Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Anyone got a Kona Honzo?
  • dexterbexley
    Free Member

Interested as it ticks lots of boxes but bit worried about the portly weight – has anyone got any ride reviews to share?

rOcKeTdOg

MrTall was getting one i think, have search through his posts

MicArms

its in bits in his garage waiting for his friendly home mechcanic to slap it all together for him.. I felt weight of frame ( 6.5 lbs) but it didn’t feel too heavy , that is for a 20in long .

top tip. for the headset cups, if doing self build you WILL need H bottom cup ( if using Hope mix and match ) not F as some people here, or even the shop that sold it him said..

hope headset info

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrTall
    Free Member

Yep,

Being built at the moment – if him up there will get off his fat arse and come around and sort it out….. 😉

Bedmaker off here has one and it was his thread that set me off buying one

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-sort-of-nich-but-not-really

Seems a nice frame but it’ll not be ridden until the weekend so no idea how it rides etc. All the research i found before i pulled the trigger was positive though.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Looking forward to hearing how it rides. I’m 6ft5 – do you reckon a 20L is the way to go? Where did you get yours from out of interest? Ta.

MrTall
    Free Member

Dexter, got mine at Bothy Bikes, same as Bedmaker.

20L is ‘probably’ (fingers crossed!!) just about big enough for me in the seat tube. Top tube seems liek it should be fine as although it’s shorter than my other HT 29ers, it’s marginally longer than my Salsa Big Mama FS and i’m comfortable on that.

Full bikes are for sale at Cyclestore.co.uk with 10% off (no idea about stock though) but i think the spec is very poor (£1600 HT and they give you an Alivio shifter!!!) Mine has cost me a smidge more than a full rrp bike but it’s of a far better spec.

You’d be welcome to have a go on it (once it’s built) if you’re ever around the Midlands?

rOcKeTdOg

Is Mick adding tiger/zebra stripes to it too?

Sancho
    Free Member

I’m off to look at the Kona range tonight at the Harrogate show, Im liking the Kona stuff at the moment but prices seem steep.

MrTall
    Free Member

I must admit it’s an expensive frame considering it’s just a basic steel frame but there’s not a lot of choice out there for this kind of bike and everything else is pricy as well.

On-One will no doubt do something along these lines at some stage and it’ll be half the price.

I like the look of the Singular Buzzard but don’t know about the frame sizing and didn’t want to wait until the summer.

Rocketdog – there’s already one too many Tiger striped bikes in the midlands – i won’t be allowing a second one!

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Can anyone verify the 35.5lbs claim here?

That is one heavy hardtail…

MrTall
    Free Member

It wouldn’t surprise me at all given the low spec. The wheels are meant to be particularly heavy from what i read in the reviews.

I got mine mostly built up last night and weighed it at a shade under 28lbs. That was without pedals or brakes (calipers/hoses/levers – the 203/180 discs are already on the wheels).

So i reckon it should sneak in under 30lbs which seems to be par for the course on all my XL bikes.

If i’m honest i can’t see any reason not to go frame only on the Honzo as you could build a far better bike using well sourced decent kit for less than they are asking.

Looking forward to testing it soon though as i’m really liking the look of it now it’s almost finished.

rOcKeTdOg

pictures man, pictures!

pstokes99
    Free Member

In much the same way as he needs Mick’s technical assistance in finishing the build – there is no way he’s capable of posting pics on here.

He’s a good bloke, but inept on so many levels.

MrTall
    Free Member

Harsh but true…. 😳

Bike is now built and weighed in at 29.80lbs with pedals which i’m happy enough with. Still need to fiddle with a few bits (gear cable length, stem needs to be black, steerer needs one more trim and order my XT brakes to replace the deores i’ve put on off my SS in the meantime).

Saddle looks really high in a picture of it but looks fine in real life.

Rocketdog, if you have no objections i can email you a few pics later and you can add them to the thread if you like?

Looking forward to riding it in earnest but it’s unlikely to be this weekend now.

rOcKeTdOg

Okey doke rocketdoguk(at)gmail(dot)com

hugor
    Free Member

I wanna see these pics too.

shinsplints

Will you be able to stand far enough back to be able to get the saddle in the picture you big tall freak ? 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

I love you too Si 🙂

Pics will have to be tomorrow now as it was dark outside when i got back from my ride (not on the Honzo) due to a puncture (it seems the Stans sealant in my tubes could not cope with a single mighty thorn).

I’ll put the seat down to a more normal level so i don’t get called names and i’ll take the bike out of my garden as i don’t think i could cope with a STW garden scrutiny….. 🙂

bedmaker

I’ve got one and love it so far.

Weight – yes it’s a heavy frame but I don’t think it’s really a big deal. A carbon race frame will be about 3.5 lbs lighter and a weightweenie build on one of these will give a total weight of say 21 lbs. Transfer that build to a Honzo and you have a 24.5lb bike you can go XC racing on if you wish. 🙂

I think lighter wheels and fast rolling tyres make far more difference to ride than a few pounds sitting on the frame.
    It flies downhill, which is the priority as far as I am concerned and it feels nice and stiff pedalling and cornering hard.

Micarms is right, I said in a previous thread the bottom cup is F but it’s the H, I should have checked before posting shite.

The spec on the full bike looks a bit pants right enuff.

rOcKeTdOg

As promised

Honzo 002.jpg by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Honzo 005.jpg by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Honzo 004.jpg by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Looks nice – can’t believe that a 20L could look so ‘normal’!

Now just have to decide to get a Honzo, or get into more debt and get a Norco Shinobi or a Spec Camber 29er…

rOcKeTdOg

it’s very “new Scandal” i thought

MrTall
    Free Member

Cheers for putting the pics up RD.

