Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone got a Mercedes-Benz Vito ?
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Thinking off getting one, the dualiner maybe (if its still class as a van)??????

Not sure of the "best one to get"?

About 2-3 years old, diesel and It wants to have two rows of seats (3 in back) so I can also chuck the bikes in the back.

Any help, pics please.(Merc website is biz)

Also are these classed as "vans" because I want only to pay "van tax" as it will be a company car purchase.

Cheers. 😀

nonk
    Free Member

i bought a vw combi from here.
    http://www.yell.com/b/S+and+L+Car+Sales-Car+Dealers+_+Used-Mold-CH76EA-3038658/index.html
    i know that they have loads of mercs in at the moment.
    good honest family run buisness.
    happy with my van.

duckman

I used to have one five years ago,the best van I ever drove,bombproof and drives like a car,unlike most.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    drfrasiercrane
    Free Member

I have a 52 plate old shape vito dualiner and it's great. Mine seats 3 in front and 3 in the back and the rear seats are removable very easily, so you can have either 3, 2 or 1 seat in the rear. I have managed to get 9 bikes in the back with the back seats still in and all 4 peoples gear for 2 weeks and 4 people. Can't recommend them enough.

It can be fairly difficult to get hold of a good one though. I pay car tax on mine and it gets accross both Severn bridges classed as a car. Not sure how the vehicle tax thing works though.

Hope this helps.

mr-bump
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but the van tax issue is pretty simple as i have just ftted seats into my van.

It will be classed as a van provided it is able to carry one ton after the extra seats have been fitted OR no more than half the dedicated load carrying capacity is used fitting the extra seats, this DOES include the original front seats.

Im not sure how much a vito can carry so you would have to ask Merc.

Provided it meets with either of the above it will still be classed as a van for tax purposes. 😀

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

I was all for buying a vito until i did some research.
    They seem to suffer from a lot of problems, major rust from just a few months old, electrical problems, drivetrain trouble etc
    Make sure you do all your research before buying.

Trekster

littleisthobbo who posts occasionally sells em
    Works for main dealer in Carlisle/Dumfries
    Wold post link if it was not classed as advertising ❓

singletrackmind

We just bought a 05 vintage van for work

Silly electric foot/handbrake thing is a pita.
    Rust as if made from rusty metal
    hand built by Spaniards
    Go like stink, good 6 speed box's, low geared as its a van, turbo's can be troublesome apparently. we paid £4600 82k , 1 owner, fsh .

singletrackmind

Duplex chain on the 2.2td , so no cambelts every 60K

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Rustbuckets!

MartynS

older ones are REALLY horrid to drive.. we had an 04 plate that gave me massive neck pain, however the newer ones are much better.
    Have been bomb proof.. not seen rust on ours, they do seem to be made of plastic. We have the autos which are good as a point and squirt. Fuel economy isn't smashing.

We had one at work when the old model first came out. it was nice to drive, but a pile of crap mechanically and quality wise. Getting any warranty work done was a PITA too.

VW is the way to go if you can afford one.

rusky
    Free Member

The guy next door had one. It was forever in with the local dealership for mechanical work. He sold it & got a VW.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I've seen rusty ones at 6 months, same goes for sprinters.
    Strangely though, the VW LT's don't seem to suffer, despite been almost the same van.

epicyclo

I drove one for about 150 miles. I reckon the Transit drives better.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I drive a 2008 111 vito (long) every day, 44.000 miles and no trouble… yet!

Anti roll bar bushes and Gearboxes seem to be the biggest problems,I have just bought a vito 115 sport for mountainbiking,getting about 35 to the gallon my old vw t4 did 31 (av)

The newer shape has a galvanised body so no rust worries,the latest sprinters seem to be giving problems though. 😥

Great to drive and very comfortable for motorways,will post some pics sometime 😉

getting about 35 to the gallon my old vw t4 did 31 (av)

Intersesting to note, when I get a flaming for driving a 4×4 for work which averages 30mpg, has been as low as 28 only when thrashed for a week with ladders on the roof and has been as high as 33mpg on a tank. Hardly a world changing difference from a totally acceptable van to an abhoration of an oil burning beast is it?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Cheers for the info, lots of different views, will have to do a bit more digging, do like the dualiner sport TBA. 8)

No company cartax and only vantax is a BIG PLUS 😯

marionheck
    Free Member

I have a dual liner 56 plate from new. Had no issues with it what so ever, no rust (that was the 638 not the newer 639 model that had the bad rust)
    feels like a car to drive. Only down side I have found is there is more VW pmping bits than merc ones so you can not pimp it that easily. ?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Any photos of these please, Ta.

mr-bump
    Free Member

Just for your info chap.
    Just seen that the current Vito has a load carrying capacity of around 960kg.

Just found this on the HM Customs website.

Vans with rear seats
    Some vehicles look like vans and don't have windows in the sides behind the driver. But they do have additional seats for carrying passengers behind the front row of seats (or they're designed so they can be fitted with them). They're sometimes known as combination vans or combi vans.

HMRC considers that this type of vehicle is a commercial vehicle for VAT purposes if it meets either of the following conditions:

It has a payload of more than one tonne after the extra seats have been added.
    The dedicated load area (the load area that's completely unaffected by the extra seats) is larger than the passenger area. This means that the main use of the vehicle is for carrying goods rather than passengers.
    If it meets either of these conditions then the vehicle is a commercial vehicle for VAT purposes and you can reclaim the input VAT if you follow the normal rules for reclaiming VAT.

Be careful that a dual liner will not count as a car for tax and VAT purposes.

Get it wrong and it can cause all kinds of trouble.

MartynS

oh, and don't forget that different speed limits apply with a van like that, Basically every time you lose a lane you lose 10mph of the national speed limit. Duel carriageways are 60, singles are 50.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

my vito sport long

singletracksurfer

great for biking. drives well. heavy gears and rust tho.
    would have got another transit if they had what i wanted though.

my vito is making a rattle from the dual mass flywheel (i think).
    its 03 reg done 88000 miles. am i in trouble?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

It is a known problem,some go early some go later 😥

singletracksurfer

nuts. whats the cost of that?

it just rattles (on and off) when idling.
    can it wait a while so i do it when the clutch inevitably goes, soon…….?

only just got it. seller said (promised) the garage said that is not a problem/worth doing now.
    so i do have have some comeback if thats cr@p.

thanks.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I think the clutch is around £200,labour will be at least double 🙁

If you have just bought it I would get onto them,the point is your not happy and the clutch is faulty.

Its not a difficult job to do, although because its rwd the labour times go up a bit,if its a dealer they should stand all costs,if its private you might be able to negotiate the price of the parts etc.

It could be the clutch release mechanisem thats faulty and not the clutch basket itself.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Mercedes-Benz Vito ?’ is closed to new replies.