• This topic has 43 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Anyone got a Large Airdrop Edit around Glasgow I can throw a leg over
  • Johnbot
    Free Member

The edit is top of my list just now, just want to try one out for feel before I dive in. 6’1″ so a large should be fine, thanks for any help

Johnbot
    Free Member

Visibility bump

rob8624
    Free Member

I just got a V2 edit, I’m just over 6ft 2 and a large is perfect.

Finding the bike to be a complete beast going downhill but a bit of slog on the ups!

joebristol

I test rode one a few months back and it was a nice bike. The one I tried had a coil shock – on a fire road the climb switch made it fine going uphill. I suspect it would have been better up with an air shock. Wouldn’t say it was wildly hard work uphill compared to my normal bike at the time which weighed about 13kgs.

I’m 5’9 with long legs / short arms for my height and the medium was ok. Defo think you’d need a large.

For me the Bird Aeris 145 was more fun though…..

Johnbot
    Free Member

Rob, yeah i think the fit will be fine, need to see it in the flesh too i suppose. Little concerned about your slog comment, i hoped it would have been a decent climber with a 76deg seat angle. Coming from a Mega with a 72 its gonnna be better by comparison right?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I test rode the medium and large. At 5’10” I’m on the cusp of most bikes but certainly preferred the medium for Airdrop.

I think the climbing comment depends a lot on what you’re climbing. It’s a supple horst link design that outclimbed other bikes (including Bronson and nomad) on steep rough technical ground. However, because that suspension gives giving no matter what, it can feel a bit sloggy on tarmac or fire road. Having said that, a climb switch can work wonders and as its a mountain bike, I know what sort of climbing I’d rather compromise.

I was really impressed by them as a bike, a brand and a company and can’t speak highly enough of them.

brant
    Free Member

Coming from a Mega with a 72

A Nukeproof Mega? That doesn’t have a 72deg seat angle.

nickc

It’s not a bad technical climber the four bar is very supple. how draggy it is depends on what you were riding before I guess.

Its a great bike, echo the comments on size, I’m also 5’10” on a med.

Johnbot
    Free Member

The 2013 does Brant, thanks for putting me at easy guys. Mostly it is going to be winching up fire roads, Golfie, Inners, Dunkeld, Pitlochray Ae etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Any negative will be made up for on the way down, I promise.

brant
    Free Member

The 2013 does Brant,

The original one (that I worked on with them) was pretty steep seat angle. I didn’t work on the 2013 one, but by the look of it, the seat tube is forward offset from the BB so the effective seat angle will be steeper than the angle of the seat tube, which might be 72degs. That’s what it says on the geometry chart though. Right odd.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Yeah to be honest I always thought it climbed better than it should for the numbers.

rob8624
    Free Member

Regarding my ‘slog’ comment – that was after the first ride, mainly on fireroads, and coming from a lot lighter bike. After a couple more outings, it’s fine, great on technical climbs and pretty much the same as any enduro bike on long fire roads.

The bike is unbelievable on downhills (i’m running a coil with Lyriks), just point it where to go and it just keep accelerating. I’m finding I have to rail it in a bit, to be honest.

sharkattack

…. just point it where to go and it just keep accelerating. I’m finding I have to rail it in a bit, to be honest.

Sounds like my kind of bike.

Any pictures?

nickc

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you want pics, have a look on Facebook. The first batch of V2s has arrived and there’s a lot of great custom colour schemes cropping up right now.

joebristol

One of the V2’s is online in black, with black forks and white decals. Looks really nice.

sharkattack

Been following on Instagram for ages. They do look cool. They look amaaazing if you get the colour scheme right. I’m thinking black on black with added blackness.

Ed also just moved in about 30 seconds away from where I work so I might ask him if I can drop in when he’s got a large V2 to bounce on.

For me the new CC coil shock is a must have. Maybe even a Lyric, they’re only marginally heavier than a Pike. Once the big stuff is in place I can go mad on carbon bits using some ‘mates rates’ that I’ve been waiting to take advantage of.

Can not wait to take a break from the hardtail.

joebristol

When I had a go on an Edit it had a Yari on the front and a coil shock in the back. The Yari didn’t feel all that brilliant in comparison.

