Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone got a Nexus 7?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’m considering getting one – anyone got one? Happy with it?

I’d love one with microSD and HDMI but at the price, that doesn’t seem to be an option.

bails

You can get a cable that allows you to connect a USB stick, so probably an SD card too for a few quid.

julians
    Free Member

got my dad one for his birthday.

He loves it, and he not very computer literate so it must be ok.

Downsides:-

No rear facing camera
    no sd card slot

upsides:-

powerful
    cheap
    good battery life
    GPS
    good screen
    lightweight
    small

colonelwax
    Free Member

Got an iPad 2 at work, and Transformer too. Much much happier with my Nexus, does everything I want.

Get it 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Very useful to know bails

Julian – sounds like what I’ve read and for me the camera isn’t an issue.

johnners
    Free Member

Great for email, calendars, Twitter, Netflix, watching films and TV. Very good display and decent battery life.

Pretty useless for displaying web pages IMO, it’s just too small.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Nexus is a great toy.

Cougar

I’d love one with microSD and HDMI

Nexus 7 supports MHL, you can get an adapter to convert the uUSB socket to a HDMI port for about a tenner.

johnnystorm

Consider a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7″. Carphone warehouse selling them for £147 with £30 cash back & free 8gb micro SD. At £117 it’s a bargain. With the free card you have 16gb storage and can obviously add more. It’s also got a reasonable rear facing camera. Got mine yesterday and very happy. 😀

40mpg

Just got my daughter a Samsung one, she seems very pleased with it and does what johnnystorm says.

Quite fancy one myself!

Mounty_73

I was about to buy a nexus, but the samsung 10inch is available with cash back…..seems like a good deal?

TooTall
    Free Member

Just got the Nexus 7 this morning for Mrs TT. Great little thing, does what it does very well, got a £2 USB cable coming so we can plug in flash drives etc for extra storage.

julians
    Free Member

samsung tabs are decent, but the processor is not as powerful ,tab is dual core tegra 2, whereas nexus is quad core tegra 3.

Depends whether you’d rather have sd card slot/camera over raw processing power

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got one, really good bit of kit and I have to disagree with the statement that it’s no good for web pages, I’ve had no problems and don’t see why you would struggle.

I’ve previously had a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 which was particularly cheap and nasty and an iPad 3 which was obviously really well made but I just didn’t get on with iOS.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I bought a Nexus 7 16gb about 8 weeks ago. It’s for sale as my situation has changed (need a smartphone) …. but it really is a nice bit of kit tho, superfast, amazing HD, and was a blast to revisit GTA III!

Like new, box, screen protector from new, with apple green PU leather case/stand, charger and USB OTG cable and extra screen protectors. 155.00 posted if interested or will swap for a Galaxy S2 phone

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I’ll have no problem with the screen size for browsing as I do lots of browsing on my phone so it’s huge in comparison 🙂

The Samsung Tab 2 7″ does look good for the money but the reviews are a bit meh and I reckon it’ll show its age quite quickly with the hardware specs (which is what has happened to my Arnova 10 – it struggles to run the latest big apps).

Looking at the Nexus 7 32Gb from PC world – £10 ‘off’ with quidco makes it £190 which is pretty good value.

Cougar – thanks for the MHL tip – a quick google seems to suggest that it isn’t MHL compatible though?

johnnystorm

At the risk of sounding like an environmental disaster if a “good” tablet costs just over £100 now why spend half or more again to future proof it. By the time my Samsung tab is old hat ill just buy the “new version” that will probably make all of the previous generation look a bit tardy for similar/less cash. I’d only avoid the really cheap Chinese ones that aren’t much cop in the first place.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, that is fair comment. I suppose that I’m basing my view on the fact that the Samsung is already lagging behind a bit while the Nexus is right up there for reasonable money and I reckon that Google will tend to support it better (longer term) than Samsung will since this seems to be more of a direct competitor to iPads than tablet not quite so specifically branded as google.

weeksy

I have a NExus… we did a long thread on them recently.

It’s great and i like it 🙂

Cougar

a quick google seems to suggest that it isn’t MHL compatible though?

I hope that’s not true, cos I’ve just bought a cable. I’ll let you know after Christmas when I’ve got my pad. (-:

Cougar

Seems you might be right. Arse.

On the upside, it looks like my phone (HTC Sensation) does support it, so it’s not a dead loss.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Love mine, great piece of kit, used my laptop about twice since I got mine 2 months ago. Perfect size for me, can hold it just like a paperback in one hand, very powerful.

I’ve used it for everything from web to games, to downloading photos via OTG cable, editting (basic rotate and crop) and storing on my NAS or posting online.

Lots of tips in here too:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/buying-first-tablet-confused

dthom3uk

I have a Nexus 7 and was really happy with it until recently when I only started to get playback through one headphone when listening to music. I wouldn’t say its a common problem but there is evidence on the web of other people having the same issue. I’ve tried a number of different headphones as well.

I might have to take it back………..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Nexus 7?’ is closed to new replies.