Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Anyone got a mini?? a real mini that is! none of this BMW tosh!
  • willy
    Free Member

ive always been into them, and recently bought myself one, just wondered if any of you bikers have one?

+any bike rack solutions? :p

PJ266
    Free Member

Yep, had mine since I was 14! Currently off the road til I finish university 🙁

You can put bikes on a roof mounted rack with roof bars, or one of the racks that goes on the back, just open up the rear windows and hook the straps in there.

Have fun, look after it! Half the fun is spending hours on your back or with your head stuck under the bonnet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know the guy that runs this:

http://www.theminiworks.co.uk/

Still fancy one. He put his in the back. I'd have thought a roof rack would work well.

Trekster

Had a Cooper before kids came along and traded up to an Allegro 😆

Used both for some 12car road rallying and autotesting for a few years.

Got another bare shell which I had to let go when I moved house and money became a luxury, 20yrs ago ❗ 🙄

Would love another, mabees a retirement prezzie/treat/luxury

Also used to maintain a mates 1293S rally car, that was FUN 😈

scaredypants

my 1st car was a mini 🙂

I killed it 🙁

goon
    Free Member

my 1st car was a mini

I killed it

Same here, and I was bloody lucky I didn't kill myself as well.

ivantate
    Free Member

I have had one for the 14years although it has been sat in the garage for the last 5 of them. I will get round to sorting out the 80000miles of grief i gave it.

my zaskar of the time went where the passenger seat went, I put the seat upside down behind the drivers seat. wheels either side and a bag on the back seat.

incognito
    Free Member

no but I'm tempted to get one like in hora's link. I put it down to the mid-life crisis I think I'm entering.

this doesn't take your fancy then?

😆

CHB

They were great in the 60's, but lets face it they are crap compared with pretty much any modern car.
    I had one as my first car. Rusty little pile of shyte.
    In fact the austin metro I had after was an improvement.

Just out of curiosity I had a look on autotrader….jeesus…. £2000 for a 16 year old one litre car with an inefficient ancient engine design.

I am all for nostalgia, and classic design, but theres a lot of tat out there.

hora
    Free Member

this doesn't take your fancy then?

Truly hideous. Why is the rear badge so-big?

incognito
    Free Member

If I bought one it would be for fun only and live in the garage when not in use. let's face it, if you keep in top notch condition, you won't lose on it.

the-muffin-man

I had two in the past (15-20yrs ago) and my wife had 3 including an original 850cc 60's model. Couldn't live with one now though.

incognito
    Free Member

it's the new big mini. utterly ridiculous.

see here: autotrader

hora
    Free Member

let's face it, if you keep in top notch condition, you won't lose on it.

Agree!

incognito
    Free Member

Some plastics in out-of-the-way places feel a little cheap for a model that starts at £22,030

😆

hora
    Free Member

It looks like a Altea to me, average interior space but a largish bulbous body.

willy
    Free Member

thought there might be a few 😉 i have manages to get a nice long wheelbase/long forked demo 7 in the back already 😀 but mine has stupid harnesses fitted which are mounted in the back of the rear seats so that gets in the way alot! i also dont have the rear opening windows so cant put the bike rack there 🙁

incognito – you ruined this thread with that 🙁
    its not the point about the car being reliable or practical, minis are just ace!

el_boufador

yep I had one as my first car – happy days!

bike went on the back seat, I ocassionally used a roof rack but didn't trust it!

mamadirt
    Free Member

pulls up a chair

It looks like a Altea to me, average interior space but a largish bulbous body.

I thought that about the newer minis but they look a lot less bulbous with colour matched wheel arches. Here's ours – to be collected this week 😛

adam_h
    Free Member

I picked mine up when I was 16, did it up for when I passed my test at 17. Sold it after a year, will have another one some day though 🙂 Bloody loved that car.

Probably spent an equal amount of time in my garage fixing it as I did driving it! Regularly scrapped the sumpguard and pulled the exhaust off the manifold a fair few times due to it being about 4 inches off the road. Stuck to the road like glue though and you could here it from miles away on a quite night. Think the website I made about it is still going if you click on my user name.

PJ266
    Free Member

This ones mine 😀

I heart my mini.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Really like the original and the new version. Shocking huh?

skiboy
    Free Member

i had one as a first car, clubman, loved it so did three of my mates who owned it before me (in 6 months), i had met a new girl who lived 20 miles away, while my mate rick took pity and sold it to me for £25, he bought another one a few days later, happy days indeed, my wife had one when i first met her, if we went anywhere we would always take her car and i would drive 😀

ski
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member

Really like the original and the new version. Shocking huh?

Here too, owned both versions in the past & still don't get this anti BMW tosh from some of the BMC owners?

stumpy01

Mamadirt – wasn't the comment about bulbous body with little interior space aimed at the new Clubman, not the normal mini?

willy
    Free Member

this is mine ..

Dibbs
    Free Member

I share one (1981 City) with my son, just as a plaything, we fitted a MG Metro engine a while back but haven't got round to finishing it off yet.
    So much more that you can diy compared to a modern car.

teef
    Free Member

Saw the remains of a original mini after a motorway crash once – looked like a tin can that had been runs over by a truck (probably had). Any occupants had no chance – wouldn't get me in one for anything.

Timmo
    Free Member

Willy. My old mini was reg DHO 480S! seems they prolly came from the same place??

i had 2, a '79 1000, plain as the day it rolled out, and a '77 1000, with an 1100 lump in which i put a stg3 head on, David vizard carb, lcb and single box Rc40 exhaust, was silly low but mainly due to having knackered suspension! 5×10 chrome alloys, stripped out and a pair of bucket seats!

they were a Lot of fun, no doubting but! as soon as i got a 'decent' car it quickly became apparant in just How many short comings it had!!!!
    Great car to learn to drive in mind, everything had to be done on timing! no chance of bnooting it and going past loL!

would i have one now, Erm, No! good fun when younger, but since i think i single handedly funded Isopon through buying uncoupious amounts of isopon P38 easy sand i have no desire to spend Hours grinding, filling, sanding, priming etc. or hunched over trying to fix something in the engine bay lol!
    that and i personally dont see that they are worth half the value most seem up for!!!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I miss my '79 998 with minilites and s discs! It was my first car and I had it for 3 or 4 years but I couldn't afford to keep it alive 🙁

Lift-off oversteer on wet roundabouts is one reason why I will be buying another one day

IanMunro
    Free Member

Crikey, the new one's a bit maxi.

PJ266
    Free Member

Pretty much the reason I dont appreciate the new one being associated with the classic one. Alec Issigonis would not be particularly pleased.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They're making a 'new' one thats the same size as the old one 🙂

Good old BL, I know lets put the endie sideways, it'll be revolutionary!

Wont that mean the electrics point out the front of the engine and stop working each time it rains?

Naaaa, It'll never go fast enough to get caught in the car in front's spray anyway.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a mini?? a real mini that is! none of this BMW tosh!’ is closed to new replies.