

A friend of my wife’s has one of those stupid overly-inbred dogs (French bulldog?) which has had £1,500 worth of vet’s bills to sort out it’s breathing problems. Apparently pet insurance doesn’t cover genetic deformities….

ebennett

We look after our neighbours occasionally and they’re hilarious wee buggers. However, they also lick everything, shed all over the place and one of them eats poo constantly. Which doesn’t go well with the licking. They’re alright on walks actually, we’ve had them up hills in the Peak and they were quite happy with it. Wouldn’t have one personally but can see the appeal!

mrsfry
    Free Member

Noooooooo

Google is your mate when looking up for problems that you may have to contend with when it comes to pets. Not saying this is for all Pugs or Sellers, but the breathing problems and the eye problems alone shows it’s a breed that should not be continued. You also have to trust that the seller has a clue about the breed and genetic problems.

If buying this breed, don’t rely on the pet insurance to keep on paying the vet fees

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

French Bulldog instead?
    But . . .
    We’ve just got a border terrier they are awesome!

bobgarrod
    Free Member

An ex’s parents had a pair – wheezing, shuffling, dribbling shit machines.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

An old chap I often meet out with the dogs has one. She’s the same age as my two terriers, who, at 9 years old, are just approaching middle age but don’t show any sign of slowing up, yet she’s absolutely knackered. Her breathing is laboured but is apparently all right as she had “the operation” that most pugs need just to breathe.
    Now her spine is fubarred (another pug ailment) and the supervet has declined to operate, despite money being no object.
    Poor little bugger. French Bulldogs suffer more though.
    Please don’t get one. Get a Border Terrier, Fell or Patterdale. Fantastic little dogs.

mrsfry
    Free Member

What about crossbreeds. Dogs homes are full of them. Better life expectancy and less chance of having ‘Pedigree’ genetic disorders.

Muts need love too

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Why not a jack rusell? I like mutt as well, i cannot afford it at the moment though.

myti
    Free Member

Nooooo..don’t get a pug my working stock lab is 20kg she’s lovely and small but big enough to give a hug.

Drac

Well they’re a bit shit.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrap6ewde4o[/video]

voodoo_chile

Labrador staff x here ;one the best dogs ever not at all angry ,playful and obedient those pugs can be a nightmare …get a rescue dog !

Drac

We’ve just got a border terrier they are awesome!

STW points.

alexb17
    Free Member

I have a pug. She is quite simply the most brilliant little thing ever. There is not a day that goes by that she doesn’t make us laugh. She is just as happy doing a 9 mile walk (we got lost) or snoozing on the sofa. She plays like a proper dog and has a habit of eating anything that’s going. When it gets hot we do need to be careful and only take her for walks in the morning when it’s cooler and making sure we always have water with us for her to drink. She has her own Instagram account if you want to see pictures. Search for megthebathpug.

It is essential that proper research is done and that you get a pug from a responsible kennel club assured breeder. There are a large number of breeders out there who don’t care and will flog a poorly bred animal (regardless of breed) for a quick quid. It is equally important that when you finally do give in and get one that you are very carful of their diet and don’t give in when they turn those big brown eyes on you. I have seen loads of overweight pugs which exacerbates any breathing problems so it’s on the owner to make sure their pug doesn’t get overweight.

Lastly, if you really can’t see past the breathing issues, look at a puggle (pug crossed with a beagle).

jambalaya
    Free Member

megthebathpug

Nice photos 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I. Love. Pugs.

w.a.n.t. 😛

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Friend of a friend has 2. She’s married to both.

As far as a dog goes, you may as well get a cat.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A very good friend is a vet. He has plenty to say on the breeds with squashed up faces and how he feels about them when pushed. Notwithstanding, they bring him plenty of business of course…

It’s a pity really, because all of the pugs I know from the local park, etc are to a dog, really great little dogs – temperament-wise. Always good natured and ours always gets on with and plays with a few of them. i just always wish they were “healthier”.

(Btw, all the ones I know quite happily walk normally and don’t have to be carried to and from the park…though it’s no surprise to hear of ones that don’t/aren’t.)

demonracer

My cousin has one, it’s a lovely little dog, great with kids and other dogs but has had to have a couple of operations so she can breath properly. Have your wife and children considered a Chihuahua? My dad has one and it’s also a great little dog. If you treat them like a proper dog they will act like a real dog rather than a toy, his will happily play fetch and would walk all day if you let her.

jools182
    Free Member

Pugs are great little characters

I know that ethically speaking the breed is cruel due to breathing, eye and back problems, but pedigrees in general have problems (German Shepherd back legs, English Bull terriers kidney pproblem etc)

They seem to be very cheeky and entertaining (or frustrating, depending on how you look at it)

The neighbours pug had about 10 of us out a few months ago trying to catch it. Traffic was at a standstill while he mocked us 😀

petefromearth

Our dog is a fell terrier and he goes nuts when he sees a pug, boxer, French bulldog or any dog that’s a bit funny looking. Mainly the shorter snouted breeds.

