Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone got a Passat Estate 2005?2011 – connection to Ipod?
  • jekkyl

Thinking about buying one of these. Does it have an Aux port for your generic music device? or would I have to suffer one of those horrible FM transmitters?
    Do you reckon it’d be easy to replace the stereo if it doesn’t have an aux hole?
    Would you generally recommend one?

bigblackshed

I’ve got a 58 plate Passat. Highline spec. It has an AUX port in the arm rest / centre console. It’s OK quality, I can hear a big difference between ipod and CD.

You can buy the ipod connection module, it fits in the upper part of the glovebox. OK if you have a classic or nano iPod, the head unit will connect and control. Or the bluetooth module, not sure where that fits, that will connect to your phone, control music and allow you to receive calls.

Both are in the region of £120 plus fitting. Typical VW pricing.

You might get lucky and find a car with them already fitted. I looked at 8 cars, none had them.

Stoner
    Free Member

just popped outside to our 60 plate passat.

in the glovebox there is a tab to pull down a “media” drawer.

There’s a funky looking port, and two cables. 1 is a USB female, the other looks like an appleish male (I have no idea, apple fanboi I aint)

here’s a photo.

In the armrest/centre console there is also one of these marked “Aux In” (phono) nestled amongst Mrs Stoner’s crap.

The stereo also has a bluetooth capability.

Amongst that lot, you should be able to sort out your ipod thing.

Wait till you have to program the DAB radio though….

jekkyl

Thanks lads, that’s really useful. Cheers for going to the trouble of posting pics as well Stoner. Looks like I’m buying a new car tomorrow.

ratherbeintobago

You can buy the ipod connection module, it fits in the upper part of the glovebox. OK if you have a classic or nano iPod, the head unit will connect and control.

Allegedly. I had one in a 2006 Golf and it wasn’t terribly reliable.

Drac

I have one of those cables if you want it. Stumbled across it the other day.

garage-dweller

From some point in that range there was the cubby hole in the glove box that stoner describes.

My current car (2012) has it. Head unit control is really good (by which I mean you don’t need to get the iPod out of the glove box) BUT it’s much better to set a play list or album playing before you drive off. The screen location and menus would take a bit too much eyes off the road time to use in motion certainly on my iPod/head unit combo.

The only minor issue I have is it intermittently forgets between ignition off and ignition on what was last playing and goes back to playing all songs alphabetically. No big deal but an arse if for example it happens when you turned the radio off to park in the services and then switch on again after you’re back on the motorway.

jamj1974

If it’s the same cable as the Audi one – most welcome to mine. Don’t need it for current car.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Passat Estate 2005?2011 – connection to Ipod?’ is closed to new replies.