Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anyone got a Mega TR?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

After my earlier thread regarding frame size it’s time to find a replacement frame for my meta AM.

I was looking at a Yeti 575 or at a stretch an SB66 but I’ve just stumbled across the Meag Tr on CRC and it looks like a great frame at a really good price.

How does the 130mm hold up? Obviously coming from the meat am I going to miss the travel?

Anybody got one and can comment on the ride?

CrispyCSW

Just bought one myself, but haven’t built it up yet. I’ve read lots of good things and I’m hoping it’ll be a good compliment to my dialled alpine.

I’m coming from a carbon nomad which I loved but was more bike then I needed for 95% of my riding.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah the meta am is overkill for me and simply too big, couldn’t run a dropper.

Seems a reall bargain with the 10% so think I’ll have one.

devash
    Free Member

Great bike. Had a ride on a mates not so long ago. A little heavy though and definitely geared more towards the downs than the ups.

I was looking at the complete bike on there when CRC had their sale a couple of months back.

I think the whole bike, with Monarch RCT3 rear and 150 Revs upfront with SRAM kit worked out at around 1600 with one of the 1-day discount coupons.

I’m kicking myself that I didn’t buy it now. Insane bargain. The frame at £800 is a steal although I do fancy one of the Yeti ASR5 frames too.

shredder
    Free Member

Recently built one up after spotting them on CRC.
    New bike thread Mega TR
    It’s superb in a word feels to have more travel than its 130mm. Climbs well descends well just a good trail bike, get one you won’t be disappointed .

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’ve gone from an SB66 to mega tr.

Mega tr pedals better, jumps better, feels stiffer and structurally more composed on big hits.

SB66 is 150mm, mine had a vivid air, in terms of eating the rough stuff, apples and oranges.

Mega tr is a fun bike, good for the “play” rider. By play i mean someone who is looking to makes shapes in the air, manual and gap everything in sight, something that is involved.

As a actual trail bike, the tr is most probably a bit heavy and not as good at pedalling as a proper trail bike like a sc solo for example, if you’re after a mincy comfy sofa when you are riding trail centres and tame stuff, it isn’t that either.

Mine rips, i love it, it’s like a big off road BMX.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

How do they size up?

The 17″ meta am doesn’t leave room for a dropper so the small Tr (15.75) should be perfect.

Any idea of the stand over?

oli31
    Free Member

Just finished building mine with 160 pikes, car park test ride only so far but medium size feels right for me at 5′ 8”. It is pretty heavy but looks substantial. Proper ride tomorrow at afan so will report back

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Why not look at some of the whyte bikes they are also awesome for the money

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Looking at frame only, thinking about a bandit too.

I’m going to be riding the peak area and wondering if the 130mm rear travel will be enough.

sprocker
    Free Member

My mate has one with 150mm pikes on and we ride in the peak, definately does not hold him back he is quick. He had a meta 55 before and says the tr is night and day better. The pikes help with that no doubt but it’s a really sorted frame.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah I have 150mm pikes to go on.

It looks perfect. Now to decide on the black or grey.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Can anyone who has one confirm if you can remove the stickers?

I love the grey but I’m not keen on the red pinstripe.

Sticker or under the lacquer?

oli31
    Free Member

yep stickers under lacquer

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah ok, that brings it back to black then.

The grey does look really nice though. Is it a matte finish?

oli31
    Free Member

not really matte but not as shiny as the black or in yer face as the yellow : )

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Oli any pics of yours about mate?

Jeffus
    Free Member

Are you going 26 or 27.5 ? out of interest…

oli31
    Free Member

mid build so excuse the mess!

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/oli_31/library/

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

26 version mate. 2×10 setup with new pikes set at 150mm.

What worries me is coming from a 150mm meta and riding in the peaks.

daveh
    Free Member

You know where I am if you want to try a Bandit! You’ve got Pikes now? How do they compare to the Slants?