It would look less normal if the saddle was up at the correct height for me which is a few inches higher but then i have stupidly long legs even for my height (6’7″). It was ‘amended’ for the purposes of showing it on the net. Note the valves and logos are lined up….

I’ve cut the steerer down twice already but will probably take a bit more off once i’ve had a few rides on it and checked the fit. I’ll also put a proper stem on it as it’s an old spare one on there at the moment to check the reach before i bought another.

Can’t ride it yet though as there’s a weird problem with the fork and tyre clearance. I’m used to the lowers on Reba 29ers not being dead centred but it seems worse on this one and the tyre rubs on the lower disc side quite badly with only a 2.25″ tyre. However, it seems fine when i turned the wheel around to check the dish so it could be the wheel (both fork and wheels are brand new?). Will get the LBS to check the wheel and try a few others in there as well.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Mr Tall – are you anywhere near the South East? I’d love to try the 20L for size. I have promised myself that I won’t buy bikes until I’ve at least sat on them, and preferably ridden on local trails, after too many costly mistakes (anyone want to buy an XL Swift…)

MrTall
    Free Member

I’m afraid not Dexter but i’m ‘only’ in the Midlands if you ever pass by this way (10 miles south of Brum).

Annoyingly i’ve not ridden it myself yet due to the dodgy fork so i can’t even say if it’s worth the trip!

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Has anyone else had any time on a Honzo? My bike itch needs to be satisfied and I can’t get a demo before I buy so need all the advice I can get.

sillyoldman

Only had 3 rides on mine but love it. Built up to be a surprisingly reasonable weight too.

ahwiles
    Free Member

mods? – can you close this thread please?

the honzo is a stupid bike, but i want one and this thread isn’t helping.

ta.

how does it climb with that bendy-back seat tube + short chainstay? – do you wheelie off the back as soon as it get’s steep, or is it ok ackshully? (I had a speccy enduro for a while, it was nearly perfect for me, but the stupid seat angle meant it had to go.)

MrTall
    Free Member

I’m sat with mine looking at me from across the lounge. It’s taunting me to ride it but because i’ve got stupid mis-aligned Reba forks on it i can’t. It’s very annoying.

Forks going to Fishers on Monday so hopefully i’ll get out on it soon.
    All i can say is that on the 2 epic 400m journeys i’ve taken it on to the LBS it’s excelled on the downs (off the kerb) and easily taken the climbs (back up the kerb the other side). I can’t see how it’ll be any worse off road 😉

dexterbexley
    Free Member

I just missed the cheap jan deal at Cyclestore.co.uk which is a bit gutting but they also give 10% of the price in bits – what’s the best way of losing weight from the stock bike for £160? I’m thinking an SLX chainset and the rest on some tubeless kit…

sillyoldman

Climbs well. ST angle isn’t daft on mine (effective angle dependent on saddle height), and the big BB drop helps keep the nose down.

MrTall
    Free Member

Dexter, for the cost of the full build i’d go for a frame only and build it up yourself.

With some savvy shopping i reckon you could get a full build for less than the rrp.

I reckon mine was around £1600-£1700 and weighs over 5lbs less than the stock model. My drivetrain came from Rose bikes (XT/XTR), forks from 29squadron, wheels from CRC (half price Sun Ringles) and then other bargain bits from CRC.

If you’re happy with a SLX level build i reckon you’d save at least £200 and even more if you use the classifieds/ebay.

hugor
    Free Member

I really like that bike.
    Looks surprisingly normal – ie not like a 29er.
    Perhaps thats a function of the frame size.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Mr Tall, I totally agree but due to other pressures I haven’t got the time or the inclination to build a bike at the moment. Will see if I can get any other online deals.

Would be interested to hear how it compares to a Singular Swift as that’s my only real 29er experience to date.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Is that position for the chain guide right?

Only asking as I had no end of issues the other night with the chain coming off, may’ve been the the sub zero temps making the much freeze and loose tension in the chain though.

MrTall
    Free Member

No idea if the chain guide is correct, as ever with Superstar stuff, a basic instruction sheet seems a bit beyond them…..

I’ve also not ridden it in anger yet so no idea if the guide is any good. I may also switch from the XT middle ring to a non ramped ring which should help if the chain comes off at all.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Mr Tall – are they the forks you got from 29squadron? I’m about to do the same (but with 140mm) and don’t really want some bent forks…

MrTall
    Free Member

Hi Dexter, sorry, only just seen your post.

I contacted 29squadron and they say they are aware of the problem but have never experienced it before so i may just be the unlucky one (although my 2009 120mm maxle rebas are also out of alignment just not quite as badly).

I have sent mine off to Fishers via my LBS as i was told by both LBS and 29squadron that Fishers UK will deal with a warranty claim.

I also emailed Fishers direct several days ago but have heard nothing from them at all which speaks volumes for their customer service.

Are you putting 140mm onto a Honzo frame or something else?

MrTall
    Free Member

Well Fishers may not have answered my emails but i don’t mind seeing as they have returned my forks to my LBS today with brand new lowers after they were only sent away on Tuesday. Can’t argue with that service!

They agree that the lowers were wrong and it was obviously no problem that i’d bought the forks abroad instead of the UK.

So hopefully i may actually be able to get out on the Honzo for a proper test ride this weekend. Assuming the new lowers are ok of course….. 🙂

mustard
    Free Member

hmmmmm, am thinking about some forks for the Swift but the issues with rockshox keep popping up lately and are putting me off. Need to have a dig about and see what other options there are that don’t involve selling a kidney…might involve buying a new frame that’ll take tapered forks though 🙄 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Kona Honzo?’ is closed to new replies.