So if you’re going to go coil I think I’d look at getting a Lyrik at least to try and match the back as much as possible. With a coil it was very active yet also swallowed huge hits. Impressive stuff. Since tried a Yari on something else and it matches an air shock better than a coil.

poah
    Free Member

I found a pike with the luftkappe was almost balanced with the CC coil IL on my suppressor. I’ve recently replaced the pike with a mattock pro 2 with the IRT system and its a better match than the pike was.

phil56

Here’s mine

jamesfts
    Free Member

Interested to hear how have people got on with their CC coil IL shocks, worth while upgrade over the Monarch+?

OP – size wise at 6ft 1 I’d be looking at a large or possibly x-large. I’m getting on for 6ft and on a large.

Here’s mine

Very nice, interesting to see the V2 dropper routing – would be tempted to change the brake hose routing though.

rob8624
    Free Member

Mine. Coil is great. Very plush, small bump sensitivity is great. Not really played with the rebound.

Johnbot
    Free Member

That’s the scheme at the top of my list Phil. It looks best in medium imo, the lines are pretty much bang on, the large is slightly off, top tube to seat stay looks a bit slanty. That’l suit my riding though!

oldtalent
    Free Member

I ordered a red large v2 frame only yesterday and emailed and left a voice mail for some queries. He hadn’t got back to me yet which is a bit disappointing.
    How long have people had to wait for their delivery ?

Johnbot
    Free Member

I was emailing him last week, asked the lead time question and he said a week to a week and a half just now from order to delivery. Will depend on if you have altered the spec at all but doesn’t sound like you have.

jackal
    Free Member

Phil56, what size is that? Love the raw ones.

phil56

Mine is a large – I’m 6ft and it feels spot on
    Oh – and the rear brake hose has been rerouted since the photos!

santacoops
    Free Member

Nice photo Rob, what do you do for a living? 😉

Bagstard
    Free Member

Hopefully getting my frame tomorrow, come on postie!

jamesfts
    Free Member

If we’re doing photos….

Here is my large V1 in raw along side mini-me’s xxxxs, also in raw.

Johnbot
    Free Member

That’s a really cool picture James, bike looks mean with the yellow rims!

nickc

and the rear brake hose has been rerouted since the photos!

where have you put it, out of interest?

jamesfts
    Free Member

Cheers John, great bit of kit – you won’t be disappointed if you get one.

where have you put it, out of interest?

I’d guess the same but up the inside of the frame, more than likely be fine like that but I’d be sure to catch it on something and rip the hose out of the calliper, same with the forks.

Johnbot
    Free Member

A nice man from here let me try his bike, I liked it, I bought it and it arrived today.

Not my fence, not my grass.
    Frame Airdrop Edit V2 Large
    Fork Rockshox Pike RC Solo Air 160
    Rear Shock Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair
    Headset Cane Creek 40 ZS44/56
    Headset Spacers Cane Creek Interlok Composite 5mm x3
    Rear Axle Rockshox Maxle 142x12mm
    Seatpost Rockshox Reverb Stealth B1
    Seat Clamp Hopetech Dropper Clamp
    Rear Derailleur SRAM GX 1×11
    Shifter SRAM GX 1×11
    Cassette SRAM XG-1150 10-42
    Chain SRAM PC-X1
    Cranks SRAM GX1200 DM32
    Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP Team
    Brakes SRAM Guide R
    Rotors 35 Classic Wave 180mm
    Wheels Hopetech Pro 4 Enduro
    Tyres Maxxis High Roller II 27.5×2.3 EXO/TR
    Tubeless Setup Effetto Mariposa Rim Tape with Caffélatex Sealant
    Stem Joystick Builder 35mm
    Handlebars Renthal Fatbar Carbon 780mm
    Saddle Nukeproof
    Grips ODI Rouge
    14.8KG / 32.6lbs
    3,000gbp

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gid stuff.

mark90
    Free Member

Nice. Very similar spec to my mates Edit. For info he’s up to 8 bands in the same shock now.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Mark, sorry man not following what you mean by bands?

mark90
    Free Member

The tokens / rings / volume spacers for making the air spring more progressive.

http://www.tftuned.com/rockshox-bottomless-ring-kit/p3124

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nice. Very similar spec to my mates Edit. For info he’s up to 8 bands in the same shock now.

Hmmmm… Sounds like the suspension platform may be a bit shite?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Large Airdrop Edit around Glasgow I can throw a leg over’ is closed to new replies.