They are often quite feisty in return so I’ve had to break up a few scuffles. One pug owner told me it happens to them regularly. She said it’s the facial expression that other dogs can’t read and might think is a frown. That and the weird breathing i think freaks ours out.

I’m sure they make great companions. Wouldn’t have one myself. Most pug owners I know are constantly doting over them, taking amusing photos, dressing them up… it’s a certain type of owner…

Anyway if you’re a pug then steer clear of this guy:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BEyoi8AINme/

slimjim78
    Free Member

It’s a breed that is fraught with deformities and abnormalities – do not fall for the cuteness as others have done, it’s simply cruel to keep on encouraging the breed.

We rehomed a Jack Russell (possibly Parsons Russell) a couple of months ago and he’s turning out to be a perfect companion. Occasionally playful, ever ready for walks, very quiet (hardly ever yaps), loving, comical, easy to train and perfect compact size, can take him anywhere and he just blends in. Am taken by this breed now.

DezB
    Free Member

She said it’s the facial expression that other dogs can’t read

Thats brilliant! Dogs reading other dog’s facial expressions! Never heard that before! 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pretty well known and studied DebZ.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Toby thinks DezB needs to study more

v8ninety

Dogs can (very obviously) read human facial expressions and body language too; and their ability to communicate with humans on a sub verbal level is probably what makes them such excellent companions.

alexb17
    Free Member

Never had a problem with other dogs and our pug. If anything other dogs come over, have a sniff, and decide she’s not a real dog and run off.

DezB
    Free Member

(very obviously)
    Glad you added that. 😉

andeh

My ex used to have a pug. It really struggled to breathe and was pretty much useless at everything you would want a dog to be good at. I felt quite sorry for it. From what I gather it died very early, 6 I think. She originally bought it with the intention of studding it out, to offset the cool £1k she dropped on it, but that was scuppered when it had medical issues and had to have its nads chopped off.

It was very loyal though, and was quite cuddly. May as well get a stuffed toy pug and a proper dog.

kayak23

A friend has one. He(the pug) also has his own social media accounts such as seems to be the thing with these types of pets.
    d’s ß
    It does I believe get more health issues appear than many other breeds.
    This one was a rescue dog. Fairly rare in this breed I think.

Really full of character these dogs, but as many say above, it doesn’t seem right to breed such difficulties in.

Brilliant going up stairs though
    [video]http://youtu.be/iVc-Z8yFYW8[/video]

Duffer
    Free Member

Another vote for a terrier here!

As working breeds, they tend to have very few health problems relative to other breeds. They also tend to live longer.

Our JRT is only the size of a cat, but she can play and run all day. They’re also very intelligent and readily trainable.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

OP we have had a Cockerpoo for just over a year now, got him as a companion dog for our boy with ASD, been really good with both of mine (4 and 5) cracking dog! Easily trained as well!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C57jbj]DSCF5446[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

cinnamon_girl

Love the vids of pugs on stairs, proper lol 😆

ThePilot
    Free Member

OP, how about getting an older dog? It seems from your post that no one is quite sure what kind of dog you want and what type would fit best into your lives and by getting an older dog you’re only making a commitment for a few years as well as giving a dog that is possibly harder to home a home.

As I’m sure you know children often like the idea of a dog but not the reality and the care is left to the parents. And with everyone having busy lives, providing proper care for a dog can often come last in a long to-do list.

I just got an oldie. An 11 year old Parson’s Russell Terrier. She’s only been with me for two and a half weeks but has settled in amazing well. Loads of energy, super clever, very affectionate, full of character. She does need quite a bit of exercise though so maybe not right for a busy family but an oldie of some sort might be the way to go.

Have a look here:
    http://www.oldies.org.uk/category/adopt-an-oldie

jimwah
    Free Member

Do your research, with a family and other commitments I’d be looking at small, cross-breed, low-energy dog. We’ve got a spaniel, he wakes up at 6am and needs approx 90mins of exercise a day. His favourite thing is rolling in crap, which then necessitates a bath (his second favourite thing). Don’t get me wrong, I love that dog, but I haven’t had a lie in for 5yrs and my car usually smells like fox excrement.

franksinatra

It would be interesting to know what it is about a pug that you Mrs like so much? Is it size, characterful face, fashion etc?

I know it is a STW cliche but a Border Terrier certainly fits the first two requirements. Living in the borders I know loads of BT’s and they are all cracking dogs, very hardy a seldom and seen at the vets. Seem to have the right combination of run or sleep all day, happy either way.

We recently got a spaniel, she has been with us for 4 weeks now and is 100% awesome.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a pug?’ is closed to new replies.