Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone got a good Helvellyn route as GPX or TRL?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Looking to do a biggish ride involving Helvellyn on Saturday. Anyone got a good route?

I’ve got one from the Boggies site and one from the VG book but still open to suggestions.

Could you either post a link or email it to me?
    (email address in profile)

Ta,
    higgo

faz083
    Free Member

try this one:

http://fattyres.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/helvellyn-sticks-pass-route.gpx

Basically if you descend down Sticks Pass then you’re on a winner.

Check out my video if you want some convincing – it’s very steep in places !!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n47q6O06B5U[/video]

higgo
    Free Member

Thanks – Stick Pass video looks good but the route is a bit short at 12miles.

I’m in the area anyway but my mate’s driving up from Cheshire for the ride so I reckon it needs to be 18+ miles to get the right drive/ride ratio.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The classic big day out is via, Dockray,Brutts moss Great Dodd along the tops to Helvelyn and then dropping dollywagon to patterdale..

GaVgAs
    Free Member
    higgo
    Free Member

The classic big day out is via, Dockray,Brutts moss Great Dodd along the tops to Helvelyn and then dropping dollywagon to patterdale..

I think it’s going to come down to either that or this one: http://www.bogtrotters.org/route/showrouteframe.php?route=72

Any opinion on which is the better ride?
    (I guess the ‘classic’ is classic for a reason)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Why not do it twice if you want extra length?

Up Keppel cove, down the other side to Thirlspot. Then up Stannah Gill to Sticks Pass and back down to Glenridding. ANd you can always divert to the top and back on one of the crossings.

Its not a long distance, but its a very big ride!

faz083
    Free Member

12 miles yes… but you’ll spend 1.5 hours at least climbing it. I recall setting out about 3 and finishing about 6:45. So a 3h45m ride for 12 miles…

As suggested above just extend it a bit, but the sticks pass is a great descent.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

As gavgas said, which gives you this nice little descent at the end:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJlQxuYpUCM[/video]

ir_bandito
    Free Member

How about this for a longer version to increase the ratio of riding:hike-a-bike. (Dodds can be very boggy if wet making the climb up there horrid unless it’s bone dry)

From Patterdale, around the lake, and up to Dockray. Then along the Old Coach Road to St John in the Vale. South along the valley (via bridleway on the west side). Up to the ridge alongside Stannah Gill as suggested above, and down from Sticks Pass. Then back up Keppel Cove, along the ridge over the top. Down Dollywagon Pike and then down Grisedale.

Go large or go home!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The bogies route is ok Higgo, the only downside to the Great Dodd to Dockreay section is the boggy section at Brutts moss, Sticks pass is probably your best all round descent towards Glenridding as Dolly wagon is very steep sketchy in places, it really depends on your preferences on the kind of trail you like…have a good one

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just had a look at the Boggie route, I forgot about the descent down Birkside. You could do that instead of Dollywagon, then back up to Grisedla tarn via Great Tongue, or carry up the side of Raise Beck.

So many options, I’m going to have to go back and do it again soon!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

just had a play on bikehike.

Higgo – ygm 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

Thanks for the info all.

In the end we started on the Thirlmere side, went up Great Tongue, down to Patterdale, road to Dockray, Great Dodd – Helvellyn, down Birkside to finish.

Proper tired and achey now – enjoying some medicinal red wine until I can take more Ibuprofen!

p.s. we didn’t see another MTB all day – where were you all?

acidchunks

p.s. we didn’t see another MTB all day – where were you all?

Six of us went up via Kepple Cove and down via Dollywagon, didn’t see you either 😉

Cracking ride, tough though! lost could of how many times I dabbed a foot or stopped completely on the way down to the tarn.

Dirtbiker, thanks for sharing your vid, prompted several of us to pack pads for the descent 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a good Helvellyn route as GPX or TRL?’ is closed to new replies.