SOAP
    Free Member

I had a Bandit as first choice and a Nukeproof as second choice but a deal on a Blur Tr came off. 🙂
    Interested to know how your Slants were as replacing my 32” with Slants set at 130mm

daveh
    Free Member

Have a poke around in my forum history, i’ve been quite active in evangelising about Slants! Short version is they’re by far the best fork I’ve had, massively stiffer and notably better damped than the Rev RCT3 i had before it (and sold to Mosey 😳 😆 ). I’m interested just how close their performance is to the mighty Pike, I know Loco will be able to comment shortly (as he’s just got some Sweeps) and apparently Mosey’s quest for fork domination continues! One review suggests its very close, but their prices are anything but!

deanfbm
    Free Member

No worry in the peak district with 130, peak is only eroded cart tracks afterall 😉

Not saying im a riding god or owt, but if all you’re doing is point and shoot on the classic bridleway peak district riding, once you’ve come to the realisation that straight lining on rocky stuff is a piece of piss, nothing is going to go wrong, it sort of kills the fun of it. Peak district was most fun for me on a charge blender with 100mm forks.

A capable bike in the peak district always felt like the downs weren’t fun enough to warrant the extra work going up.

But that’s just me, what’s that saying, opinions are like arse holes……

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Heres mine, really good bike 🙂 Grey a lot nicer in the flesh that it looks in photos.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Steven yours is the reason, via google images, that I’m thinking grey.

Dave, i might take you up on the bandit ride. The pikes were a present Christmas/engagement/first teaching job.

xterramac
    Free Member

CRC have it at £2029.99 currently. Is this typical rock bottom for crc or is it worth waiting to see if there’s a chance of it coming down a bit more? Cheers macca

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I was going to go frame only as they are a bargain.

I’m demoing a mates sb66 tomorrow as I’m still stuck on wanting, not needing, more than the 130mm.

daveh
    Free Member

2nd opinion that Slants (et al) are very close to ‘the best’ but at a bargain price: Dirt 100.

jimmy

[quotewondering if the 130mm rear travel will be enough[/quote]

I’d say just right.

tommyhine

Love mine, first ride at Cannock on Saturday and was great fun. It was 13kg the other day with a double at the front but probably lighter now as I’ve gone single now. So much fun and handles very well.

Having said that it was much easier going uphill when I had a go on my brothers Haibike although I did feel like a cheating so and so!

trigrwoods
    Free Member

Anyone riding one of these with a 160 fork? Im currently riding mine with a revelation team fork and although i really like it i feel like the bike could handle the bigger 160 fork no probs. Im toying with the idea of getting a set of x-fusion slants but i worry about the front wondering a fair bit on the steep technical climbs. Can anyone put my mind at ease or would it be a case of pros (being the downs) and cons (being the ups)?

oli31
    Free Member

I’ve got 160 Pikes on mine and seems very well behaved on the ups and downs. I know it’s a bit counter intuitive having so much more travel at the front but the pikes do seem to suit this bike and my riding style well.

On another note the standover seems much better than my old Meta and the bike really rewards brakes off, weight forward style riding : )

chickenman

I thought about getting a TR frame but didn’t in the end. My thoughts were; a) being essentially single pivot these bikes don’t like you if you pussyfoot with the brakes going downhill, reviews commented on the back end becoming skittish during braking. I’m not feeling Mr Confident going downhill ATM after a nasty OTB a few months back.
    b)they are a bit lardy.
    c) at their full price of £1350 for the frame with basic Monach shock, I didn’t think they represented VFM, especially as the finish on them makes them look like a £150 Asda bike rather than a bike costing £2200.
    I have never ridden one and clearly loads of folk love theirs; just expressing a contrary opinion.
    ps, bought a Liteville 301 frame with Kashima RP23 for £1195 in the end.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Yea, sketchy phone pic inspiration.

PS quality is spot on. This is coming from (and selling) 2k frames, of which i could have afforded again. Headtube, seattube and BB shell are round, threads well prepped, everything looks straight and fits together like it should. All hardware is nicely finished, pretty sure its mainly ti, i dont actually understand where quality is lacking.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Mega TR?’ is closed to new replies.