Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone got a marzzochi 32mm bushing press I can borrow?
  • glenh
    Free Member

Bit random I know, but my local Marz 'service center' don't seem very keen on replacing mine unless I pay for a full service (which they don't need as I've done it myself several times except for the bushes).

I already have the bushes and am quite happy to pull the fork apart and replace them myself if only I had the tool….

peachos
    Free Member

i was under the impression you could do it without the tool? haven't tried on my Z1's yet but will be doing when they need it. only £20 on CRC
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25123

have you managed to remove them yet?

glenh
    Free Member

Nope, haven't tried to remove them yet.
    Don't you need a removal tool?

Also, a lower as well as an upper bushing press too?

funkynick

As glenh says, first you need to get the b*gg*rs out… the tool for that costs about £100 on CRC.

Or, you can modify some washers, add that to a length of threaded bar, and you can make yourself something similar!

As for putting them back in… I re-used my extraction tool, and then used a hammer to tap them in.

It took me the best part of 2 evenings to get this done, including making the extraction tool and ferreting about in my big box of tools for various sockets that were the right size.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

easypeasy;

1) remove old oil seals
    2) read instructions on fitting new oil seals
    3) fit oil seals as per how you interpreted the instructions
    4) refit stanchions
    5)a)Push stanchions into lowers. Wonder WTF the resistance is about.
    5)b)Continue to force stanchions into lowers.
    6) remove stanchions.
    7) Marvel at deep gouge along full length of stanchion caused by displaced spring from oil seal which had trapped between stanchion and bush.
    8 ) Order new forks.

Happy to Help 😳

glenh
    Free Member

nick – I'm always one to give a bit of DIY a go. I have one question though:

How do you get your washers past the bushings in the first place in order to pull them out? They can't go in from below and surely they have to be bigger than the bushing inner diameter to pull them out?

p.s. I'll try and avoid that method if you don't mind munqe-chick!

julianwilson
    Free Member

start with the 'right' sized washer, then cut 4-5mm off each side to make it an oval sort of shape and you could widen the hole into a slot in the same direction as your cuts. Then thread nuts onto rod so that washer 'jangles' between them, and slants sideways through bushing but pulls up behind it when you pull it out. The hard part will be knocking them out as your uppers will be too soft to use a bearing puller or similar: the real tool has something on the end that you can hit with a soft face hammer to yank the whole tool back out of the lowers again.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Oh the things that get fixed on your bike when you are injured. Did you have a success?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a marzzochi 32mm bushing press I can borrow?’ is closed to new replies.